Why I Shouldn't Believe in the Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth

by XJW4EVR 127 Replies latest watchtower bible

• designs
    designs

Human sacrifice was athema to a Jew. Still is.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Well, since what Christ did WASN'T a human sacrfice, that is irrelevant.

And human sacrifice wasn't athema to a Jew, human sacrifices to applease pagan Gods were/are.

Abe was willing to sacrifice His only son Jacob for example.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

XJW4EVR

Your question asking people who disagree with you to "prove that Jesus didn't get resurrected" upsets me. Not in the the psycho way, but it is disappointing.

First off, let me REPEAT that you have every right to believe that Jesus is alive right now, surfing on big cumulus clouds. (or answering prayers, or helping all the billions who are suffering right now, whatever) I have no issue with you on it.

What I take exception to is the framework of your question, and the way that you are going about this.

While being tounge in cheek, my statement earlier that being alive has to mean something is true.

What qualifies as being alive?

If Jesus was dead, but later resurrected, it means a whole helluva lot from a Christian perspective. Been there, done that.

The answer to your question directly is this.

The reason for there being no evidence against Jesus being resurrected, and no proof against it, is that there is no evidence or proof for it in the first place.

Most religions have a story/legend of a god who died but lives again. Argue against their legends while you are at it.

It is the height of arrogance for you to forget that there are over 7 billion people on this planet with their own views and ideas about god and how their god also lives again, yet you insist that your legend must be taken as seriously as actual live people? And you want billions of people to prove that the resurrection didn't happen? Get over yourself.

I think Jesus own words come into play here about the resurrection. "God is a god, not of the dead, but of the living." I think that is a good litmus test for gods too. There are way too many gods that their followers claim to be alive, but not one shred of evidence exists to back that they are alive.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

It couldn't be as simple that a man called Jesus at one time walked the earth, started a movement, then died like all humans do, could it?

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

ATJ,

It COULD have been that simple, if he hadn't of resurrected.

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

I wrote this yesterday but decided not to post it. In view of AllTimeJeff’s post it seems appropriate to post it to show that great minds think alike.

XJW4EVR asks ‘ My question to atheists, agnostics & sceptics is simple. ‘Why shouldn't I believe in the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth?’

There is no logical answer to such a question. You can believe in the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth or anything you want to. Roman and Greek mythology is full of tales of resurrections, gods and things that go bump in the night. Read through it and believe it all if you want. The only question that can be asked is - Why should I believe in the resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth?

• designs
    designs

See the point of the angel staying the hand of Abraham is to show such things were 'Not' part of God's plan to forgive.

Recommended study: Rosh Hashanah, God's plan to start the New Year fresh.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    See the point of the angel staying the hand of Abraham is to show such things were 'Not' part of God's plan to forgive.

Indeed and it was also a test of Abraham, not for God's sake but for Abe's sake.

Abe knew that God made a promise to him and that through Jacob, all the nations would be blessed so he knew that whatever God had planned, that woudl still happen, even if oy meant death and resurrection of his only son.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

PSAC, Jesus wasn't resuurected.

Prove me wrong... :-p

I don't mean anything against you on that btw. I know we won't agree on that.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

ATJ,

I openly admit that I CAN'T prove the resurrection and that it is to be taken TOTALLY on Faith, I just submit that itis NOT to be take on BLIND faith and that there is evidence, for some, to take it on faith BASED on the evidence we have.

Because the resurrection is TRULY and COMPLETELY a supernatural event (based on our current understanding of the universe we live in) it can't be proven UNLESS it happens again and even then I would assume that there woudl still be doubters unless it started to happen frequently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit