I am looking to buy a tablet.......................What are your experiences?

by finallysomepride 30 Replies latest social entertainment

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

I'm looking to purchase a 10" tablet & are seriously considering the Acer Iconia 16GB

Price has alot to do with it au$355

I don't need 3G as I have portable wifi & I don't want the extra month cost

16GB is big enough as I'm not looking for storage as I have over 20TBs at home

I need something fast processing & Android 3.0 nothing lower

I have had the optus 7" mytab & what a piece of shit that is, infact I have 2 both went back for refund.

Thanks

• cantleave
    cantleave

I bought Jane an iPad 16GB when they first came out (Non 3G) It has been a great tool. A bit more limited than a Laptop, and it doesn't suppport flash. The kids love it.

She can post on here by clicking the HTML function, and it's great for playing movies. Overall a good buy. Never used an Android tablet, so can't comment on that.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I found the recently released Sony Tablet S to be the fastest and most universal of Android type out in the market.

Its $499 in the US

Will be purchasing this one myself.

It does not have 3G but WiFi and Blutooth

http://store.sony.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=20153&catalogId=100803&langId=200&productId=8198552921666378720

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I have an iPad.

However, Amazon is releasing a new tablet for US $199, but the screen is only 7". They will have a 10" version soon.

The Motorola Xoom is available for close to what you are willing to pay, and it should be high-quality. The same goes for HP's Touchpad, but that runs WebOS, not Android. I've handled the Samsung Galaxy Tab, and it is excellent, but it is priced beyond your range.

• bohm
    bohm

The ipad2 may well be my first apple product, its a very nice device.

I would advice you to test them out in a store. Some of the android tablets are quite sluggish.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

Some of the android tablets are quite sluggish.

And some of the inexpensive ones have very poor touch screens. The problem is the hardware, not Android.

Make sure your new tablet has a dual core CPU. My Ipad 1 is a single core A4 and can't keep up. The Ipad 2 is much better, with a dual core A5---the same as the new iPhone 4s. Apple owns 70% of the tablet market.

The majority of the good non-Apple tablets are running Nvidia Tegra 2s, which have excellent performance. Next year we will see quad-core Tegra 3 tablets. The dual core Texas Instruments OMAP tablets run well too, but 70% of the non-Apple tablet market runs on Tegra, and the integrated GPU is very good, since that is Nvidia's specialty.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety

I take that back, the Tegra 3 is available in the Asus Transformer Prime that will launch at the beginning of November!

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2119065/asus-eee-pad-transformer-prime-nvidia-s-tegra-kal-el-chip

And I forgot to mention that Tegra 3 is actually a 5 core system. It has a funky extra core that helps keep idle power consumption low.

Very nice looking tablet and the performance should be amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp6MZupUq78

It should retail for under $400 US. We'll have to wait and see.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I think if you can spring for it, go for the iPad2. I use the thing all of the time for everything.

I played around with ? (forget which model it was) but Verizon offered it and it ran on the android platform. I worked fine, was a couple hundred less than ipad2, but you can just tell "the difference." Kind of like between Johhny Walker Red and Johnny Walker Black, if you know what I mean....

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I have an iPad 2 and I love it. I was thinking about getting another laptop after my old was destroyed but hubby talked me into getting the iPad and so far it's been a good move. The only thing I don't like about it is it doesn't support Flash. Whenever I'm here it's mostly on my iPad. Posting here has gotten a little better, since the last upgrade I don't have to use HTML to post and I can use the board smileys. I still can't post a clickable link or videos from YouTube tho'. I'm hoping another upgrade will fix that or maybe I'll discover how to do that on my own.

Overall I really like this pad.

• tenyearsafter
    tenyearsafter

I have an iPad 2 and my wife has a Dell Streak. They both have their pros and cons. First off, I would consider a 3G/4G enabled tablet...though it works great on wifi, you aren't always in a place that has wifi available and then your tablet is worthless for internet or mail. iPad is very well made, stable, great screen, 3g can be bought "on demand" with no monthly commitment, good apps and e-mail integration. The downside is that it has no storage capability (you have to send documents to e-mail to save), is quit costly and doesn't support Flash (so some websites won't work). The Streak is very affordable, supports 3G and 4G (in the US, T-Mobile supports the device), has a memory card slot, uses Android operating system and is easy to carry. The downside is 7" screen, lower than average battery life, Android OS is more glitchy than iOS and if you need to synch with Outlook, it is nearly impossible to do so without a third party program requiring you to tether to your computer to synch. If you are on MS Exchange Server, either device synchs wirelessly. Having used both, I prefer the iPad today...if Android stabilizes their OS a bit more, I would probably look at a high quality, fast processor Android tablet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit