I've stopped my bible study but....

by PenelopePaige 75 Replies latest jw friends

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I know this from my own life. People tend to people-please too much. You are entitled to set boundaries of your choosing. Altho you might like here, she should respect your wishes. A simple statement without rancor, such as "I termined the study with you for my person reasons. If you can't deliver the magazines without conducting a study, I will stop all contact. I respect you and would like to remain friendly but my wishes must be followed." will probably allow you to remain friendly. Stuffing your annoyance inside and smiling when you want to say enough will cause a scenario where you might become enemies.

As someone said, Friends respect friends. I'm certain that you have accomodated her. She should reciprocate. Are you going to become a full Witness, refuse blood, cut off family and freinds just b/c you like her. How well do you know here?

I've been out for decades. Surely these mags are available online or by just calling Bethel.

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

IsaacJ22- Thanks :)

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

I'm surprised that you say you like them because the articles are very shallow and superficial on the subjects they discuss. Last year at the SAD, a speaker asked who read all the publications. Two hands went up. The reason is very basic. They don't print nearly as much as they used to, so it should be very easy to read it all. However, when you actually read it, it's written down to the reader, almost like something dumbed down to a third grade level, telling you what to think, how to react, and what conclusion to come to. It becomes tedious.

How long have you been reading the mags? Just give it time and you'll see very similar articles circle back around. When they were still doing 4 issues for the public each month, it wasn't uncommon to read something and ask, "Didn't I just read this?" Yep. Go back a few months and you'll find about the same thing has been recycled.

If you want to end it, bring the previous magazines to the door next time and question her about something that we've commented on here or something you disagree with. If you start showing them their lit is wrong, they'll get the hint that you see the BS.

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

BandOntheRun- Thanks. No, It won't kill me to not have the mags. I recently ordered a back issue lot of 50 of them off Ebay. I really don't need any more than that, It's a hefty stack. I put a post on here about them and some of the things I read, it's been interesting. Anyway, after this post I've come to the realization I will just have to be forceful with her.

Thanks to everyone for your responses. Time for me to put the hammer down.

• The Quiet One
    The Quiet One

'Thanks for the magazines and everything, but I'm no longer interested, so please don't call again.' then.. 'goodbye'*as door is closing*

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

Billy- The EX Bethelite- As you see from what I wrote above- I've been reading the old mags mostly, from the 70's through the 90's which do have some good articles, in my opinion. I know the newer ones have been dumbed down, I noticed that immediately once I received the older mags in the mail.

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

Okay, if she contnues to come over you are really going to build resentment and perhaps "overdo" the breakup. You might try to tell her that you like a few things in the magazines but overall you really don't agree with the dogma. You may trust "God" implicitly but there are too many intermediaries in the org between you and God. This is nothing to do with what a good person she is but you would appreciate that she not return again if she is going to discuss her religion.

You are in a delimma because you are really nice....she is really nice....however, she is not respecting your boundries (not nice) and by doing so is pressuring you (not nice) because JWs are really good at making people feel guilty. If you cannot say this to her. Write a little note, put it in an envelope and give it to her, refuse the mags, tell her to have a nice life and quietly close the door. Then go have a drink.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

One thing you should do is go to the WT website and read the July 15th Private study edition. There are several offensive articles in there, and several threads on this board about that magazine. Print off and highlight some of the offensive passages about shunning your family and how apostates are "mentally diseased."

Have them ready the next time your lady calls. Sit her down and ask her why they weren't being up-front about what is really involved with being a witness. Tell her it looks like some sort of bait and switch scheme and you find it offensive that she participates in this kind of deception. Sit there and let her try to squirm her way out of what they write in that magazine. It will at least be funny for you, but very uncomfortable for her.

Otherwise, tell her you can find and read all of the magazines online from now on. They currently print 42 million WTs and 39 million Awakes each month, let her know you find that unfriendly to the environment because all of those magazines end up in the trash sooner or later, and with technology they could cut that down by millions easily by simply telling people where to read the magazines on the internet. Oh, and it wastes gas for her and all other witnesses to drive around endlessly, which is also bad for the environment.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I recently ordered a back issue lot of 50 of them off Ebay.

I hope it's because you live in the country and still have an outhouse.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I recently ordered a back issue lot of 50 of them off Ebay.

You ordered 50 WBT$ magazines on Ebay?..

Theres no toilet paper where you live?..

.....................;-)...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit