Sleeping with the enemy

by Nickolas 86 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Perhaps this subject did belong in the Adult and Heated Debate category, after all.

That might have been partly my doing. I got a little fired up. I have been dealing with serious back pain for over a week and I think it's translating into my posts.

-Sab

• unshackled
    unshackled

Agreed with Sab and Outlaw that JWs learn to nitpick and judge nearly everything around them, especially people. Even though out for 7/8 years now, I still find myself being unfairly judgemental and nitpicky at times. I don't think it is my natural character or else I might not notice or have it bother me, but indeed is leftover from my indoctrination. I'm working on it.

Nick, you are treated differently because you are potential fresh meat. Growing up my best friend's father was never a JW. He would attend the memorial occassionally. Everyone would trip over themselves to love bomb the guy, it was pathetic really. Now contrast that with someone who used to be a JW and left - they are treated pretty much like poison. I still get those looks around this town, many years later.

I had no problem with what she believed until it started hurting someone

That's just it. Do we really care what one wants to believe, as long as it doesn't affect anyone else, right? But as soon as those beliefs go on the offensive it is a different matter. Hence, the conflict with broken families. Perhaps the "laissez faire attitude" you mentioned is healthier. I don't know. There is some anger and frustration there that I know can eat one up if they let it. Right now it has a hold of my leg.

First thing one has to learn is you can't snap them out of it with hate.

Absolutely, hate won't accomplish anything but negative results. I haven't had contact with my JW family members in about 5 years, because I don't know where to go from here. One thing I need to remind myself of is I was just like them at one point. Their actions today are one thing, what will their actions be tomorrow, or in a week, or next year? Maybe they'll start to question the WT too. One can only lovingly hope so.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW
    I wondered in another thread I started how Jehovah's Witnesses for whom the light has come on live with themselves afterward.
    Bringing all those people into the Watchtower before they exited themselves. Those who do live with themselves have also forgiven themselves.
    Oddly, some of those who have forgiven themselves withhold love and forgiveness for people who are doing exactly the same things they did,
    until those people see the light themselves. Those still in need to think the same way they do or they are evil.....Nickolas

Nickolas..

People coming out of the WBT$ are usually seriously damaged..

It takes time to come out of that mindset..

Unlike you.

Most JWs dont have a grasp of the fact..The WBT$ and JWs are not one and the same..

Rick Fearon is a Good Example..He hates the WBT$..

So he attacks Jehovahs Witnesss..Its an exercise in futility..

The WBT$ isnt affected.. The WBT$ thrives on the confussion..

All the Heat is directed to JWs..A few persecuted JWs are good for WBT$ Business..

Dead JWs are even better..

WBT$ is at the core of the inconsistencies you see..

Its in their best interests to allow it to continue..

..................;-)...OUTLAW

• sabastious
    sabastious

Nick, say a Witnesses swept you off your feet and you converted (I know it's hard to envision). That person would get to bask in the glory in that they "bagged themselves an atheist." To them you just a safe with a complex locking mechanism. Atheists are notorious in the Watchtower World like a rare hunting game.

I knew an Elder who the congregation bragged about. He had spent the better part of a few decades running the Witnesses off his property. For some reason he eventually broke and converted. The congregation reveled in the fact that they "got him" and it give them drive to go "get more."

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    One thing I need to remind myself of is I was just like them at one point.

I used to think that this wouldn't be difficult. As time passes on I can see that it is more so than I thought.

-Sab

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Same page, I think, unshackled.

You are a wise man, OUTLAW. Wiser than your wisecracks (which often provide a tough old blister with a rare belly laugh) might indicate. As much as I try not to be careless about declaring an understanding of something, I think I understand why you have persevered so long in here.

Sab I can conceptualise what you are saying. Maybe I am perceived as big game, but my amour is too thick for their arrows. The people who are Jehovah's Witnesses who are also in my circle of concern know that. That some of them still try to penetrate it doesn't bother me. They're not going to succeed. Others know they are not going to succeed, but they stay in my circle regardless. They're making a choice, even as much as they may be rationalising it by telling themselves they're working toward recruiting me. I've been doing the same thing with them. Stalemate, but we still get along.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Have you asked them why they don't consider you Bad Association? Ask them if a member of the Governing Body would consider you as such. Might be able to spark some Cognitive Dissonance. Sounds like you maybe got a good thing going, though. I am firm believer that there are exceptions to all rules. It must be amusing for you when they take their shots. Their knowledge vantage points are quite limited.

Like I said before I envy your position because I'd like to talk with them from a position like yours where their impenetrable garde might be down. Do you liquor them up at all?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I think I understand why you have persevered so long in here.

Outlaw, do you agree that you have had to persevere here? I'm fairly new so I don't know the broad scope of what's happened here over the years.

-Sab

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Do you liquor them up at all?

Actually, yes, but it is not a difficult sell. If I might be permitted to exercise a little bit of generalisation in a thread I have started that poo-poos it, most of the Jehovah's Witnesses with whom I associate do not turn their noses up at alcohol. That's good, because neither do I.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I have noticed that too, Nick. My guess is that JWs love alcohol so much because it's one of the VERY few liberties they are allowed to take upon themselves.

-Sab

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit