{Sigh}, I could use a hug...

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

My first two exams were this week. Things didn't go well. The classes are tough -- math and science. And it's challenging enough getting used to a new school, young classmates, new profs. But right now it seems additionally hard to concentrate with the "mentally diseased"/college hatred stuff going on... getting force-fed to my parents, aunts, cousins, old friends. Just so much garbage that I wished would go away now that I've moved. But it is still lingering, clouding my head, pulling down on my life. I'm finally reading "Combatting Cult Mind Control." I wish I would have read it sooner, but didn't dare have it around where my parents would find it. I have my second session with a psychologist this next Friday. I've already talked to an advisor about some of my personal JW history and problems with the classes.

Oddly, or interestingly, she immediately jumped and said, "Have you thought about teaching?"

Me: "Uh, no. I didn't think I had the patience."

Her: "I think you'd do great. You seem to have a good enough grasp to handle high school math and science. You seem to know what would improve the college courses. Next semester you could switch to College of Education, take much easier classes, and be done in a couple of years. You'd easily find a good job."

{sigh} Mom just called and I let it roll over to voicemail. I just couldn't handle telling her school isn't going well. She's not a particularly kind and caring person. So here I am, wishing I could cheerfully say that things are going great. It's been a rough and gloomy week for me. I could use a hug, a beer, something...

• nateb
    nateb

You'll someday look back on this moment and smile because it will have proved to be an essential stepping stone to a wonderful life.

• Dudu
    Dudu

Billyyyyy!!! Ive missed you around here .. you are one of my favorites posters here.... I am a teacher in elementary and isnt easy, you gotta love it~ You will do just fine dear... keep yourself positive, i understand that your mind is now processing a lot of things , and that doesnt help with concentration, i m happy to have you around here and im sure you ll feel better tomorrow

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

OK Billy

But only in the most

manly of ways

• bafh
    bafh

The term is not over, and it is early in your college career. So don't sweat it. You have lots of room for things not to be perfect without it completely falling apart. Make sure to connect with others, especially your advisors. They will be able to help you out a lot. If you are struggling, make sure you access any of the extra assistance available on your campus. And keep talking to your advisors. If things get really bad, and your financial aid is in jeopardy, they can help you figure out a way to get yourself out of it. And don't be afraid to take less classes as you are getting used to college. It is a big transition to college for someone of any age, but especially if you are an older, non-traditonal student. :-)

Take a big deep breath. Enjoy your weekend. Rest, eat. And get back in the saddle on Monday.

One or two tests does not a BA degree make (or break).

bafh

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Well, I can relate to some extent. I'm only taking one course, and it is pretty damn hard! In fact the entire class is frustrated, and they're all 18 yr olds, not forty somethings like me. Only thing I'd suggest is lessening your class schedule until you're acclimated to college. Or mix in some easier classes with the hard ones. Sounds like you've got a tough schedule.

Do not despair!

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Gosh, that sounds stressful!

• White Dove
    White Dove

Been there, done that.

Yeah, don't take all hard classes.

Mix 'em up.

Here's a Guinness to drink with me.

It's what I have in my fridge.

On second thought, you probably need about three, so here's a couple more.

Here are a couple sammiches to go with those.

Beer always tastes best with a sammich.

• shamus100
    shamus100

School is very difficult - one thing that J-Duds throw at you is low self-esteem and the insistence that if you don't succeed you are somehow flawed.

Take a deep breath, and don't worry about setbacks. People who win keep going no matter what. I know it's tough, but I believe in you. :)

And yes, I got your email. I'll respond. ;D

• palmtree67

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit