An Old Argument.... does it hold water?

by AK - Jeff 1495 Replies latest jw experiences

• tec
    tec

I am trying in vain to get you to think about the thread topic in terms of real people and real suffering

I am a real person; I have had real suffering; I do not for even a moment blame any of it on God. If a tornado came and took my house, my loved ones, every single thing other than my life... I would not blame it on God, or think God was somehow at fault in not preventing it. (as much as I CAN make a statement about something I would do in the future, that is... I tend not toward absolute statements even with regard to my own possible, future actions)

You are still evading the question with bland statements about god's inscrutability.

I have not evaded the question. I just have not given you the answer that you think is right.

Peace,

tammy

• caliber
    caliber

tec PM

• cofty
    cofty

Tec - If we read back the many responses from believers in this thread we have to conclude that the only honest answer is "we have not the slightest clue why an omnipotent god would do nothing to prevent suffering".

This ought to give pause to those who would recommend their god to others but strangely it never does.

• tec
    tec

Pm back atcha, Caliber :)

• tec
    tec

Cofty - many thoughts have been shared throughout this thread, based on some undertanding and some lack of understanding.

But 'I don't know' is the best answer when you actually... don't... know.

At the same time, in NO way does 'I don't know' = 'the answer is a bad one'.

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

Cofty - respect

• cofty
    cofty

If somebody is being questioned as to why they did something that resulted in the needless deaths of millions "I don't know "may be an honest answer but it does not lessen their culpability.

I was once like you, then one day I entertained the idea that there actually was no answer to the question of evil. At last the world made sense.

• tec
    tec

If somebody is being questioned as to why they did something that resulted in the needless deaths of millions "I don't know "may be an honest answer but it does not lessen their culpability.

Two things about this statement.

1 - Me or anyone else saying 'i don't know', is not God saying 'i don't know'.

2 - You're questioning why God 'didn't' do something. He did not sent a tsunami to kill people.

Peace,

tammy

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

tec - agree 100% with both your statements

• still thinking
    still thinking
    "we have not the slightest clue why an omnipotent god would do nothing to prevent suffering".
    This ought to give pause to those who would recommend their god to others but strangely it never does.

Cofty......you have a way of making me think...

If we haven't the slightest clue...we really should stop talking like we do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit