New here - hello!

by sickandtired 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• TheListener
    TheListener

Welcome Sickandtired.

Like others on the board I'm very glad you posted. It does us all good to share our thoughts and feelings and to get feedback from others in similar situations.

I remember when I was first beginning to realize that I didn't believe everything I had been taught since infancy. I would wake up in the middle of the night during stormy weather and just lie there "knowing" that the end was coming and I would be killed by God for my faithlessness. I would pray and pray and pray that my thinking would be readjusted and knew that if I just studied more, associated with the friends more and pushed my doubts aside I would get better.

I tried those things but after awhile nothing felt real to me. I could force an emotional response to reading a life story in the Awake magazine but I just couldn't agree with all the doctrinal rules and regulations I had been taught my whole llife.

It took me several years to fade. At each step of the process my wife became angrier and angrier with me. She never threatened to leave and in fact told me she wouldn't. But, that didn't make her pleased with what I was doing. In her eyes I was turning my back on God and was on my way to being a drug smoking, alcoholic gambler who had multiple affairs. Now, I've been free of the witnesses for over 5 years and I am none of those things she thought I'd be. Unfortunately she is still a devoted Witness.

If you've read CoC and found it sincere (as did I) then you are truly on your way to mental freedom. Shedding ourselves of a lifetime of indoctrination takes time and effort. Doing this while married to a Witness just adds to the complexity of the situation.

I found the key to be slow and steady. Don't push your husband too far. Let him see that you are living your life in a decent moral manner even though you are slowly unraveling years of indoctrinated thought. Let him see your personality shine as you grow. And all of this without the fear of being cut off from God's grace and the light load that Jesus gives us.

Stay strong and take it one day at a time.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Welcome to JWN! Many religions have unity, racial and otherwise, and society as a whole has made great strides in overcoming prejudice in the last few decades. I hate to be a naysayer, but the Watchtower hasn't always treated the black race equally. It was once believed that black people would become white in paradise. And while I really hate to pee on your parade, the Watchtower, much like the Catholic Church, has been embroiled in child molestation scandals and cover-ups for close to 50 years.

Gice yourself some time to investigate and digest information that is important to you. Then come back here and ask for reference materials, which (usually come from the Watchtower itself).

• ziddina
    ziddina

Welcome, Sick and Tired!!

You are definitely NOT the first Elder's wife to come on this board and express your concerns...

A few words of warning...

Do NOT mention specifics on your posts that may help to identify who you are. There are those who visit this site, looking for 'doubters' and budding 'apostates', so as to report them to their local elders and judicial committees...

Do NOT entrust ANY fellow Jehovah's Witness with your doubts or the fact that you have posted on here. If possible, do you have any neighbors who AREN'T Jehovah's Witnesses, that you can also talk to?? Be sure that THEY can keep their mouths shut, before you trust them with your doubts - make sure that THEY won't attempt to convert you to THEIR church, but will simply be an open, hearing ear for you...

There are a few posters on this website who are still active, believing Jehovah's Witnesses - or are hyper-dedicated apologists for the Watchtower Society, even tho they are frequent posters on this [apostate!! ] website...

Before trusting ANYONE on this site with personal PMs with sensitive information, BE SURE TO LOOK AT THAT PERSON'S PAST POSTS AND THREADS. See if they show a consistent pattern of being close-mouthed and trustworthy, before telling them anything that might identify you specifically - and your location...

Don't want to scare you - I'm just sayin'... Much of my cautions should be put into practice no matter WHAT sort of website you're visiting - recipe exchange, quilting ideas, and so on...

Oh, and I'm

Zid the She-Devil

• Chemical Emotions
    Chemical Emotions

Hello Sickandtired! I'm new here too! I hope you find this site as benificial as I am finding it.

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Welcome.

Bangalore

• sweet pea
    sweet pea

Welcome! It's heart warming to see that you've had so much great advice on here. I hope you find strength and support for what will undoubtably be a tough journey in the years ahead.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    What I think I have the hardest time with (as far as whether or not to believe it's the "truth") is when I look at the unity in the organization and how people overcome deep seated prejudices when they become Witnesses.

From a sociological perspective, it's a matter of changing the "us" in "us against them". While it is certainly true that there are plenty of prejudiced people in the world that view their racial, ethnic, or national group as superior, JWs simple reassign their social identity as part of the Watchtower Corporation designed culture. They may overcome deep seated racial prejudices, but they replace it with contempt for "worldly", "apostate", "homo", and a myriad other epithets of WT endorsed prejudices. New hateful prejudices replace old hateful prejudices.

Despite what anyone might say, Jehovah's Witnesses aren't prejudice... they hate everyone that's not a JW and look forward to them all dying when rocks fall on their heads.

I have to ask, though, if you've ever been employed by or been the employer of other JWs? In the local congregation, such "unity in the organization" is a facade. There were so many problems that it is now the practice to NOT hire other JWs. And that's really, really sad.

• 2pink
    2pink

Hi there and welcome!

I can definitely relate to your post. I was a born in, and truly believed it all until a few years ago, when my first daughter was born. My husband was also born in, and all our extended family are JWs with the exception of one aunt, uncle and cousin. Serious doubts came about 2 years ago and despite knowing what I would lose if I pursued them, I just couldn't ignore the suffocation any longer. I went online and did extensive research. I read CofC. Within a few weeks' time, I was convinced this was not a true religion. I never stepped foot in a KH again, I just could not do it. As much as a slow fade would've been the better option, I am not the type of person who can hide how I really feel, especially from my family members.

I told my husband shortly after I decided it wasn't the truth. I just laid out everything. He agreed with me about a lot of it, and had had his own doubts for many years. He kept going to meetings for a few months, but after doing his own research, he left shortly after I did. We have 3 kids who were 5, 3 and 1 at the time. Obviously, we got them out early enough for the KH to be a distant, fuzzy memory.

The worst came when we told our families--again, we really don't like to live double lives, so we outted ourselves. And with small children who would inevitably want to show grandma what they got for their birthday, slowly fading was not an option. We did lose every single person, except my youngest sister. When I told her, she was thrilled and basically said, I'm coming with you. She had stayed in all those years because she could not face leaving on her own. I do miss the rest of my family dearly. I've cried many tears over it, and know it will be one of those things that will never heal.

BUT, that said, I wouldnt change a thing. We are happier now than we have ever been. Mental and emotional freedom is priceless! My children are allowed to be children, and will make their own choices in life. That still brings me to tears when I think about it because I never had that option, and it's something I'll be sure they do not take for granted. ANy relationships they form in life will be unconditional, unlike all the ones we left behind. Sometimes I am sad for them that they no longer have extended family really (we came from HUGE families), but again, the joy and happiness and peace we have everyday together is more than worth what we have lost. There is life on the other side, should that be what you choose.

Anyway, I know how lonely it can be at first when you are the only one with these thoughts and no one to talk to. Feel free to message me anytime. Good luck in your search for answers.

One more thing--After reading your post, I was going to make the same point as the above poster. While JWs generally appear to not hold racial prejudices amongst themselves, they sure as heck are prejudiced against anyone who is not a JW. And, if you talk to any JWs who grew up poor, or in a single parent household, they will tell you that they definitely felt discriminated against and treated differently. I had some of the same thoughts when I was first doubting. I made a list actually with PROS and CONS of the JWs. On the PRO side was "harmony among members", though I now realize that was nothing more than the mandatory generic cult personality masking the real one that had to be buried deep down inside.

• AndersonsInfo
    AndersonsInfo

Welcome “sickandtired,”

We're so happy to have you posting on JWN. The beginning of my story is very similar to WalkTall, Amnesiano, Janet B and yours. Like all of you, my husband and I were serving whole-soul as JWs for decades. When I made up my mind to leave the organization after 43 years, I was dying inside and even if it meant dying at Armageddon (which I still believed was going to happen), losing my husband and family, and all my friends from around the world, I couldn't continue living a lie. For eight years I suffered in silence, smiling on the outside and crying on the inside.

Where my story is different from most is that my husband was in Bethel two different times, a Bethel elder, and an appointed servant for most of his life since he was 18 years old, and most of the time he presided. He was in full-time service for 25 years and while in Brooklyn was assembly overseer. He humbly lived and breathed being used by the WTS for 50 years. My story is on Freeminds.org, but I've never told about the emotional upheaval I went through when I slowly discovered that the religion I was with for 43 years was a total fraud. I couldn't figure how to get out of it and still have my family, my son, and most of all, leave with my marriage intact.

Leaving Bethel in 1993, after nearly 11 years, the meetings were torture for me to go to and I would go home literally physically sick. As a researcher for the Watch Tower, I came to know that so much that elders were instructed to say during the meetings was simply baloney.

In addition, I learned about the child abuse mess when I was in Bethel's Writing Department and no one in my personal world, other than my husband, knew anything about it. I've never before told how I was in fear of losing my life while at Bethel because the molestation stories that I heard from victims of child abuse were so frightening. Of course, when I look back now, I know that I wouldn't have been harmed by anyone, but at that time I just didn't know who was good or who was evil and my world was turned upside down.

Those were terrible days for me. I still believed that JWs were teaching Bible "truth" but that Satan had infiltrated the organization. That's what I was told by some senior writers. When I left Bethel, I still worked for the Writing Department for four more years doing research at home, and in that time discovered more and more things that upset me no end and I could tell no one. Many things happened to me that I won’t go into here as the revelations during 1996 through 1998 made it so difficult for me to have any joy at all. I was in contact with some Writing Dept. staff weekly and the information was so discouraging. Finally, one Sunday morning in early 1998, I couldn't stand living like I had been emotionally for one more day, and I told my husband that I'd had enough and would never have anything to do with the organization again. He respected me enough to respect my decision and so did my Witness mother and sister-in-law, although I lost our son and his family, and eventually, so did he.

Slowly I put together my life without all the other people I had loved and associated with even though I was not yet disfellowshipped. I went to college for two years on scholarship, took a part-time job, and started to secretly connect up with former JWs, many well-known to those on the board and told them my story. My husband remained a JW for four more years after I left and never in a million years did I think that he would leave what I came to call the "ole' boys club." We had some bad days, but he never gave a thought to leaving me. He told me after he left the organization that we had too many wonderful personal memories together and leaving was out of the question for him. But he did leave the Witnesses. My exit from the organization and the subsequent upheaval in our lives caused him to start to think deeply about everything that we called "truth." He finally left on his own volition and the rest is history! However, leaving WT was not easy, but it was worth all the sacrifice and loss.

We women who have posted on this thread can identify with you “sickandtired” because we suffered the same personal anguish that you are going through now, even though some circumstances were different. Don't give in; fight for your freedom and for your children's freedom. Doing so will bring so much future personal satisfaction and happiness. Life is an adventure and if you keep that hunger for real righteousness that you have now, you'll find it. The life we had as WT puppets was pure fantasy. Now we live with reality and it's not at all like what WT writers have convinced seven million good people that life outside of their constantly-changing religion is like.

We are with you in spirit and with tears in our eyes and an ache in our hearts for you and all like you who are enduring such emotional pain as you long to be free of Watch Tower’s oppression and lies. At this moment you may think that you are not oppressed, but when you taste of real freedom, you’ll understand!

Barbara Anderson

• sickandtired
    sickandtired

I've been busy, but wanted to take the time to thank all of you again. I sometimes wish that I could go back and not know all I know about the organization so that I wouldn't have to be in this mental anguish anymore...ignornance is bliss they say. It seems impossible to leave the organization unscathed. I'm not sure I can do it right now. I'm tired and haven't had much sleep. Maybe I can organize my thoughts a little better after I get some rest. Right now it's hard to picture my life as a non witness. My life is immersed in it. A lot of it has been good, but there has been this nagging feeling that I can no longer just shove in the back of my mind. I know in my heart of hearts that while there is good in this religion, there is unfortunately a lot of bad.

Barbara, thanks for your heartfelt reply to me. I read your story and it had a profound affect on me. I actually read it years ago when I had doubts that kept coming up. I searched the web and came across your story. I put it in the back of my mind and continued on doing what I was supposed to do as an elder's wife. Recently, my life has become more stressful and complicated for reasons that mainly have to do with my being a Witness. Something compelled me to start looking on the web again. I read your story again, more than once. I started visiting this forum. I haven't been able to stop. I can't seem to ignore these nagging doubts anymore. But I find myself excusing a lot of things I read that are negative. (probably because of years of indoctrination, I guess) One thing I always come back to though is the increasing emphasis placed on loyalty to the FDS and the organization. It REALLY bothers me that they focus on that so much. I cannot understand why other Witnesses don't seem to see anything wrong with that thinking.

I used to wonder how I got to be so lucky to be one of the few who had the "truth". Now I no longer think that. And I question everything. Something I never used to do. It's new and scary. It has caused me reevaluate everything that I thought I knew as truth and fact. All I can do is take it one day at a time and hope that my husband starts to wake up as well.

It's funny, I've read the references on this forum to the movie The Matrix. I agree with the analogy. I really liked that movie (saw it edited for television like a good Witness ha, ha). The funny thing is that my husband hated that movie. I'm trying not to read too much into that.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit