JW nephew graduation party cancelled... your insight is requested

by Alfred 64 Replies latest jw friends

• Joliette
    Joliette

That is absolute craziness, absurd. I cannot STAND how back stabbing and petty a lot of the witnesses can be. All for 'protecting god and his so called organization.'

I've heard so many stories I could write a book ( I think I will write a book).

Be sure to update us on what happens, and sorry about your nephews experience.

Maybe this whole fiasco will wake him up to what the org is really all about.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Sorry to hear about this...hopefully he'll come to see the org for what it really is sooner than later.

• dozy
    dozy

If your nephew has been encouraged to "excel" at high school & is planning to go to college , then your sister won't be an elder's wife much longer. Current WTBTS instruction is to review the qualifications of any elder who in any way encourages his son or daughter to go to college.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I agree with having him come visit you and encouraging education AND dating normal girls.

I saw a documentary about ex-Amish and there was this guy who looked to be in his mid-30s or maybe 40. He opens his home to Amish kids who left, are leaving, or are considering leaving the faith for as long as they need help adjusting and getting on their feet in the real world. He was an inspiration.

I'd love to do that for ex-Dub teens and anyone who does so, even to the degree of just spending a week with a JW kid to help him is ACES in my book!

• Alfred
    Alfred

@Dozy... I've read that a few times in the past (elders being asked to step down if their kids go to college)... But I have to ask... Is this really current WTBTS policy? The reason I ask is because I know a few elders who have kids in college while the CO does nothing... In fact, the PO from the congo I used to attend is actually a college professor himself and was in the process of getting a doctorate's degree last year... I guess it just depends on the region...

• yrkdnme
    yrkdnme

WELLLLL, Get this-at 20 when I was disfellowshiped people actually had the nerve to ask for their graduation gifts back that were given to me two years earlier. How INSANE was that???

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

The asking elders to step down if their kid is in college is a NEW directive as of the 2010-11 Kingdom Ministry School for Elders.

It isn't a blanket policy, though. The statement was that if an elder encourages young people to attend higher education or allows his kids to do so, he will be spoken to by the rest of the body to determine whether he is still fit to serve.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Mad Sweeney, Well, I know an elder that have given talks at the District Assembly many times, his son graduated from College not long ago.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Well, the WT society speaks from both sides of their mouths!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Whenever I see this thread on Active Topics, I find myself tearing up. What so many parents would give to have such a wondrous son? Imagine parents with Down Syndrome's children. It is too personal. Hopefully, the rest of life will balance this hurt for him. This is his time by right, not his parents' choice. He did nothing immoral. They could easily have a Casey Anthony.

What makes me cry is that I usually have anger about my specific childhood but stories such as this prove the hurt is ongoing. There is nothing to do. Right now I am thinking of the WT illustrations for Ba'al the OT god or godess that demanded child sacrifice. And what was Isaac, chicken liver? Abraham/Isaac - this story. What a sad story.

I'm hoping you can tell him that he has many well-wishers either way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit