The Faithful and Discreet Slave - A JW Myth

by 00DAD 92 Replies latest jw friends

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Leolaia, thank you very much for your detailed response. You've obviously given this some thought and done your homework.

Although I knew some of what you posted, much was new for me. Regardless, to see it all put together in one well-thought out essay was very helpful.

I especially loved your appraisal of the FDS as a "phantom entity". I will use that for sure!

Cheers,

Daniel

• 00DAD
    00DAD

LongHairGal: thanks for the comments. I liked your description of the concepts as being a "spiritual facade" . It is similar to Leolaia's appraisal of the FDS as a "phantom entity".

• blondie
    blondie

I knew quite a few of those considered the FDS, jws who declared themselves anointed once a year by partaking at the Memorial.

I would always ask if they were consulted about new information. They would say that they found out when I did when I received the new publications and that included those at Bethel and on the GB.

Couple that with realizing that the phrase "governing body" never occurred in the Bible that prior to the 1970's the GB was merely the board of directors of the WTS, I never considered them having any more access to the "truth" than I did. I never kissed the feet of any in the FDS or the GB.

I never got an answer about how God conveyed the "truth" to those in charge of the WTS because they didn't know either.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The First Resurrection Now Under Way ?

10 Can we say more precisely when the first resurrection begins? An interesting clue is found at Revelation 7:9-15, where the apostle John describes his vision of "a great crowd, which no man was able to number." The identity of that great crowd is revealed to John by one of the 24 elders, and these elders represent the 144,000 joint heirs with Christ in their heavenly glory.* ( Luke 22:28-30; Revelation 4:4 ) John himself had a heavenly hope; but since he was still a man on earth when the elder spoke to him, in the vision John must represent anointed ones on earth who have not yet received their heavenly reward.

11 What, then, can we deduce from the fact that one of the 24 elders identifies the great crowd to John? It seems that resurrected ones of the 24-elders group may be involved in the communicating of divine truths today. Why is that important? Because the correct identity of the great crowd was revealed to God's anointed servants on earth in 1935. If one of the 24 elders was used to convey that important truth, he would have had to be resurrected to heaven by 1935 at the latest. That would indicate that the first resurrection began sometime between 1914 and 1935. Can we be more precise?

WT 1/1/07

In orange: revealed to anointed servants or JFR?

• blondie
    blondie

I don't have my WT CD but I do believe that the WTS said the resurrection of the anointed began in 1918 (but also 1881 at one point).

• compound complex
    compound complex

1918 is what I was taught. I'm not aware of any change. Those dying after 1918 would be changed in the twinkling of an eye.

• blondie
  • compound complex
    compound complex

Thank you, Blondie.

CC

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

ERBIE: Like you I never really bought this anointed-FDS teaching and let it go in one ear and out the other. To me it seemed like smoke and mirrors and a prop to keep the gullible rank and file JWs in "awe". Frankly, the mentality of anybody who thought they deserved special respect was annoying. Nobody got any special respect from me. I didn't care HOW they viewed themselves.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I am unaware of them explaining how individual members of the 144,000 are able to assist the GB in producing doctrine. Rather, they are quite direct, particularly since 2009, in showing that the GB act on behalf of the Slave.

"Would all anointed Christians “shine”? In a sense, yes, for all Christians would participate in preaching, in disciple making, and in building one another up at meetings. Anointed ones would set the example. (Zech. 8:23) In addition to this, however, deep things were to be revealed during the time of the end. The very prophecy Daniel recorded was “sealed up” until that time. (Dan. 12:9) How and through whom would the spirit search into these deep things? When the time comes to clarify a spiritual matter in our day, holy spirit helps responsible representatives of “the faithful and discreet slave” at world headquarters to discern deep truths that were not previously understood. (Matt. 24:45; 1 Cor. 2:13) The Governing Body as a whole considers adjusted explanations. (Acts 15:6) What they learn, they publish for the benefit of all."

Watchtower 2010 Jul 15 pp.22,23

"However, Christians who have truly received this anointing do not demand special attention. They do not believe that their being of the anointed gives them special insights beyond what even some experienced members of the "great crowd" may have." p.23
    "Today, the Governing Body represents the faithful and discreet slave class." Image on p.23
    "Similarly, today a limited number of anointed men have the responsibility of representing the slave class. They make up the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses." p.24

Watchtower 2009 June 15 pp.23,24

"The anointed and their other sheep companions recognize that by following the lead of the modern-day Governing Body, they are in fact following their Leader, Christ."

Watchtower 2010 Sep 15 p.23

Most articles are written by members of the Other Sheep and simply authorised by the Governing Body.

"4. Those used as writers must be dedicated, baptized brothers or sisters in good standing with their local congregations and who have writing ability. They should be exemplary, modest, not inclined to talk loosely to others about their writing activity. ... 5. PREPARING MATERIAL: The subjects on which articles may be written are quite varied. Some articles will deal with spiritual matters, and these should be written by brothers."

Branch Organization Manual p.24-1 Paragraph 4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit