The Convention Pretty Much Sucked

by Franklin Massey 49 Replies latest jw friends

• kimbo
    kimbo

Convention brings us new light

(New light is changes due to loss in the courts or death of a Gb member so they can change the rules now he is not able to vote )

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    - It was clearly an "insider's only" convention. Why invite the public if you are just going to engage in crazy talk that only JWs can decipher?

Inviting the public is just to keep the members busy. I doubt even 0.5% of the attendees are from the invitation campaign. I mean, people are not likely to suddenly want to sit in an auditorium to listen to JW stuff because a flyer was handed to them or shoved in their screen door.

...the audience was told that the angels in heaven have already decided the outcomes in judicial matters before the brothers handling the matters make their final decision.

WTF? Such a loaded sentence, designed to make the member afraid to ever piss off Jehovah by breaking the rules, and not get pissed at the "organization" or the elders if they get judged.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

WTF? Such a loaded sentence, designed to make the member afraid to ever piss off Jehovah by breaking the rules, and not get pissed at the "organization" or the elders if they get judged.

The comment about the angels already knowing the outcome of a judicial matter was during the symposium "Kingdom Illustrations - How They Affect Your Ministry - The Dragnet." That part centered around bringing people of all sorts into the JW religion. I can't remember how the angel/JC thing even fit the talk. In looking back at my notes, I can see that I stopped writing after this bizarre comment was made. I do remember the speaker having a tone that felt like he was saying, "You shouldn't question judicial rulings because the angels are directing the whole thing. You aren't smarter than the angels, are you?" Again, that was just his tone.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

The symposium "Kingdom Illustrations" particularly twisted the illustrations to get the message out to preach more, sacrifice more.

The first two about the mustard grain and leaven pointed out that kingdom growth is miraculous, growing and spreading on its own. That is a contradiction when they start hammering to preach more. The illustrations use a mustard grain that grows huge without cultivation and the yeast that grows with no external effort necessary. The illustrations better prove that there's no need for the JW waste of time door-knocking, poor return methods.

The later one about the sower who sleeps, they said "you are the man." Nope, sorry, Jesus was the man. But they particularly use this illustration for the parents seeding their kids minds. It was totally bizarre how they used the idea that like seeds, spiritual growth will occur naturally and you can't force it. Then they go on to list all the things that parents need to do to their kids. Family worship, goals, service, baptism... like that's not "forcing it"?

The illustration about the dragnet was a mess. While they claim sheep/goats is a later seperating work, they claim that this dragnet work is going on now. The problem is that in the illustration, the men have removed the fish and all the fish are dying/dead. The men sort them as either suitable or unsuitable for market. Strangely, they bring up that some of those that may leave, or have left, will return to "the truth". Wait. That would mean that fish currently sorted as bad, can become good. The illustration should explain that some of the bad fish turn good and need to be constantly resorted. And these fish are able to survive outside of water centuries. That interpretation is a serious problem.

And again they use the prodigal son. One of the very basic problems of their interpretation is that they focus the analysis on how leaving "the truth" will lead to misery and suffering. A few experience that, but not all of us. The actual context of Jesus illustration was Jesus speaking to scribes and pharisees. If WT is unable to realize that they are the ones that readjust their attitude, they're hopeless. In my personal estimation of Jesus illustration, had he intended for the illustration to be directed at the younger sibling, he would have focused on the young man using his resources wisely in establishing his own household. Historically, the younger brothers would get less inheritance and prestige than the oldest son, because of the Judaic policies of primogeniture. It really would have been the course of wisdom for the younger son to get his hands on his share of the inheritance early and get away, starting his own life. Because after the death of the father, the older brother could have cheated the younger out of his share of the inheritance.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

The illustration about the dragnet was a mess. While they claim sheep/goats is a later seperating work, they claim that this dragnet work is going on now. The problem is that in the illustration, the men have removed the fish and all the fish are dying/dead. The men sort them as either suitable or unsuitable for market. Strangely, they bring up that some of those that may leave, or have left, will return to "the truth". Wait. That would mean that fish currently sorted as bad, can become good.

So, somewhere in this explanation, our speaker introdces the idea that if the Society kicks someone out by means of a judicial committee, we should not be upset because it was really the angels making the decision.

But then again, Satan was once an perfect angel. Oh, and then there were those formerly perfect angels that floated down here to knock up some human chicks. So, the moral of my story is, don't trust the angels ;)

Seriously though, did anyone else hear this at their convention? Was it part of the outline?

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Great observation, Brother Massey. If YHWH permitted once-faithful angels - esp Satan - to deceive human creations in the past, what makes dubs think anything has changed?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

FM, It's been a few weeks, but I do recall that this speaker mentioned that about angels and judical committees, too. The wording was ackward and there were certainly no scriptures supporting it, so I didn't write it in my notes since I assumed that the speaker might be stretching the outline. We'll have to wait and see what gets past Writing Department for the future farticles.

• Franklin Massey
    Franklin Massey

I've confirmed with two others that it was mentioned at different conventions. It seems like a forced entry into the outline.

I hope that it makes it to the pages of the study edition of the Watchtower because it in its "trial run," it has already caught several people's attention. I'm thankful for every wild idea that the WT publishes as each stands to serve as a chink in the armor of a questioning JW.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

I mentioned last week on the other thread about angels directing the preaching work that they must really suck at it, being that it takes more than 5000 hours of witnessing for each new baptism. No doubt they suck just as much with their JC decision making.

• Toscalive
    Toscalive

Hi All,

I went to the assembly...one day only...Saturday. I didn't go where my congregation goes. Anyway. I heard the drama was off the hook...so I saw it..no it was about family worship...the trials that families have to try to have them weekly....also, was told it was a tear jerker....All nice messages but....Where's the beef ?....Again, let me say, they are nice folks but ....No JOY...then they can't figure out why they can't get anyone...because they don't look like anyone you would want to be. If I told someone to take this pill because it's good for you & I look at you and you are foaming at the mouth...would you want to take that pill to look like the person who recommended it...get my point...I feel they are more for the organization then for God....I think they throw Jesus in their mix as a side line to say...yep we believe in Jesus...But Jehovah is the man...I'm going to another assembly in Sept. on Sunday...I haven't been with them long enough to compare what use to be & now is. All I know is that they think the assemblies are better than slice bread...I think because they can just sit & listen & don't have to comment...I love looking at folks take notes...like they really going to use them...."Showy Display".....I say if something hits you that can help...sure write it down but it's good to just sit & listen...that's one of their problems..they get fed spiritually, and as soon as they get it they regirgitate it to anyone they come across...Big problem with them is that they have so much information in their head they are bubbling over....I alway tell them to put on their oxygen mask first, before you try to save others..just like the plane....don't they say, put on your mask first so you can help others....they don't....so happy to know something they THINK no one else knows...They think they are no part of the world, yes they are. When you go to the hall you meet all types of folks..gossipers, folks that like to put their bags in the chair next to them so no one will sit by them, flirts, users..& nice folks too. People are the same every where it's just a matter of what church or hall you go to...It's all about love...God wants us to do a dry run before we are resurrected into paradise or heaven, wherever..all I know is that I want to be there....It's a love walk ..

Be Well Everyone, will try & follow the forum,

ToscaLive

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit