Your top 5 most irritating doctrines/practices?

by cedars 68 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cedars
    cedars

That's a very scary thought indeed, although I suppose you couldn't put it past them. You paint a picture of a cat playing with its semi-dead prey just to show who's boss. Irrespective of how the idea came up initially, and I confess to being sceptical that THAT was the real motive behing it, I maintain that it's mostly tragically misguided theological stupidity that the Society are sticking to if only to 'set them apart' from the masses as part of a sick version of the 'inferiority complex'. If that's what you were referring to, then I could buy into that.

As regards your conversations with Dunlap, I will be PMing you shortly.

• simon17
    simon17

1 - Belief in the flood. Got me going. Completely ignorant belief in this day and age. Its probably as bad as continuing to believe in a geo-centric solar system.

2- disfellowshipping and shunning. Enough said on that one.

3- Babylon destroyed in 607. Also a preponderance of evidence against this. It wouldn't even be as bad if they said they realized all the evidence was against it but they were going with their odd interpretation of scripture. To deceptively force the evidence is just insane.

4- the need to settle the "court case" of universal sovreignty. Its illogical on every level for an all-powerful, not to mention all-loving, God to solve things in the way it is purported

5- I think the trying to force the creation account to fit scientific discovery is inane, it is so clearly written in a way that is demolished by science, but then day is not really "day" and "create" is not really "create". Its really a pathetic attempt.

• undercover
    undercover

1 and 2: Disfellowshipping and the subsequent shunning. Everything else is just interpretation...take it or leave it.

If they didn't publicly humilate people with DFing announcements and enforce the resulting denial of the most basic of human social contact, it would be easy to just shrug the WTS/JW religion off as just an off-center, quirky, fundie sect.

The DFing/shunning creates a level of control based on guilt and fear. People obey out of fear of being singled out and punished. If that wasn't hanging over their heads, the mood of the religion would be much different...and not worth noting or bitching about.

Other doctrines, like the blood ban, and holidays, and "gray areas" would all be personal decisions made on each one's own conscience. If there were no sanctions for choosing one course of action over another, then people would truly be resonsible for their decisions and actions and there would be no reason to blame a higher source.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks undercover and simon17 - I have a feeling that disfellowshipping/shunning will come out on top once the results are in. Would anybody actually visit this site if nobody was shunned for disagreeing with the Governing Body, and doctrines were put forward on a "take it or leave it" basis? I personally think not.

FYI - I will be totalling the points on this basis:

10 points for (1)

8 points for (2)

6 points for (3)

4 points for (4)

2 points for (5)

Keep those votes coming in everyone!!

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

1. Imagining an invisible friend in the sky hears their thoughts

2. Shunning

3. Delusional 'end-times' eschatology

4. Rampant hypocrisy

5. Doctrinal flip-flopping (aka 'new light')

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

1. Totalitarianism

2. Education

3. Penis only rule

4. DO MORE!!

5. Having to wear skirts all the time.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

OH those above are the ones that pipped me when I was 'faithful'. Don't ask about now. It's in those veins, but far more rant-oriented.

• cha ching
    cha ching

1. Lying. Lying about 607, lying about "we hate the UN", lying about "millions now living will never die" (and they did) , lying about 'we said Christ's presence began in 1914 (nope, 1874, then 1914, then... Armageddon is coming in 1914, wait 1925.. etc) lying that "we are not inspired, but led by God's spirit" & lying that they really care about us. Lying that "We are $6,000 short on the assembly this weekend" and they had the money all along.

2. Taking people's money. "We need it for the preaching work" What money have they spent on "preaching?" They spend millions on court cases to pay off poor children who've been abused in the organization by pedophiles. Saying they are a "non-profit" organization & making $$$$$$$. Asking for people to donate their life savings in a will to them, that is soooo sooo sad.

3. Taking fathers away from their children & their wives. Elders spend so much time at the K Hall in JC's, RBC's, meeting parts, etc, etc, that their families do not get to enjoy them.

4. Telling you every little move to make, what clothes to wear when visiting Bethel, wear your lapel cards out to dinner, don't make other arrangements, sex? how about dating "to marry" (you don't get to know people) what kind of dance to dance, music to listen to, how long your skirts s/be, don't go out for food during the convention, bring your lunch. "Don't let your kids draw during the meeting" "Don't get together in your own study groups to read the bible"

5, Evidently, however, in further review, looking back, apparentley, it seems as tho, upon further consideration.... ALL used to show why they are still right, even tho Holy Spirit "led" them to believe something entirely different in the first, second & third place.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Who cares about irritating, what matters the most is eliminating the following heinous doctrines and policies that actually harm people and children and destroy lives.

1. blood policy

2. child abuse policy (wicked insistence on 'two witnesses')

3. disfellowshipping & shunning

The Watchtower Society is absolutely guilty and deserving of ruination for the above evil policies and doctrines it still unrepentantly perpetuates. It is literally responsible for the destruction of thousands of lives, particularly young innocent lives.

All those who attack the organisation are fully justified in doing so for this reason. KEEP UP THE GOOD FIGHT!

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Treatment of women as second rate citizens - this would include the humiliation of young women by elders during JC's - Thetis

Reminds me of what I have read about the witch hunts and inquisitions. How those celibate priests loved to torture young women! Not difficult to work out what is going on here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit