Association: Am i being lied to?

by roxanesophia 77 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
    sizemik
    What does "position himself in relation to that" mean? I get the establish connections part: they are already in the habit of needing to be in the know when it comes to who hangs out with who

As I said in that post . . .

Most MS's are "reaching out" (their term) to become Elders. Therefore their actions as seen by others, need to be politically in harmony with those aspirations. It may not be obvious at first, but their status is very important to many and is carefully protected.

"Who hangs out with who" is quite important to an MS who is striving to qualify as an Elder . . . the "bad association" within the congregation is one area that will be closely monitored by the current Elders when examining his qualifications . . . such a one needs to tread that much more carefully . . . that's all. Remember . . . this is a "high-control" cult. Everything is observed and noted.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

roxanesophia:

Your instincts are absolutely correct. They are telling you a "white lie". ANYBODY there who tells you that you can have friends outside the religion is lying through their teeth. They are afraid they are going to lose you and this is a desperate measure on their part. MAD SWEENEY's post is correct: they say "free" but what about the consequences? It is about control and the religion does not want anybody coming between them and you. They are like a jealous lover in a way (except there is no love on their part).

When I came into the religion, I kept some of my "worldly" friends for a few years after that. I was criticized by some "mature" people in the religion for doing that. They said I should get rid of them because they are "no good for me". They made it sound as if people in the religion were "holding back" from being my friend because of these so-called worldly associates of mine. (Nonsense, because nobody in the religion actually knew who I hung out with in my private life unless I told them).

In time I got rid of the "worldly" friends because they weren't good for me and the reasons had nothing to do with the JW religion. However, my life did not change one iota inside the religion. It is very hard to break into the cliques there and I didn't really desire to be friends with some of these people. Not to mention that I learned the hard way that I had to keep my mouth shut because everybody blabs about your business. I am a single woman and I was ostracized in some circles for several reasons. I work full-time, am outspoken and would not allow myself to be targeted by the users in the religion. They have no use for anybody they cannot exploit. I was also "panned" because of my figure. I dressed modestly but that didn't stop some people having serious issues. (When I think about it now, I am so glad to be free from all this garbage and, in truth, I stayed in this unhappy place far too long).

Good riddance!

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Here's something funny: i mentioned to a JW the other day that i was thinking of just giving up on religion and getitng on with my life career wise, looking for another job etc. Well a girl I've never met prior comes up to me at the hall and says her parent's company need a receptionist. Her JW parents of course. WHOA, talk about NOT SUBTLE AT ALL. I think if i take that job, i may as well be circling the drain. Knowing I'm in danger of quitting the study, now they're trying to put employment into the picture.

The JW's insulate each other.

The longer you are in the organisation, the more YOU become dependant on JW's for everything.

I know brothers who know it is not the truth but...

They work for a JW.

They rent a home from a JW.

They are married to a JW.

Their lives are a living nightmare.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Black Sheep: Oh i completely believe in Satan, just through people I know who dabbled in the occult, but everyone has their own beliefs. My point is they can use Satan to justify anything and they do.

All the more reason to get yourself some critical thinking skills, pronto.

• hybridous
    hybridous

I'll preface this with an apology, if it's out of line, but I feel that the question has been begged...

roxanesophia: What exactly is it you're looking for in life that you think these people might have? Any answers they claim to provide about anything at all is subjected to serious scrutiny on this very board. See for yourself if their canned answers hold up under fire.

Seriously, ask yourself, what they have to offer that you lack. Do you need other people to tell you how to run your life? What to think?

Take note of people born into this cult, who only offer their genuine experiences (without telling you what to do!). I personally know the 'dirty laundry' of 40-50% of a large Witness congregation, thanks to certain family connections. If you could just know the magnitude of the mental health problems these people have; the pills they throw down...

You would see these people in their fucked up, (mostly) self-inflicted misery and realize: they have nothing to offer.

If they had something great, wouldn't their lives be better? Wouldn't they be more prosperous? Happier?

Take some time and find out from yourself why you even travelled this far down a road that takes you nowhere. You're looking for something. Whatever you determine it to be - there is a better place to find it than from the Witnesses.

• roxanesophia
    roxanesophia

Everything is observed and noted - sizemik
    Thanks man for explaining everything i spent hours uselessly 'worrying' about - and that phrase alone is enough reason to leave, and will remind me in future why i did.

This cult has obviously given you something you don't want to walk away from. - dgp

You're spot on. At first I thought I was going to God. When that fell through, I stayed around for the morals and tried to justify continuing to study a false religion with "Well, they do read the bible." OH YES, THEIR CORRUPT BIBLE. I had already been sucked in by the teaching that the world was much worse than being in the organization. Basically everything that kept me in "the lie" was lies.

LongHairGal, i liked reading your story, getting to "good riddance" made me smile, i can sense how happy you were to get out. Really made me wonder why I'm still IN. Rest assured, I won't be for much longer.

Honesty, your post confirms what I suspected. I bet these brothers exist in my congregation. They're literally stuck... and screwed.

Thanks, hybridous, your post means alot because you just spoke from MY heart. I was looking for something, and i haven't found it.

I actually got invited out by the in crowd tonight and it's like the invite was accidentally sent. Such a horrible night, and i knew it would be before i went, but i had to go to confirm to myself that the jesus I pray to (that would be the right one, not the Watchtower one) is telling me it's time to go. I won't go into the pathetic details, but let's just say i saw firsthand how mean and vindictive witnesses are outside the hall. Oh, there was a lot of fake hugging, and "hiiii's" but then there were the whispers and the looks, and just anything else they could do to make it obvious that even though i was invited by someone in the clique, it was no group decision. Part of me wanted to fall to pieces, but another part wanted to hold my head high and tell them they can go to the hell they don't believe in. The only part of the night where I felt human was when i was leaving and a table of worldly (seriously, fuck that word, forever) guys said bye, but it was really just "Welcome back."

Got home and lost it. Not because of how I was treated, but because I'm done with this bullshit. Whatever kept me there, what ever illusions i was enticed by, were destroyed. And just to let me know he's still there, ironically, the first song that came up on the iPod was the Killers "When You Were Young" and the lyric goes "He doesn't look a thing like Jesus." and i relate that to the witnesses themselves and their false Jesus.
    It ended up being a good night.

• cantleave
    cantleave

You may never find the ideal, but enjoy walking the path whilst seeking it.

Before you finally say "goodbye" to the witnesses, get you your study conductor and other thinking a bit!

• Red Piller
    Red Piller

Ask your study conductor. When Adam was asked by the Serpent "Is it true that you can't eat from every tree in the garden?", was he being technically truthful? He was.

But the phrasing neglected to mention that it was only one tree that was off limits. He made it sound more restrictive than it was. So when you tell me, I can associate with my non-jw friends - are you being technically truthful - but not revealing the whole truth on the matter?

45+, been (still) in this cult my whole life. She is lying. I have 2 sets of friends. JW and non-jw. I always look over my shoulder every time I go to a movie or a restaurant. I hate it.....

Give her a scenario, you are asked to go out for a drink by your co-workers. Then, some sisters show up in the same spot. Would anyone look cross-eyed at you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit