So where were you Sep 11,2001

by Found Sheep 66 Replies latest members private

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I'd only been out of the borg for about 6 months or so when, commuting to work, I heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into the twin towers. Details were sketchy, but I knew it was most likely intentional. A few minutes later while listening to that radio report, the second plane hit.

I instinctively screamed at the radio, "FUCK religion!".

• d
    d

I remeber my school talkng about it the next day. I saw on tv as my mom was talking to my aunt in NY.It was scary for a 10 yr old like myself in 2001. I had nightmares for a whole week.a few days afterword in school. Our class what looked like two military helicopters flew over our school, This was me thorugh the whole week. Also our school was shut down in 2002 because they suspected anthrax in 3 evelopes brought in the bomb squad it was downright terrifying I was 11 yrs old then. Scary times as a Jw.

• watersprout
    watersprout

I was watching the news eating my lunch... I saw the second plane hit and the hysteria in the news room! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, it was soo surreal. Can't believe it's been ten years...

Peace.

• d
    d

I will never forgot the images of the falling towers.

• designs
    designs

The President gave a poignant reading of the 46th Psalm this morning at the 9/11 Ceremony.

• Scully
    Scully

It had been approximately 7 years since we stopped going to Meetings™, and for the most part I had done enough personal research to convince myself that the JWs did not have The Truth™.

But watching the news immediately after the first plane hit, and watching the second plane hit - as it freaking happened - caused a cascade of emotions to consume me.

Y OU are going to hear of wars and reports of wars; see that YOU are not terrified. For these things must take place, but the end is not yet.

In my heart, there was a realization that a war would soon follow, immediately upon witnessing the second plane hit the WTC. I said to Mr Scully - "This is not an accident, it's an attack."

For nation will rise against nation and kingdom against kingdom, and there will be food shortages and earthquakes in one place after another. All these things are a beginning of pangs of distress.

You know how you sometimes have a song stuck in your head? It plays over and over, and gets really annoying after a while? Well, on 9/11, the words I had read, and had been read to/at me, from Matthew 24 about the Composite Sign™ of the Last Days™ played on an endless loop in my head, stuck there, preventing me from thinking about anything else.

Then people will deliver YOU up to tribulation and will kill YOU , and YOU will be objects of hatred by all the nations on account of my name.

I had had recurring nightmares when I was a teenager about being rounded up by the police, arrested, and thrown in jail just because we were JWs. On 9/11 that nightmare came back after several years of absence, even though I hadn't set foot in a KH in 6 years.

Then, also, many will be stumbled and will betray one another and will hate one another. And many false prophets will arise and mislead many; and because of the increasing of lawlessness the love of the greater number will cool off.

This is where the disconnect began. We didn't see people fighting in the streets. We didn't see looting, or increasing lawlessness. What we did see was the enormous compassion - the world over - for the people of NYC, for the families who lost loved ones. People wanting to help, people wanting to do something - anything - to contribute to the recovery, to the clean up, to the widows and orphans left behind. What I saw was not a cooling off of love at all. It was an amazing outpouring of love, compassion and kindness that I had never seen before, not on such a massive scale. And where was the WTS in all of this? Reports trickled in on various websites that stated that on 9/11, as thousands of people made their way across the Brooklyn Bridge on foot, covered in ash as a result of the Towers' collapse, the gates to 25 Columbia Avenue were locked up tight. While New Yorkers and the world around sprang to action to assist in any way possible, the World Headquarters of the self-proclaimed most-loving Organization™ on earth locked their doors and did absolutely nothing.

Up until then, I still kind of hoped that my personal experience with the local JWs lacking love was an isolated incident. September 11, 2001 was the day that the WTS proved to me that there was no way they could redeem themselves. There was nothing they could do to undo the lack of love and utter callousness they demonstrated that day.

• ballistic
    ballistic

I started working For JPMorgan in England on Sep 10th 2001, a date I can't forget. At the time the company was called JPMorgan Chase, ie 'Chase Manhatten' Video screens were around the office, and we couldn'nt get through on the phones to New York when the towers went down. It was very frightening, and it was life changing for people here half way round the world from you guys in America.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit