Hilarious "wardrobe worksheet" in new YPA book!

by cedars 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sir82
    sir82

She says: "My parents say Mike is controlling, but he just has high standards. I mean, he's never tried to force me to do anything sexually. And when he slapped me - which I didn't tell my parents about - well, I was talking to another boy. And Mike gets jealous, which I sometimes find flattering. Anyway, he said he's sorry, and he promised he'd never do it again."

Let's just fix that up a bit, shall we?

She says: "My parents unbelieving husband says Mike the Governing Body is controlling, but he they just has have high standards. I mean, he's they've never tried to force me to do anything sexually weird like tell me to be willing to die for the sake of a symbol, or shun my own children. And when he slapped they disfellowshipped me - which I didn't tell my parents husband about - well, I was talking to another boy reading apostate literature. And Mike the Governing Body gets jealous, which I sometimes find flattering comforting. Anyway, he said he's sorry they reinstated me, and he they promised he'd they'd never do it again so long as I am strictly obedient."

That's a bit more realistic, no?

ffdfdfd

• Scully
    Scully

My first reaction is "Wow, they're trying to teach teens and parents how to negotiate some troublesome issues." I don't have a problem with that aspect of this "worksheet", because I grew up in a home where the rule was that we wore what our parents provided for us. When I got my own job, and my own money, my parents didn't really interfere with my clothing choices.

I hope the kids are being encouraged to at least finance their own style choices if it conflicts with what the parents prefer. Kids are going to have different style choices from their parents, and if the parents are too domineering and don't give them some room to grow and make their own selections, they will go to the extreme and hide what they're doing. I'd rather negotiate a middle ground with my kids than force them into a situtation where they feel they have to be dishonest with me.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks Scully - I know where you're coming from. Don't you think it's 'parenting by numbers' though? Surely kids and parents can work out clothing issues without requiring an actual worksheet, including questions such as "Is it too trendy?" I just feel it's all going a bit too far, and as has already been commented, it smacks of "micro-managing" on the part of the Society - along similar lines to the "what to wear at bethel" pamphlet.

• Bella15
    Bella15

OMG ... Seriously?

- Appeal to the opposite sex

Why would you even bring that to the attention of a child in the sense they are trying to force?

Kids in that organization are bombarded with so much SEX talk since babies as there is no separation of kids and adults in the meetings where they discuss all kinds of sexual subjects, deviations, positions, masturbation and then they "repress" the kids from doing the things they are teaching them to do --- LOL! Really!!!! In the meetings they talk about sex and how couples should not deny it from each other and they put sex in a pedestal ... no wonders teenagers are running like crazy trying to experience that ... really!

• cedars
    cedars

Bella15 - you're quite right. You might be interested to know that the new YPA book has the following chapter headings:

• Will Sex Improve Our Relationship?
    • How Can I Conquer the Habit of Masturbation?
    • What About Casual Sex?
  • Bella15
    Bella15

Exactly ... Mike is code name for Watchtower Corporation ....

do they actually read what they write????????

• cedars
    cedars

Bella15 - it's difficult to understand how large parts of this book got through to printing. I guess the quality control wing of the Writing Department must have been out to lunch when this book was going to press. As I've said before, it does seem they were trying to fill pages and justify having two volumes rather than one single book.

• Bella15
    Bella15

Of course, two volumes would bring more money if you have to sell each separatedly? I am not familiar with latest version of that book so I really don't know if you have to "contribute" for each volume.

• Scully
    Scully

Hi Cedars:

Don't you think it's 'parenting by numbers' though? Surely kids and parents can work out clothing issues without requiring an actual worksheet, including questions such as "Is it too trendy?" I just feel it's all going a bit too far, and as has already been commented, it smacks of "micro-managing" on the part of the Society - along similar lines to the "what to wear at bethel" pamphlet.

Well that's a good question re: 'parenting by numbers'. From my own perspective, having worked with families and their new babies for a long time, what I see is that parents actually want some kind of framework for raising their children. I get asked questions ALL the time about the "proper" way [down to the minute details] to bathe a baby, dress the baby, feed the baby, get the baby to go to sleep, how much to feed, what to feed, how to breastfeed, when to go to the doctor. Mostly things that I take for granted as an experienced parent, but things that I learned from observing other parents (including my own) and then put into application when I was a new mother to each of my children. In things like child rearing, a novice parent will seek out the guidance of experienced parents or other authority figures - that's perfectly normal. It isn't normal, and is sometimes a cause for concern, when a new parent doesn't want any guidance or information about child care - someone who claims they've read every book out there, but has never even held an infant before, and resent any 'interference' from us to show them how everyday activities are done.

A lot of us - and I include myself in this - sometimes have an automatic knee-jerk reaction to anything the WTS publishes and refuse to see any potential benefits the information might have. I think this "wardrobe worksheet" is a good example of that. But if you search online, it's pretty much in line with what the general consensus is in terms of negotiating with parents over wardrobe choices. For example: http://www.wikihow.com/Convince-Your-Mom-and-Dad-to-Let-You-Wear-Halter-Tops-and-Tankinis or http://1sttaste.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-negotiate-with-parents-do-not.html

With JWs - even the teenagers - their authority figure of choice is the WTS. They respect what's being taught to them and feel that it's the proper way to do things. So while we laugh at this "wardrobe worksheet" and think it's over the top in terms of micro-management, it's really a decent tool to teach parents and teenagers to come to some middle ground. Don't forget that things have changed from the red Your Youth book that I grew up with in the 70s, to the blue YPA book from the 90s, and now to the current one. There was no real way for teenagers to learn the art of negotiating with their parents when I was growing up - you were expected to do as you were told, even if you didn't like it. Parenting styles have evolved in that time too, and the tool reflects the current thinking of allowing children to have a voice in their personal appearance.

Do I think that there are some people who will use this "wardrobe worksheet" to the extreme of "micro management"? Of course there will be some who do take it super seriously, both parents and kids. I think though, that the average JW teenager will begin to learn the very useful skill of negotiation, which can be applied well beyond their wardrobe and their own parents.

What concerns me about articles like this, though, is that they have the deceptive appearance of presenting the WTS as very middle-ground and mainstream. When a Worldlyâ„¢ teenager brings a book like this home and the parents see it, there aren't going to be red flags going up with worry that the child is becoming involved with a cult. I think that is the kind of thing that we need to focus on and expose, to prevent young people from becoming ensnared by the WTS.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I had to laugh at the question, is it attractive to the opposite sex?!?

What exactly does this mean--and would it be WRONG?

It reminded me of an interview with a young man on NPR. He was from one of those tight Mormon spin-offs--maybe FLDS, and he might have also been one of those lost boys. ANYWAY

He talked about this attractiveness of young women in the cult. That something about their pureness worked as a turnon. He said that he'd look at a young woman in all those prairie clothes and he could metally undress her in 8.6 seconds. It was really funny how he said it, but the point is, hormones are hormones. Maybe an Amish man finds a bonnet with heart shaped puckers more sexually attractive than a pleated one.

The borg is absolutely NUTS if they think they can turn teens into A-sexuals. It hasn't worked in 150,000 years, and they haven't cracked the code.

Assholes.

NC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit