The Convention Pretty Much Sucked

by Franklin Massey 49 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus100
    shamus100

Oh, and remember Saturdays everyone would wear some new suit / outfit? Oh my goodness, WHAT WERE WE THINKING!!!!!

• wearewatchingyouman
    wearewatchingyouman

My favorite quotes that apply to the DC-

"badges? what badges? we don't need no stinking badges!"

It really is funny how many quotes from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas apply...

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

" There was madness in any direction, at any hour. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning."

"And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of old and evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave."

"Jesus, bad waves of paranoia, madness, fear and loathing - intolerable vibrations in this place. Get out."

"Who are these people? These faces? Where did they come from? They look like caricatures of used car dealers from Dallas, and sweet Jesus, there are a hell of a lot of them.... "

I could keep going, but......

I always wondered what it would be like to be on copious amounts of drugs @ the DC... probably wouldn't suck as much... lol

• Cadellin
    Cadellin

I thnk your comments re the Daniel Toes Talk are spot on. As has been commented before, it seems like the WT was gearing up for some big announcement but something pulled the rug out from under them. As a result, that particular talk was back-pedalling confusion, with the oh-so-lame excuse, "If you're still not sure, there'll be a WT coming out to explain it." (And, yes, the brother used almost those exact words) HUH??? Since when has the spotlight, main-event talk ever deferred in that way? It was like "We really dont know what to say about this at this moment but we'll think of something and get back toyou." I would love to know what went on in the back rooms over this weird non-event.

I asked my uber-zealous hubby if he picked up on the "new light" and he said, "Sure, it's that the toes don't mean anything special." When I asked what we thought they meant before, he just shrugged. And he's an elder, born-in, ex-Bethelite.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Hey, Toscalive!!

Welcome to the board!!

There's a "technical" section if you have questions about the way the board functions...

Zid the She-Devil

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

This was my first year missing the DC. It felt good to go play golf, hang with some friends and do whatever I wanted...

• factfinder
    factfinder

@FM- thank you for the review. The last DC I went to was in 2000 and it was disappointing as were quite a few before that. The 1980 DC was my favorite one I think.

@SBC- the last several yearbooks did not contain a review of the convention (nor has the w) so I hope you won't be too disappointed if the 2012 YB does not contain a review of this year's convention!

The yb has not included convention reviews, or news about Bethel in several years. I guess the new GB wants alot of that information to be kept secret.

• factfinder
    factfinder

@Cadelin- your comments about the society gearing up for some big announcement, and then changing their minds reminds me of the post about a new book that was to be released at this DC but ended up not being published. I wonder what was in it and if there were books in the past that were written, but then not published. I wonder if the writer got disfellowshipped?

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

I haven't been to a convention in two years. And I always came home from the conventions and assemblies really depressed and feeling,I'd never be good enough.

It was my last convention that brought me here and woke me up from my Witness stupor.

The one drama I enjoyed was the one on Lot's wife turning into salt. I was still quite young,so that's probably why I was impressed. I think they threw a white sheet over her when she turned into salt,lol. Why salt anyway? The poor woman got turned into salt for looking behind her,but then,her husband had children with their daughters,makes sense,ugh.

• the-illuminator81
    the-illuminator81

Is the drama meant to convince the JWs that everything will turn out right in the end? Or to convince the GB who can see all the shit going down in the congregations? "Yes we have thousands and thousands of child molestors, with a 40% chance of them repeating their crimes in a 15-year timespan, but I'm sure Jehovah will work things out for us brother Loesch. Now let's focus on what's important, selling off our brooklyn real estate for a billion dollars."

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The same waste of time and money. Hearing the same crap, not even anything exciting--just more confusion about that stupid statue that they can't agree on what it means. Basically, you are instructed to pio-sneer, do more, get rid of everything that you are attached to, work less, give all your money to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund, and not going online. They tie in the same worn-out examples about various Bible characters and their service with what we are supposed to be doing.

And the donations. Those who have to waste assets to travel found that they had to waste plenty of gas to get to and from the city, more money to buy meals, and motel rates that probably are higher than the 40 toilet papers they used to charge when I was in the cancer per day. By the time they are finished with all this, they can easily waste more than 1,000 toilet papers--enough to buy a whole tub of silver to put away for when things get really tough. (You know, such as using it for their supposed Great Tribulation so they can barter for things they are still going to need, after the banks crash and the dollars, yen, and euros become worthless).

Time wasted is also bad. You are wasting 3 days on listening to this crap. In that same time, you can put on a new roof. You can do major preparation work toward painting your house so it will be ready for winter. You can get major house cleaning done. You can do major work in your garden. You can do repairs to your car, if you are so equipped. You can download a bunch of songs you enjoy and assemble them for a party. You can work, earning money that can be used to prepare for what's coming. You can read a good book, or parts therein. You can enjoy a real weekend--that is, one to an amusement park with the children and the family. Whether having fun, earning money, or tackling that project you have been meaning to, the time wasted on a Grand Boasting Session (not including preparing for the damn thing) can be used for worthwhile things.

Worth it? No.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit