I'm new here..... Studying with the Witnesses

by PenelopePaige 160 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

posting to try to push this over to the next page

• PenelopePaige
    PenelopePaige

I just wanted to thank everyone for the responses. I am at work now but when I get home tonight, I'm going to go over each and every one. Thanks so much for everyone's opinions and advice. I appreciate and will certainly pay attention to everything I read. Thanks again. :)

• Giordano
    Giordano

Some other things to consider: http://ed5015.tripod.com/JwPewSurvey121.htm

The Pew Survey

of

Religion and Public Life and Jehovah's Witnesses

The Pew survey of Religion and Life association researches the intersection of Religion and public life to better understand the role of religion as a whole in public life in America today. The 2008 survey reveals a great deal of information about religion in society as well as about the Jehovah's Witnesses (JW) religion.

One major finding was that Jehovah’s Witnesses “had the lowest retention rate of any religious tradition” – only 37 percent of those who were reared Jehovah’s Witnesses still identified themselves as Witnesses as adults (2008, p. 26)."

" The Witnesses had one of the lowest levels of education of all the religions surveyed."

"About half (42 percent) of the Jehovah's Witnesses had incomes below 30,000 and only nine percent had incomes above 100,000 dollars. Only those involved in historically black churches had incomes below the Witnesses (p. 60). "

" More females identified themselves with some theistic religious tradition than males for most all religious traditions, including the Witnesses. Of the Witnesses, the divide was greater than for most all religions, namely only 40 percent of all Witnesses were males, and 60 percent were females."

Pentelope trust your husband on this one.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Welcome!

Well, you're at the point where they've lured you into the car with candy and the promise that they'll take you to a party with lots of other happy people and animals. Before you close the door, think really hard about what comes next. Sure, they may really be nice people, but they're counting their time in order to remain "in good standing" with a publishing company claiming to be god's official organization.

• flipper
    flipper

PENELOPE PAIGE- WElcome to the board my friend, nice to have you here ! In answer to your question, YES there will be more expected of you by the Witnesses down the line as you continue studying. The way it works is initially in order to make a really good impression on you Jehovah's Witnesses do what's called " love bombing " on a new recruit or just shower them with all the caring and attention you can imagine in order to get you into joining the organization. And once you are a baptized Jehovah's Witness - it is expected then that you tow the line of following EVERYTHING the WT society tells you to do- even if you don't agree with it - because they claim they are " God's spokesmen ".

So once you are baptized you'll be expected to turn field service time in once a month averaging at least 10 hours a month in knocking on people's doors pushing JW beliefs. Then you'll be expected to attend 5 meetings a week two days a week. Then you'll be expected to do your " personal study " keeping up on ALL the WT society's publications and reading them all regularly. IF you have doubts once you are baptized the elders will look at you as possibly being " overeached by Satan the Devil " and you will be looked at as having sinful leanings because you doubt ! If you persist in doubting and talk openly to others in the congregation about those doubts you will be looked at as an " apostate " or an even WORSE sinner !

Bottom line is - WT society and Jehovah's Witnesses are a closed , semi-secret society which demands much of it's members once you join. Essentially along with the Scientologists, Mormons, they are viewed as a mind control cult. If you like thinking for yourself I urge you to drop your studying, if you like some one else to do all your thinking then you may like it. Just being straightforward here and cutting to the chase because I care , that's all. I was in the Witnesses 44 years, got out almost 8 years ago. I've never been happier ! Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Sam Whiskey
    Sam Whiskey

If you love Christmas, and....you continue to study with the Witnesses, can I buy your Christmas Tree?

P.S.- We didn't get disfellowshiped for 607 or anything else they tried to pin on us. We were disfellowshiped for.....wait for it....CHRISTMAS!

It's OK though, we LOVE Christmas.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

i can't see most of page 3 but now can see again!!! thanks for pushing it forward!

• wiser
    wiser

Penelope, I was raised southern baptist/pentcostal and in nondenominational churches.In all my years of instruction I was taught not to believe in an organiztion but to put all my trust in God and his holy word. I knew nothing about the Jehovah witnesses religion. When I accepted an invitation to study, I simply assumed it was similar to all protestant churches. Boy, was I wrong! Their teahing materials are slanted to justify the organiztions beliefs. I tried to give them non biased material on subjects we were studying which they could not even look at because it is apostate material. In other words they are the true religion and everyone else is false.

Curiosty led me to research The Jehovah Witnesses. 101 Strange Beliefs and Pratices of the Jehovahs Witnesses, Freeminds and Jehovahs-Witness.net and many others. Are valueable tools of information about this religion. They have kept me safe and I use the information to pass along to others. Despite their claims to be the true religion and fastest growing , few people know about them. I encourge you to to hear everyone out and to research every wesite of exJehovah witnesses.

• Joepublisher1
    Joepublisher1

Dear PenelopePaige,

Let me tell you the mistake that I made. When it appeared that all their doctrines were based on Bible scripture - that is, they seemingly always pointed to a scripture to back up their belief/teaching - that went a long way towards me accepting their religion as THE TRUTH. Then the congregations seem to convince me even more that this religion is the ONLY true one.

My father tried to point out significant mistakes that the religion had made in the past (i.e. 1975) and the lavish lifestyle of Joe Rutherford - but my mind was already closed towards any critism and I dissed my own father (who is now dead). That's why what you are doing is to be commended.

Their are so many good YouTube videos which show conclusively why this religion is NOT who they say they are. I hope you will take the time to learn as much as possible about this religion outside of their white-washed versions of history and false doctrine. Remember this. No one has the right to tell you what NOT to read. As a matter of fact, when any human organization of imperfect men commands you not to read anything critical of their religion, a RED flag should go up!

Wish you the best PenelopePaige! Again, please avail yourself of everything out there about Jehovah's Witnesses and then YOU make the decision in the end - at least it will be based on a well-rounded basis.

btw: Please participate in this forum - if you ask JWs a question and it doesn't feel right, ask the same question here. You'll find that many on this forum are not shy about sharing with you what they have learned.

b

• RosePetal
    RosePetal

If we are looking for perfection with any religious group we will always come to disappointment. But no matter how mainstream churches may disappoint us they cannot take our integrity, our faith and relationship with our creator, they cannot seperate us from Gods love we can only do that ourselves. However, in my experience of being a 'JW' for thirty years, the mindset that you develop and which they encourage, if you default on the organisation, they feel that they have the authority to strip you of your dignity, selfrespect, they will strip you bare and even take Gods love away from you.

And the irony of it is, you will actually come away believing that they can. These are classic symptoms of a cult so don't be fooled into thinking it is not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit