Is There ANY Religion That You Would Feel Comfortable Being A Member Of?

by minimus 61 Replies latest jw friends

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

Organized religion no way I don't want to belong to any group. After years of judging others I can't judge the beliefs or non belief of others. Christianity still appeals to me at this point in time, I like the concept of redemption and something beyond myself. So many of us are still drawn to religious concepts because we are dopamine junkies. See below

"In this video, Robert Sapolsky of Stanford Neurology makes the distinction between how dopamine levels rise in the anticipation of pleasure and not as a response to pleasure. I especially like that comment he made regarding reward and religion, “There’s no monkey out there willing to lever press because St. Peter is down the line.” "-Kambiz Kamrani

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh6ceu_dopamine-jackpot-sapolsky-on-the-science-of-pleasure_news#from=embed

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Min my answer to this today is much different than it would have been back when we first joined JWD.

I have been toying with the idea of checking out some non-denominational churches, something like Unitarians. But I don't know. I've been going through a few things the past year and I'm feeling the need to connect. With what I don't know, people certainly but some of it is curiousity. I've experienced quite a few coincidences, something a couple of people I have great respect for told me would happen if I asked.

If I do experiment it won't be anytime soon. Still putting my life back together. I'm in a much better place today than August 2010. But to answer your question, IF I experiment it would have to be something that is low impact, very low emphasis on doctrine or dogma, and high emphasis on people.

Chris

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Online religion. While I no longer believe in "religion" or the Bible as the word of God (who dat is?), I do stream in Joel Osteen's full morning service twice a month. He has a really good christian rock house band and always has a positive message.

If he's a prosperity preacher in eyes of some, so what...I have nothing against prosperity.

• poopsiecakes
    poopsiecakes

Shelby you silly thing...dudeism is a movement of mostly non-action based on the film The Big Lebowski.

http://dudeism.com/

• Bungi Bill
    Bungi Bill

While I always keep an open mind to such matters, I have seen nothing yet to dispell my extreme distrust of religion in any of its forms.

Bill.

• minimus
    minimus

TEX, Great to see you doing better!!!!

Join a good club, it's better than a religion, imho.

• tec
    tec

I don't have a problem with meeting other believers and talking of Christ and God, or going out and doing good deeds in their name - or anyone else who does this. But as soon as tenets are defined, and rules are laid out, and all that... then it becomes an organization that a person is following and not Christ (imo). So, no there is no religion I would feel comfortable joining.

I also don't understand the point, really. No one organization has a channel or group over the rest. They're all operating on the same book, and following doctrines others have told them to follow. I see no reason to listen to what other 'men' say about Christ. I'd rather search for and listen to Christ, Himself.

Kudra, I don't like the atheistic satanism tenets, and I especially dislike their list of sins... so there's one for you ;) Perhaps because mercy and forgiveness (for loved ones and enemies) is at the top of my list of 'virtues'.

Peace,

Tammy

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

i cannot be a part of any of them. i still search for life's meaning and right now my search is centered on the concept of what can i really prove.

• d
    d

no not really.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

Just my own,Velvetarian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit