I joined a new cult

by skeeter1 48 Replies latest social physical

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

From his book "3 Steps to Incredible Health", page 68.

Moderate drinking has been associated wtih a low incidence of coronary heart disease in more than forty prospective studies. This only appies to moderate drinking - defined as one drink or less per day for women, and two drinks or less for men. Excess alcohol is of course harmful - more than moderate alcohol intake is associated with increased fat around the waist and other potential problems, especially increased incidence of cancer" (breast cancer is second leading cause of death in women - to cardiovasular disease).

(Quotes a study by Ferreira MG Alcohol consumption and abdominal fat in bood donors Rev Saude Publica December 08;Sesso HD...Alcohol consumption and the risk of hyptension in women and en Hypertention April 2008; and Phend C. MedPage Today Moderate Drinking Boosts Breast Cancer Recurrence.)

He goes on to say that alcohol is "heart healthY" becuase it inhibits the blood's clotting mechanism (similar to aspirin). It is "healthy" in populations that are eating a diet promoting heart disease. But, the blood thinning has life threatening results - including hemorrhagic stroke.

He says that increased alcohol consuption leads to mild withdrawal sensations the next day, which could be mistaken for hunger.

Red wine has good favonoids and resveratrol, a potent antioxident in the skin of grapes associated with health benefits. But, grapes, raisings, berries and other plant foods also have these beneficial compounds.

So, drinking in moderation is fine.

• Think About It
    Think About It
    (mushrooms and onions, in particular, prevent new blood vessels and tumor formation)

I have been back into healthy eating again after a 4 year absence. (not hard core, but balanced) I'm a big believer in the good health effects of onions. What is the "prevent new blood vessels about"? Also a big believer in the benefits of L-arginine supplements. Good luck with your new lifestyle.

Think About It

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

hah, I was just joking yesterday "you know those whacky health-food nuts who make weird smoothies and never eat normal food? That's ME now... I'm that guy".

But after one month, I feel great and I'm reversing all the cancer and heart disease that surely must have been ravaging my body considering the way I'd been eating for the past ten years.

Skeeter, you might enjoy the docu-movie that was playing in theaters about a month ago, "Forks over Knives". I came home from watching that and promptly got rid of almost all the animal products in my house and immediately started my plant based diet. In my case, I'd already read most of the nutrition research the movie was based on, and as well had long been uncomfortable with the fact that we don't just eat animals, we "grow" them in torturous conditions, and we ruin the planet for our children and ourselves as we do so; so I'm not sure exactly why simply watching the movie caused me to act so decisively on my personal diet... but I'm glad it did. Maybe I was just ready. Anyway, the two doctors who are the primary researchers featured are very straight-forward guys, they don't engage in hype or make wild claims.

But I did go ahead and blow it at a 4th of July fish-fry yesterday. :)

• rebel8
    rebel8

Never heard of nutritarian, but have heard of orthorexia (not a real disease, just a term for a dangerous behavior). Mill around in a health food store for a while and you'll see it first hand--people whose waking moments are overtaken with thinking about, obtaining and consuming healthy stuff.

Most of what you've said sounds correct except for the reversing of disease and curing cancer. AFAIK healthy food does not cure but may help put symptoms into remission by just not abusing the body nutritionally any more.

I eat like that most the time, because that's the way our bodies function best. However, our bodies can take the occasional Oreo cookie too.

I don't believe in the "no dairy" thing as being a necessity. However, I eat little dairy and don't miss it. I feel better this way.

What I think you'll find is your palate will (or already did) reset itself so it craves healthy foods. I do -- I've been craving some multigrain toast with garlic bean spread, so I went and got the ingredients to make it.

You are also probably eating less calories and more fiber, which expains why you feel better and lost weight right away.

Good luck

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quote:

We saw his program on PBS. When those shows come on, we take notes.

Though not as detailed as we once did at the conventions, but just the basics.

That way we don't go overboard as sticklers do, yet can benefit from the tips offered.

It's easier to follow something when it's a principle applied to circumstances,

rather than a 100% "must do'", in every case.

Do not be decieved AwareBeing, while it is good that you take notes, do not fool yourself into thinking there is safety in just associating! NO, you want to be solidly in the center of Dr. Furhman's organization.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

YEARS BACK... I went on a totally vegetarian diet - no meat, eggs, dairy - animal products. I don't like to call it a VEGAN diet necessarily, because that is more of an 'ideological' position, although I don't disagree with a lot of the animal rights stuff.

Anyway, I lost weight, got rid of chronic sinus infections I would have every few months, and felt 'better.' I discontinued after a few years basically because it was difficult socially. If I lived in the East Village, wouldn't have been such a problem. But when you have to bring your own food to every social get-together and order a side of steamed broccoli and baked potato at most restaurants, it gets tiring.

But I was able to take away a lot of good practices from the experiences, and I am a much healthier eater. In the end you find a BALANCE.

And booze is not necessarily prohibited in veganism!

SKEETER - thanks for the reference, unfortunately my drinking may not qualify as moderate!

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Yes these diet specific plans are healthier to be sure, add another important ingredient into the picture, daily exercise and

you have a healthy and good looking body. The most important aspect to this dietary plan is the reduction of intake of animal fat,

found mostly in red meat. Cut down on this saturated fat intake which is a high calorie by weight in consumption and most people will lose weight.

Have you ever seen a fat over weight vegetarian whose been one for while ?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Red wine has good favonoids and resveratrol, a potent antioxident in the skin of grapes associated with health benefits.

I'm gonna do with this like I now do with the Watchtower material -- pick and choose which points I like and/or agree with.

Lots of favonoids and resveratrol and antioxidents around here!!

Whoo hoo! And I thought the only good purpose in Cabernet or Merlot was to get a brief escape from the day's anxieties. Now I find out it's HEALTHY!

• designs
    designs

I have one side of my family who are SDA and they all seem very healthy and slim with their non-meat diet.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I ordered the PBS offer - $150 for 3 books, 6 DVDs, and a trial membership in his website. I haven't had the chance to get on the website. I am either working or getting psychological help from JWN.

Anyway, one of the three books is a complete cookbook. Recipes for salads, dressings, soups, main entrees, desserts, etc. This book is a gem. Another of the three books has a number of pages devoted to the psychology and sociology of obese people. It has many angles I never thought of about overeating. Kind of like when I first read "apostate" material. It also goes into depth on nutrition The DVDs go into more depth then the show, but the books are where it's at. But, the DVDs are nice for all and especially for kids. Now, my kids are eating their veggies too. The DVDs are like the simplified version of the Watchtower!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit