Maximum Damage to the WT.

by Essan 52 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Essan
    Essan

I have to hand it to the Society. They understand the power of organization. They demonstrate that no matter how ridiculous your message and how much the facts don't support your position you can still accomplish a lot if you are organized. I think we could learn a lot from them.

We have the truth and the evidence on our side. We have considerable numbers. We are making an impact but nowhere near the limits of our potential IMO. Even those with a very broad and nebulous anti-establishment agenda, even those doing it primarily for a laugh, groups like Anonymous, have proven to be more effective with a minimum of organization.

Surely we can do more damage?

By damage I mean causing the WT to lose members and prevent them gaining new ones. I also mean giving them the maximum amount of bad publicity and exposure.

How can we do this? Obviously I'm only speaking to those who want to do this. I know and understand the position of those who don't really care or don't feel any more can be accomplished. I'm speaking to those who feel more can be accomplished and who are eager to get stuck in.

Would a kind of loose knit 'Anti-Org' give people more a sense of community and direction in the fight against the WT? Would it lead to more action effective action being taken against the WT? I believe so. People are strong when they group together for a common cause and agree to a common course of action, or series of them ('Operations' as Anonymous refers to their actions).

What about a brainstorming session? Ideas? How could we use our numbers to make use of he media, for instance?

What about a series of orchestrated public debates, in which those from our numbers who have the knowledge and confidence to take on the Society over various issues (their failed predictions, changed dates, blood policy, the UN hypocrisy etc - anything that would expose their hidden history and dirty laundry) publicly challenge local elders or Society reps to public debates in cities all around the country, or even in many countries, inviting members of the public, JW's and local journalists etc to attend (funding for venues etc. by supporters of these ventures)? Then, when the JW reps don't attend, as is likely, a presentation of the facts goes ahead and the point is made that the JW's are too scared and secretive to face debate. People could post flyers advertising it, and newspaper and radio adverts. It could serve as a massive warning anti-witnessing campaign.

What about doing this online? Challenges and invitations offered to attend Skype type video or audio conference/debates, advertised through facebook and email lists? The JW's can be destroyed in open debate by someone armed with the facts and their own literature.

Just thinking out loud. Any other ideas?

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I think the best we can hope for is a loose coalition. After years of enforced conformity few ex-JWs want to be part of an organization, even one with the goal of getting people out of the Borg.

There are LOTS of people doing their own thing and I agree that combining and coordinating efforts would help. And I think, to an extent, we do that.

I've sent Anony Mous, for example, a bunch of email addresses of elders and MSs I used to know for him to use in his email campaign. Tim (Tuesday) has come on Cult Free Radio to talk about his life and his "Questions for JWs" youtube projects. JuanViejo2 and I have collaborated on some stuff for www.ex-jw.com . CSTheApostate has made a promo for Cult Free Radio on his own time to put on his youtube channel.

So there is some collaboration and cross-promotion going on already. What seems to be missing is an information clearinghouse where ex-JWs can reach a wide audience of like-minded people who are doing similar projects, who would be interested in participating in or aiding those projects, or who would benefit from those projects.

I think a LOT of people are doing a LOT of great things, from websites to youtubes to flyers/brochures to email campaigns to Internet radio and beyond. There needs to be a single place where information about all of that stuff can be found. A website might work, or even just a JWN thread that we keep bumping to the top with updates. Something like "What are YOU doing for the Vast Apostate Army?" could be a thread where anyone can post what they're doing to help people exit the Borg.

People could post their website address, describe their anti-Witness campaign, put up links to their flyers, give experiences about their contacts with JWs, etc. All in one thread.

My guess is it would get really really long because a lot of people are doing a lot of good work. We just don't want to join an organization, per se.

• Essan
    Essan

Yeah, I do think that there is lots happening and a lot of great ideas. But, as you said, there isn't the awareness or the orchestraton to put real numbers and resources behind these efferts, of the kind that could make them spectacularly effective.

There are those with the ideas and those willing to get behind and support the ideas, in various ways. But if the they don't have a place to collaborate, hear about what is happening, read about what has already happened and focus future efforts then they may always remain relatively scattered and small time. I liked what you said here:

What seems to be missing is an information clearinghouse where ex-JWs can reach a wide audience of like-minded people who are doing similar projects, who would be interested in participating in or aiding those projects, or who would benefit from those projects.

That's what we need then.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

I've always wondered what I could do. Sometimes I feel like going back to the "territory" that I used to preach and do some anti-watchtower preaching. Prefererably when the rest of the JWs were out there too. LOL

• Yan Bibiyan
    Yan Bibiyan

What seems to be missing is an information clearinghouse where ex-JWs can reach a wide audience of like-minded people who are doing similar projects, who would be interested in participating in or aiding those projects, or who would benefit from those projects.

Mad, what you describe is a Wiki. Not expensive or difficult to host and maintain by someone with a moderate IT knowledge.

• Scully
    Scully

The WT is doing a good job of self-inflicted damage.

Its negative view of higher education results in yet another generation who will survive on poorly paying jobs, and with rising cost of living, unable to afford to support in large measure the extra expense of putting money in the Contribution Box™.

With a family on a single income, before I went back to school, we couldn't afford to put money in the Contribution Box™. And now that I'm out of the JWs, there's no way in hell that I would give a penny to the WTS. I have worked too hard on catching up financially on the decade I missed out on following the WTS's financial advice. I'll probably never be at the level my co-workers in my age group are at (as far as my pension goes) but at least I'm preparing for my retirement, which is something that the WTS didn't consider a worthy pursuit.

• cantleave
    cantleave

If we start an organisation, can i be on the Governing Body?

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The idea of 'Maximum Damage' is a negative idea. How about, 'Maximum Help', which is positive.

IMHO, your efforts are best directed at assisting those who are exiting and educating non-JWs about the dangers of high-control groups.

Those who are already captive to the concept will most likely die as captives, even if they no longer attend. We're the lucky ones! We escaped! We are in a unique position to comfort and assist those who are just now learning the truth about The Truth.

Empowering people to think for themselves has little to do with doctrine. Rather, with active cult members, you must help them to recognize irrational fears and phobias. Only after they have identified and conquered these irrational fears, can they internalize the wealth of free knowledge that is readily available. Once the blinders are off, it's very obvious that WT is not special or led by God.

Your greatest tools are Love and Patience.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Mad Sweeney - I've sent Anony Mous, for example, a bunch of email addresses of elders and MSs I used to know for him to use in his email campaign. . . .

So there is some collaboration and cross-promotion going on already. What seems to be missing is an information clearinghouse where ex-JWs can reach a wide audience of like-minded people who are doing similar projects, who would be interested in participating in or aiding those projects, or who would benefit from those projects. . . .

Although I feel that it would be better for everyone to send an anonymous or non-anonymous emails to friends and relatives, I will offer to send anonymous emails like I described in the thread "Youe've Got Mail!" . For the past year, I have been writing the "BibleStudent Blog" on the JWSF to empower JWs, former JWs, and non-JWs to free the minds and Holy Spirit of JWs. I have tried to make the "BibleStudent Blog" a single source of information to help people and contains my thoughts, comments from others, and information that I have collected in the past year. I wish that the JWN , JWSF , and other forums would have seperate sections for helping newbies and truth seekers (i.e., lurkers) learn about Steve Hassan's books, Raymond Franz's books, and reading about ex-JWs experience in fading and maintaining family relationships and to organize how to change the WTBTS.

Somedays I wonder what would happen to the WTBTS if they lost their tax-exempt status. What if governments changed their tax codes so that organizations would have to pass criteria to prevent mind controlling organizations from being granted tax exempt status. My ultimate dream would be that personal income tax would be replaced with a retail sales tax, but too many organizations (i.e., tax lawyers & accountants, charities, real estate agents, etc.) would fight such a common sense change.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

ABibleStudent (on the JWN) BibleStudent (on the JWSF)

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Is there already an ex-Cult Wiki in existence? I think it would be more useful and practical to exist alongside ex-Mormons, ex-Scientologists, ex-Moonies, etc. under an overall ex-Cult (or whatever other name you want to call it) umbrella.

I'd love to see such a wiki on Steve Hassan's "freedomofmind.com" domain with contributions from all over the ex-cult spectrum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit