Hilarious "wardrobe worksheet" in new YPA book!

by cedars 59 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

Hi everyone

During a quiet moment I picked the latest YPA book down from my bookshelf. It's pretty much stayed there since my relatives came back from the latest convention. I couldn't bring myself to see the extent to which the Society is now trying to claw its way into the lives of teenagers. Imagine my surprise that even a young girl's wardrobe is now the subject of a "worksheet", to be filled out by both teenager and parent. Here is the worksheet and its questions in full.

REMEMBER, these questions are designed to have handwritten responses by teenager and parent respectively...

>wardrobe worksheet

Instructions: Copy these pages. Ask your parents to fill out the worksheet on the right while you fill out the one on the left. Later, swap worksheets with your parents, and discuss your answers. Are there any surprises? What did each of you learn about the others' perspective that you didn't know before?

for you - Think about a particular outfit that you want to wear or purchase.

Why do you like this particular outfit? Number the factors below in order of your priority.

...... Brand name

...... Appeal to the opposite sex

...... Acceptability to peers

...... Comfort

...... Price

...... Other ............................................................

My parents' initial reaction to this will probably be

[_] "No way!"

[_] "Maybe."

[_] "No problem."

If they object, the most likely reason would be

[_] "It's too provocative."

[_] "It's too sloppy."

[_] "It's too trendy."

[_] "It reflects badly on us as your parents."

[_] "It's too expensive."

[_] Other.......................................................

can we work together on this?

What merit can I see in my parents' view?...................................................................

What, if anything, can be done to make the garment acceptable?.................................................

Second page

for your parents - Think about a particular outfit that your adolescent wants to wear or purchase.

Why, do you think, does your child like this outfit? Number the factors below according to what you think are his or her priorities.

...... Brand name

...... Appeal to the opposite sex

...... Acceptability to peers

...... Comfort

...... Price

...... Other ............................................................

My initial reaction is

[_] "No way!"

[_] "Maybe."

[_] "No problem."

The reason why I might object would be

[_] "It's too provocative."

[_] "It's too sloppy."

[_] "It's too trendy."

[_] "It reflects badly on us as your parents."

[_] "It's too expensive."

[_] Other.......................................................

can we work together on this?

Is our objection to this outfit merely a matter of our personal taste? [_] Yes [_] Possibly [_] No

What, if anything, can be done to make the garment acceptable?.................................................

If there are any parents with teenagers out there, I would be fascinated to hear your honest opinion on this worksheet.

My own view is that the Writing Department clearly gave themselves too many pages to fill in this book release, and were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with the above.

Cedars

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Lol... this is so funny! All my clothes are decent! This kind of thing is similar to a point i made before about needing cousnelling. The WTS has their hands in EVERY SINGLE PART OF LIFE dont to the colour of your flippin underpants! How opressive!

Borganisation? I think so!

• cedars
    cedars

Very true, I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it.

I can just imagine the following scenario....

Teenager: Daddy, daddy - can I have twenty dollars? I saw the most gorgeous top down at the mall. I gotta buy it. Please?!?!

Dad: Have you filled in your wardrobe worksheet?

Teenager: Er, no not yet, if I fill it in can I buy it?

Dad: You know the rules, Laticia. According to article 3, item 2 of the Jones Family Code, for any new garment purchases to be considered for financing you must first fill in your side of the wardrobe worksheet, then your mother and I fill in our side of the wardrobe worksheet, then we pray about it and come to a harmonious decision having referred to the scriptures for guidance.

Teenager: Can I take that as a 'maybe'?

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

HAHA.... CRINGES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep... sounds about right! Flippin eck... Its funny when i read the new testament and i read that Jesus came to remove all the petty little laws and rules. It was the pharisees who were insistent on all the little things that made no difference whatsoever!

I must say... all these little rules and stuff really got me down. It seems silly but i hated the fact i couldnt have a beard, i couldnt wear whacky clothes, spike my hair up, not wear a tie, have my top button undone, relax and slouch at meetings etc. So many stupid little pharisaical laws! GROAN!!!

• Iconoclast
    Iconoclast

I love how all of the reasons for wanting clothes are negative. Do you want to look like a whore? Do you want to be a popular whore? Do you want to be a trendy popular whore? Or do you want it because it's comfortable?

• cedars
    cedars

Iconoclast - LOL, yes, apparently if an item of clothing is fashionable, this would be a disqualifying factor??!!

TimothyT - I agree, it is strangely depressing, even when you're free from it. At least we've escaped. I know my children (if I have any) will never be subjected to anything as ridiculous as a "wardrobe worksheet".

• TimothyT
    TimothyT

Haha Iconoclast! Thats funny!

Cedars... i totaly agree! No stupid rules for me anymore. If ever i had kids too (if that will be possible) i will never subject them to such things either. Also, I have begun to search for new things and styles now im no longer a JW. Im thinking of dying my hair, wearing cool clothes, and spiking my hair like i want. Its great... the possibilities are endless and best of all... i dont have some goon on my back telling me my style is innapropriate! :)

• ziddina
    ziddina

"Yes, Laticia, there is wardrobe freedom after leaving the Watchtower Corporation..."

• cedars
    cedars

I'm curious Ziddina - did you fill in anything similar to a wardrobe worksheet for your dragon suit??!

• ziddina
    ziddina

Ah, HA HA HA HAHA HA HA HA!!!

Heck NO!!

We DRAGONS don't ask permission for NUTTIN'!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit