Why I Shouldn't Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth

by XJW4EVR 127 Replies latest watchtower bible

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

When I was a JW, the key issue that caused me to doubt the WT was the Trinity. The WTB&TS's blatent misquotations and misrepresentations of religious scholarship to fit their anti-Trinitarian presuppositions are horrid and inexcusable. That issue, however, was not the issue that caused me to become a Christian. That issue was the bodily resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.

I read many of the Christian apologists work on the resurrection, and the reason was simple. The Preaching of Christ, the Apostles (as recorded in the book of Acts), the Pauline and General Epistles make it clear that the resurrection of Jesus was the key fact that early Christianity was based upon. It is the resurrection that holds me to Christianity.

My question to atheists, agnostics & skeptics is simple. Why shouldn't I believe in the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth? I'm specifically asking about the resurrection. Please don't insult my intelligence and tell that Jesus did not exist, as no serious scholar, even the most liberal ones, do not believe this. Instead tell me why I should not believe that Jesus rose from the dead.

I look forward to hearing your reasons.

• designs
    designs

You can believe whatever you want that is the realm of Religion and Faith. Just have him appear sometime and I'll be ready to reconsider.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

There are many good works in regeards to the resurrection and the only real objection to the historical evidence that we have is this:

Resurrections don't happen in the natural world and until they do, there is no reason to believe that Christ was resurrected.

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Designs, I did not ask what what would cause you to believe, I asked why I should not believe in the resurrection. Further, even if a resurrection occured, I seriously doubt you would believe it did indeed happen, because your presuppositions would not allow for it to have happened.

PSacramento, I believe that the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth is overwhelming proof that a resurrection did occur. My question is why should not believe those evidences, or if there are evidences agaisnt it that I have not seen.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PSacramento, I believe that the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth is overwhelming proof that a resurrection did occur. My question is why should not believe those evidences, or if there are evidences agaisnt it that I have not seen.

I believe the evidence also and more so, but the fact is that the only evidence against the resurrection is the FACT that from what we KNOW of nature, they don't happen.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Why shouldn't I believe that an invisible pink unicorn lives in my basement?

The question is why SHOULD you believe it?

If the evidence persuades you, then you SHOULD believe it.

The evidence is sufficient for more than 70% of the American population.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/lifestyle/holidays/april_2010/78_think_jesus_christ_rose_from_the_dead

You're in good company.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Why shouldn't I believe that an invisible pink unicorn lives in my basement?

As you know, that is an irrelevant argument in terms of comparison.

Now, if you were to say that:

2000 years ago a pink unicorn existed to the point that people, who had never believed in pink unicorns before, believed in them to the point that they started telling others untill billions now believe.

You may NOT still believe in pink unicorns, but it is rational to believe that SOMETHING existed and that the ONLY reason NOT to believ ein pink unicorns is because you have never seen one.

• cptkirk
    cptkirk

leavingwt: nah he's actually in a very exclusive group. he's actually exerting thought to do research, and still talks like your average dip shit. atleast most of them are to lazy to do any research or exert any thought beyond what someone told them...hence they arent *completely* precluded from garnering intellectual honesty *at some point*...this guy is a real gem though, chris hitchens and dawkins insult your intelligence eh? i can see you radiate intellect with your clever user name, right up there with l8rg8tr.

• Awen
    Awen

(deleted)

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

A good source of information is:

Jesus Outside the New Testament: An Introduction to the Ancient Evidence (Studying the Historical Jesus) by Robert E. Van Voorst and: The Case for the Resurrection of Jesus by Gary R. Habermas and Michael Licona (Sep 25, 2004) The Resurrection of the Son of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, Vol. 3) by N. T. Wright (Apr 2003) There are more of course, but those are pretty good, the last one bt Wright is a HUGE read, over 700 pages but excellent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit