{Sigh}, I could use a hug...

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 63 Replies latest jw friends

• garyneal
    garyneal

I studied engineering and got my bachelor's degree when I was 30. There were a lot of people who were younger than me, but since I spent all my time at community colleges, there were also people older than me. It was still hard because most of the extra curricular stuff I did, especially with the Christian students, involved almost exclusively people who were younger than me. Even the campus minister was younger than me by two years.

Then, of course, there was the fact that I went part time and worked full time. It took 6 years to complete my degree and adding on the two years I spent earning my prior associate's degree in computer science, I spent a total of 8 years in school. I could've been a doctor.

Hope that gives you some inspiration. At any rate, hang in there and take each day as it comes. Be successful in the small ways and the big things will work themselves out.

• Heaven
    Heaven

B the X, also sent you a PM. Some days my middle aged brain just doesn't work the same as on other days. Stress has a way of fogging it out sometimes. If you have to repeat some of your exams or courses to get to to your goal then that is what you may have to do. Stay focused on what you want and you will get there. Like I said, you are smart and you can do this. A mentor or tutor may help as well. We are all rooting for you and want you to succeed.

• cult classic
    cult classic

Billy,

So glad you shared your experience. Hang in there.

You're gonna do it!

• Mary
    Mary

((((dearest Billy))))

Billy, when I first began my undergrad degree, I took (unbeknownst to me at the time) Psych 101 which was frigging brutal. I just barely passed that course and found out later that 2/3rds of those that take it the first time fail and have to take it again. The subsequent courses are not as bad, but it's still always a challenge to "learn new things" (no pun intended ) as an adult, when others who are taking the same classes are 19 or 20 years old.

The very fact that you're doing this at all is a huge step forward. As for all the crapola about the evils of higher education, well hon---the only thing I can say is: horeshit!! If your family is harassing you about going to university, I would firmly but politely tell them to knock it off. There is nothing in the bible that condemns getting an education and you don't appreciate their negative attitude towards what you're doing. Witnesses hate it when someone else is successful; especially someone who doesn't go to the Kingdumb Hell anymore. Why haven't you gone out and totally wasted your life like they love to predict??!!

With that said, if you are under this much emotional stress, you may want to talk to a counsellor there on campus, or at the very least, a Student Advisor. They're there to help you through your studies, not to demean you and I think you'd find it very helpful. And if you're stuggling with your courses, talk to the instructor and tell them what you're having problems with to see what they can recommend.

Keep your chin up hon. It'll get better.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Thanks for all the support, love, and PMs.

With all your encouragement, and having some time to think objectively this weekend, I realize that things are actually really good for me now. The university is challenging me in many ways, but that's how I'm gonna grow. And there are lots of resources here to help me, I just need to sort through and find what works for me.

This is a setback, a very small setback compared to what I've been through. This time of year is particularly difficult for me. A lot of bad anniversaries.

Anyway, just wanted to say "thanks" to everybody while I'm online here at school. Hehe, I'm on the Internet at a University... the GBs worst nightmare. Came here to turn in some homework so I don't have to get up early in the morning to do it.

And I wanted to tell any lurkers that are reading this thread to sign up and start posting. If any of you are where I was a few years ago... depressed, uncertain as to how to get on with life without "the truth", and all that JW baggage, don't waste years like I did. In spite of my bellyaching about sagging grades, my life is much better than ever. I'm "fading" in only the JW world. In real life, I'm more alive, real, and vibrant than I have ever been before.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

((((((Billy)))))))

Y'all are making me want to go back to school.

Glad you're feeling better.

Josie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Billy, pleassssssssssssssssssssssssse don't let them beat you down. You don't have to listen to toxic people. And when you hear your own voice calling you down, tell yourself, "Don't work against yourself!!!!"

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

On the INTERNET at UNIVERSITY??? You, my friend, are deep in the City of Pandemonium...

Here's the hug

Keep going and don't give up. You have a lot to offer the world.

• Heaven
    Heaven

Hey, B the X, .... thinkin' about ya and thought you could use on of these.... Side Hug and maybe a few of these... .

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I SURVIVED MY FIRST SEMESTER AT UNIVERSITY !!!!

I was freakin' out when I saw my grades posted.

A A B B

I would have been happy with A B C C, but this is awesome! This semester has been brutal, a big adjustment. But THANK YOU ALL for the support and encouragement over the course of these last years!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit