If I absolutely HAD to be part of any religion, beleive it or not, I would become Catholic. Mostly for the tradition, the mysticism and the gorgeous buildings but also because they don't BS about the problems that they have by trying to cover it up and they don't bother trying to brand themselves as the truth, yet they manage to have the most members. But as an Atheist, I am happy not attending church.
Is There ANY Religion That You Would Feel Comfortable Being A Member Of?
Do you like these tenents?
- Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
- Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
- When in another’s home, show them respect or else do not go there.
- If a guest in your home annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
- Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
- Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
- Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
- Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
- Do not harm young children.
- Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
- When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.
- XXXX represents indulgence instead of abstinence
- XXXX represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams
- XXXX represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit
- XXXX represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates
- XXXX represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek
- XXXX represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires
- XXXX represents man as just another animal (sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours), who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all.
- XXXX represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification
- XXXX has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years
It is the only "religion" that I agree with to some extent (save the "acknowledging magic" rule)
Have you guessed which one it is??
Oh, and I forgot to list the "sins"
5. Herd conformity
6. Lack of Perspective
7. Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
8. Counterproductive Pride
9. Lack of Aesthetics
I really can't think of anyone having a problem with any of the statements, tenents, or sins of Atheistic Satanism...
dudeism and the atheist form of buddhism.
Never. Religion is garbage. I hope it all goes away.
I am very comfortable being Episcoplian. It is a big tent religion. Any mainstream Protestant religion such as Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist would be acceptable. When I lived in the East Village of Manhattan, I would attend Russian Orthodox and Ukrainian Catholic Churches every once in a while. Educated people adored the Eastern Church yet mocked the Roman Catholic Church. I believe it was the allure of the not familiar.
I was interested in Jewish services but did not know if I were welcome to observe. A more secular place, such as Temple Emanuel, might be all right.
Vehemently, no, to your thread title, dear MiniMan (peace to you!)... and vehemently, yes, on your OP question.
Peace to you!
A slave of Christ,
The Sojourner Community compels my respect. My gf's husband was one of the original commune members. Their dedication to a radical Christianity reminds me the most of what Jesus preached. Their claim to fame is carrying out the social gospel. It would not be easy but I would feel closest to Jesus.
damu. you made me look up solipsism!