{Sigh}, I could use a hug...

by Billy the Ex-Bethelite 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Thanks everyone for the hugs, encouraging words, beers, and such!

I will get through this challenge. Learning to walk includes a lot of falling on your butt. That's what happened to me yesterday. I took a hard fall on my backside. It hurt really bad. Yeah, I wanted to pitch a fit and never walk again. But after the dust settles and the swelling goes down, I get back up. The world hasn't ended. Bombing an exam is hardly the worst thing that has ever happened to anyone.

I did very well in community college. It wasn't easy, but I think the rest of my life was fairly undistracting (for lack of a better word). Now that I've moved off to uni, life is many times more loaded with distractions. So many changes in my life makes it difficult to really concentrate. At the comm coll, they sent out almost no email to the students and there were very few clubs. Now I get about a dozen emails everyday from the uni, different departments and organizations. Lots of pressure to go to different meetings for this or that, join this or that society or club, thousands of people to meet, and an entire metropolis accessible via my transit pass. And if you didn't "get involved," you weren't being a "good student." Yeah, it was that mind control thing that awoke, telling me "you need to be a good student by doing whatever the latest email says." The perfectionism came back, and with it the self-esteem issues, etc. Just a whole lot of crap.

One of the flashbacks yesterday was how my dismissal from bethel was based on the first flaw I'd ever really shown during my bethel career. After slaving obediently for well over a decade, I was thrown out like so much trash. I don't think that the university is going to dismiss me for a couple of bad exams. And I hope that if I'm not the "perfect apostate," I won't get dismissed from this forum. Although this circumstance today is unpleasant, I think this may be a good opportunity for the psychologist to help me deal with the crap in my head. It's far better to unravel this now than years down the road. I'd wanted to think that I could somehow fade and just go on with a wonderful new life. But life is far more complex than that. Some things need to be fixed and there's plenty to be salvaged. In spite of this setback, I can look inside myself and see that I'm going in the right direction. It's not "imperfection" or "sin", it's just a part of learning, living, and growing. It's part of living a real life like a real person, instead of my former life, sucked so deeply inside a fake "spiritual paradise" with fake "love" and fake "perfection".

Now that I've fallen down and looked at things better from ground level, I can say, "that was dumb." Yeah Zid, there's some simplifying to do. I've ruled out joining a society that extended the "privilege" of membership. They didn't even promise me a pet lion in the very near future, so what's the point in joining them? And a couple other things will get deleted from my schedule, too. I'll get the tutoring figured out here and focus on exactly what and who will help me learn. It won't leave a lot of time for socializing and fun, but work comes first, fun will naturally follow. Certainly, this situation gives me a very good reason to say "no" to whatever at school, KH meetings (haven't been to any since I moved), etc. that get pushed on me. At this point, I will leave room in my schedule for showering... but we'll see.

I won't completely leave here... where else would I go? You all are always right about everything! Lately, I've mostly been reading from my smartphone rather than commenting. But, if any of you start getting soft on Botchtower Corp, I'll be logging in from the nearest computer and setting you straight!

Another reason I'm frustrated... I didn't get raptured during OBVES latest prediction of THE END! I should have studied real math, instead of his fuzzy math chronology!

Oh, and another reason I'm emotional, frustrated, and impatient... I just turned another year older! Now all these kids around me are... like... another year younger than... like... me!

Enough smilies, time to eat, then back to homework, beer, bed, repeat.

Love y'all!

• bohm
    bohm

Hey Billy. Sorry to hear about the exams. But its not the end of the world by far!

Very few finish university in the allocated time, and there is a lot of difference in how good you are at the different subjects. It is also not uncommon to have courses in the beginning which are very time-demanding to scare people away, and when you have a ton of other stuff going on you are going to have a very hard time.

University is all about spending about an hour every day trying to solve excersices, and it is quite perculiar how hard that can actually be.. If you try to study all the time you will very quickly find yourself being stressed out and getting little done, and ofcourse to many distractions arent very good either.

If you have questions about any of the technical stuff i am sure there are many here who would at least try to help you out. if it is math or physics you can just pm me.

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hey Billy! Hang in there buddy! Don’t give up! I really enjoy your posts here! It’s been over 30 years since I was in Bethel. But I still have flash-backs like you, especially when there’s any kind of pressure. That place was one of the most abusive circumstances I’ve gotten myself into in my entire life! I was spiritually and mentally rapped! So, I understand in many ways!

Here’s an e-hug! ;)

(I’m sending you a PM.)

• CAL69
    CAL69

Hey Billy, sorry to hear you're having a rough time in school. I can completely relate. I'm in my first semester of nursing school and I'm completely overwhelmed. I'm learning about concepts that are foreign to me and the added stress of working full time doesn't help. It'll be rough but definitely worth it. Best of luck to you!!

• Quendi
    Quendi

For what it's worth, Billy, let me share my college experience with you. I majored in mathematics and came very close to earning a minor in applied mathematics. During my years at the University of Colorado, I flunked three courses and made D's in a couple of others. I also had a second major in Geography where I concentrated on physical geography at that and took courses in remote sensing and cartography among other things.

So it was very challenging and difficult, and more than once I wanted to quit. But I persevered and finally earned my degrees in both Geography and Mathematics. And, believe it or not, I went on to teach high school mathematics and still hold a teaching license in that subject. My point is that you will survive. Great grades and test scores are not what college is all about. You are there to learn, and all your experiences can teach you things that will be very useful down the road just as mine did, even the unpleasant ones. "Don't give out; don't give up; and don't give in." You'll make it and do very well. Remember, you have more people on your side than against you and all your supporters want only the best for you.

You've made the right decision in attending college and earning your degree. You'll never regret it. Keep doing your best and call out for help and support when you need it as you are doing now. We are all very, very proud of you and will walk with you every step of the way. One of the proudest days of my life was when I graduated, and all the more so since I was selected to give the undergraduate commencement address at the Geography Department's recognition ceremony. More than forty of my friends and family attended and that made it all worth while. I was 46 years old when I got my diploma, and I have every confidence you will earn yours.

Quendi

• laverite
    laverite

Billy -- the area you are in can be very tough. I had a number of friends at university who were in your field. They all finished. However, they had some awfully tough times and failed numerous exams, and actually also had to repeat some courses. Eve differential equations seemed to get a few people, too. But it's about stick-to-it-iveness. Some of them had "2 point something" GPAs but finished successfully and wound up working as successful engineers.

If you have a passion for your area, you'll make it. But don't expect no bumps in the road. Unfortunately for you, you have a history that my friends didn't have. Don't just go for something that is easier just because. Do what you really want. Follow your passions. IF that is switching to the COE, then so be it! But if it's sticking to your current area, then go for it! Just don't expect a 4.0 and no bumps along the way. :)

HUGS,

-LV

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

If I remember correctly, this is your first semester/quarter back in school. If so, remember that there is an adjustment period, mostly with the brain. I attended community college in my 30s, took a break, finished my BA in my late 40s, and started law school at 51. This means that in my early 50s, I am competing with some of the brightest brains in the U.S. I have classmates who are oncologists, and Ph.ds in biology, computer science, etc., but I dug in and ended my first year with an A- average. (BTW, law schools have forced curves=only 15% are allowed to get an A/A-; otherwise, everyone would get an A because we are all good students). So I can empathize with your situation.

The good news is this: it's totally do-able! ; ) Your brain will slowly get used to processing really complex information, your reading and comprehension will increase, and your exam scores will improve. It's hard work, and sometimes, literally, it makes your head hurt.

You might consider limiting your time at this site for a while, especially if it is upsetting you or consuming time.

DON'T think about how far you have to go! Just focus on making it through THIS semester/quarter, and DON'T bail out into another program because it is easier UNLESS it really interests you. Keep in mind, advisers have an agenda also, and it colors their advice.

P.S. I remember one of my math instructors telling us that he failed a 300 level calculus course twice before getting a passing grade--a B-. In my opinion, that experience made him a better math instructor.

• bohm
    bohm

I forgot the most important bit: Do you like what you study? Have you experienced being at a lecture/reading a book and thinking: wow, didnt anticipate that, this is really cool. Do you think it is rewarding being able to compute and know things you didnt know half a year ago?

This is really the most important.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

(((((((Billy the Ex-Bethelite))))))). Hang in there!! The 1st quarter/semester of college is always difficult, because so much is thrown at you so quickly. Keep on reading CCMC.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Billy, I tutor at an Engineering college. It is super hard. I help out with English and writing assignments, and today, I was a substitute teacher.Let me tell you-they don't let dummies into the college of engineering. At the university system that I am a part of, it is one of the hardest schools to get into. Furthermore, I am at an American university in the Middle East, so all of my students speak English as a 2nd, 3rd even 4th language (really). Hopefully you don't have language working against you as well. I would encourage you to just settle down and focus on your work, don't let the JW stuff touch you now. You are going to lose sleep and probably some weight-don't get distracted with the fun stuff and remember, if you can get past the hard stuff, some of the instructors here in this school get paid $$$ plus housing, and they teach MAYBE 6 hours a week. Stick with it, if you got into teaching in the ME, you could live where I do and never see another JW as long as you live if you choose.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit