Sister are not to talk to the brothers alone

by life is to short 31 Replies latest jw friends

• life is to short
    life is to short

OK this just hit me the other day.

I was a sister in my early 40 an adult. A very bad child molester moved into the hall, and was starting to be used. I knew of his background and could not stand him or stand to see him gaining the apporval of the elders and congregation. My husband was an elder had been one for about 28 years at the time and my husband was in his late 50's. My husband was the school overseer.

So I am watching this child molester worm his way into friendships with members of the hall even handing out magazines, going behind the counters, etc. Going out in service all the time, once even conducting a meeting for field service, I am being told Jehovah will take care of it and for me not to worry my pretty head over it. Just let the big strong elders and Jehovah take care of it.

Up until this point in the religion I had tried to be the good little elder's wife and to just let the big strong elders with their brief bag and their confidential provote e der's meetings handle everything, but this just started to really eat at me.

So I went to the PO COBE and told him what I knew. My husband had told me he had also told the body but I saw nothing happening expect that the child molester was getting more and more bold in reaching out in the hall. Well the COBE was very nice to me, truly he was he thanked me and said he would keep his eye on the problem and of course not to worry my pretty little head over it that I would never have to work in field service with the child molester or his wife, etc and that the elders had a handle on it all.

So then nothing happens. Another month goes by and the child molester is just puffing up more and more in the hall and also odly enough trying to be around me more and more by sitting close to where my husband and I sat in the hall etc. So I went to the secretary and told him what I knew. That was a huge mistake. He hugely blew up at me. We were standing by the drinking fountain in the back of the hall there were people around us but still he pointed his finger in my face demanding to know how I knew this person was a child molester. He asked me who had told me? He was not yelling but his voice was a hiss of peer anger and he was red in the face. I lost it and just started to cry really I was sobbing which just made this elder ever madder at me because some of congregation started to look at us.

The elder left me in a rage and I went to our car still just sobbing. My husband came out asked what was going on and when I told him he got mad at me. He said I should not have talked to the elder alone and what did I expect, etc. That night I was so distressed that I honestly thought of committing suicide. My husband was mad at me for a couple of days. The next couple of meetings were hell with the way the secretary and many of the other elders treated me. The only good outcome was the secretary did finally after over three months get a letter from the child molester's former hall stating indeed he was a pedophile.

For all of these past four years I have felt stupid at what I did, even after being on this board I have still felt stupid. I should have known better I kept thinking. Why did I even think to talk alone to an elder, what is wrong with me? I have beaten myself up over and over at what I did thinking why was I so stupid?

Than it just downed on me last Friday at work what the heck am I thinking. I was an adult women who approached an adult man in public about a problem that I felt was huge and could harm children and this adult man throws a temper tantrum. He was hissing at me and he blew up in anger and yet everyone told me I was in the wrong because I was a sister a women and I did not know my place.

I was thinking Friday even if I was in the wrong, which I still feel I was not wrong but even if I was how he reacted was horrible. Then for me to be blamed by everyone including my husband just adds even more the wongness of this.

What other religion would a leader, pastor, etc be able to treat a member as horribly as this elder did me and nothing happen? I never got any apology God forbid. I got nothing but to be told to never do it again.

I finally downed on me why I have such huge depression all my life. I hated myself for all of these years because I spoke out as an adult to another adult and I guess as a JW women that should never happen?

This was just one of many, many times I have been talked down to in the religion and all of the years that that I have hated myself, because of believing I was bad or in the wrong.

I am finally starting to get really mad at what has happened to me all of these years. If people could just see inside this religion and how women are treated with such contempt I know it would be a huge shock to many when they open their doors to the smiling happy JW's Saturday morning.

LITS

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I don't understand why talking alone to him was considered wrong. It happened at the KH. You were not in your bedroom, enticing him.

Petty tyrants are the worse ones in my opinion. JW women don't support each other. I attended college just as feminism was hitting big. Men were afraid of us. If something untoward happened to me b/c of sexism, I had a coterie of sisters to back me up and I backed them. Repeatedly.

My high school culture and certainly JW denigrated women. Men had all the action and status. This quickly changed. Men could be in my life but I could also enjoy the company of women. No one ever broke an engagement with me to go out on a date at the last minute.

If women had more self-esteem, I don't see how they can stomach the Witnesses.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I am woman, here me roar honey :D

• hellenback
    hellenback

Luck for the elder and the nonce you are not my wife because I would have given him a hiding right there in front of all to see. When I was married and a witness an elder spoke out of turn to me about my wife and very quietly i told him that if it happened again for a few short seconds I would revert to the man i was before being A witness . Suffice to say his testicles dissappeared .

• flipper
    flipper

LITS- It is disgusting how you were treated by this elder and OTHER elders regarding protecting children. And even how you were treated at all was abhorrent. The unethical and horrific manner that women are treated in this organization never ceases to amaze me. I think it's good that you post about your experiences as t is part of the healing process for you. Just remember you have a good suppot group here with many of us who understand and have dealt with similar treatment in our JW past. To a lesser or greater degree. We are with you in spirit- remember that. Hang in there

• cantleave
    cantleave

Makes me so fn angry

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hugs across the ocean(s?) to you x

If that had happened anywhere else, the scenario would be so different! Shame on them for how they treated you x

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

You showed clearly that you were more moral than they.

• Scully
    Scully

Your best bet would have been to notify the police of the child molester's whereabouts and activities.

You would have remained anonymous, and the Elders™ would have had to answer some very uncomfortable questions.... maybe even get a lawyer to defend themselves.

Regarding "Sisters™ are not to talk to the Brothers™ alone" - I tend to agree, but not for the stupid sexual misconduct bullshit they think. When confronting someone over a legal matter (and aiding and abetting a child molester is definitely a legal matter) you need a witness to the conversation who can corroborate who was present, what was said and what the response was. It is totally a matter of CYA.

• blondie
    blondie

I totally agree with Scully on this. We cannot go back and undo the past but from this point forward, if any of us have good reason to believe someone is a danger to children, inside or outside the congregation, go to the police; or is someone else has information, encourage them, no offer to go with them to report it. They will maintain your anonymity. You have no idea who has already gone to the police about the same person and your information could strengthen their case, making them able to act.

I always would grab a trusted person at the KH to be with me whenever an elder chose to "chat" with me. I know an elder that was approached by 2 other elders and then they lied about what had been said to the BOE. Gender is not an issue, it's a CYA measure.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit