So where were you Sep 11,2001

by Found Sheep 66 Replies latest members private

• Nobleheart
    Nobleheart

I was home that morning, we had the computer on and saw the headlines on Msn news. We immediately turned on the TV and the images were surreal.

I was really scared and couldn't help crying, seeing people so helpless. The image of someone jumping from one of the buildings to escape the flames still haunts me.

At the time I was a study so I thought this was it, Armageddon was at hand! And I worried if God would allow me to be in paradise without being baptized yet, or even a publisher.

God bless the US!

• Dagney
    Dagney

I woke up to the morning DJ's talking about the planes. I went to the living room to turn on the TV in time to see the second plane hit and the subsequence collapses. There are no words to describe how I felt that day and those following.

I had just stopped attending meetings 2 months earlier a still in the JW loop. The emails that began circulating were disgusting to me. Completely disconnected from humanity, almost giddy that this might be the beginning of the GT. I didn't think anything about Armageddon or the end, or that I should go back. I think those emails cured me of any thoughts of that kind, so I can thank the arrogant JWS for those emails, I guess.

I began traveling to NJ for work right after and continuing through 2002. Airports were on lockdown, the tunnels closed to the city. I did get down to Ground Zero about 2-3 weeks after. I'll never forget that smell, the people, the NYPD, and the weary firefighters that I talked to at the McDonalds across the street.

The world changed that day. It's sobering to reflect on that day and time.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Reflecting on that event and the ones which were to follow, I was taken back that there are people in this modern day and age that would commit suicide

as well as kill innocent people who've never done anything personally against them.

I think this is whats so dangerous about Islamic fundamentalism and that is its potential as being a vehicle of violence and hatred expressed toward

outsiders of this religious faith.

The crusades of Christendom were equally violent when that was going in Europe but good grief that was 800 years ago.

Since the US's long standing appearance of supporting Judaism and the state of Israel and the Islamic world perceived decadence of western civilization.

These acts should been seen as acts of religious indifference and prejudice. To kill in the name of religion is just plain wrong, Christendom realized that

a long time ago. I hope the Islamic faith strenuously puts forth that intuitive as well.

• Caminante
    Caminante

I remember perfectly ... it was shortly after 4 p.m. in Romania, a few days before I started 11th grade in high school, and I was watching the German edition of "The Weakest Link" ("Der Schwächste fliegt") on RTL and there was a crawling message suddenly that a had plane crashed in one of the World Trade Center and shortly afterwards they interrupted the WL broadcast for the breaking news. After another few minutes all channels had special news broadcasts that covered and commented the attacks.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

I was in the jungle of Sumatra near Acheh. I had not contacted my kids for a while, so walked into the village to check email. There were people crowded around a TV in the street but I didn't look. My daughter's last email ..World war 3 has started.

Fast forward a week or two and I"m in an espresso bar in Bangkok. I young guy walks up and by his accent, is clearly a New Yorker. At first he was strangely light and cheerful and I asked what he was doing here...Trying to get to his Thai girlfriend. Next question where were you on 9/11? Coming out of the subway running into a crowd covered in dust trying to get away. His demeanor changed as he told me he lost 20 friends that day. He watched the second plane hit without realising what was happening.

Oh by the way, the village in Sumatra where i checked my email was muslim and they were celebrating what I thought was a holy day when I walked in from the jungle......

• Band on the Run
  • Free!!
    Free!!

I was sitting at the NC department of motor vehicles, i was 17 and about to get my driver's license for the 1st time... a young black guy sitting right across from me said "a plane just hit a building", we all thought it was a small accident.... then i heard my dad's voice from outside he said "let's go home NOW", i got in the car and was listening to the radio when the 2nd plane hit, that's when the magnitude of the event hit me.... i have never been more scare in my life.... :(

• Band on the Run
  • mummatron
    mummatron

I was at work (instead of college, as the academic year hadn't yet begun). At the time I had a part-time job working in a supermarket. I was working on the checkouts working a 1300-1800 shift when the first plane hit. During that hour, the credit card payments systems continually failed to authorise certain card transactions. Allegedly this was due to some UK card issuers being unable to communicate with Morgan Stanley (not sure how correct that theory was). The first I heard about it was when one of my supervisors showed up with the device and carbon copy slips to perform manual card payments. She said it was caused by a plane crash in NYC. At the time I couldn't work out what she meant by that and carried on doing my job. A colleague ran back and forth taking card details to get authorisation codes by phone but the card issuer phone lines were busy. A few customers were frustrated by this but accepted that something was amiss with the World, despite not knowing exactly what was unfolding.

I was told to go have my 15 minute break and watched the TV in the staff canteen in disbelief as the 2nd plane hit. As soon as my shift was over I went home and continued to watch the live news coverage. I had satellite TV, so we switched between the US news channels. I had no work the following day so continued watching the news. A couple of friends called by and I remember one, who was a big fan on Frasier, getting visibly upset that David Angell had died on AA Flight 11.

I had been gone from the cult for almost 2 years at this point but had not yet been officially DA'd. I never thought at the time that it could be the start of the GT/Armargeddon - for me that thinking occured when US Forces attacked Afghanistan.

For the most part I felt awful about what had happened, but as the attacks targeted centres of capitalism and politics, it was easy to feel disassociated when you live thousands of miles away in a sleepy little back-water town (which not even the Nazis bothered bombing during WWII). It wasn't until 7/7 happened that I felt the greatest degree of empathy, as having friends and family members in London whose lives were impacted by the bombings, the terror threat suddenly became a great deal more real.

There have been some very eye-opening documentaries aired on UK TV about the events of 9/11 in recent years as more eyewitness accounts and private film recordings have been collated. Since becoming a mother I can no longer watch them without getting very upset.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Mummatron

That's probably correct about Morgan Stanley I didn't mention above what the name of the firm I was working for was but it was Morgan, and the Dean Witter group was located at WTC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit