"Overlapping generation" explanation - TRANSCRIBED EXTRACT from Friday's talk (DC 2011-12)

by AnnOMaly 149 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Group 1 of this generation discerned the sign of Christ's presence in 1914. But they weren't merely born in 1914 nor merely alive to witness the start of Christ's presence. They were spirit-anointed in or before 1914.

First off, I can't believe they brought up the "overlapping" BS after it went over like a lead-balloon last year. They should shut up about that garbage lest they wake up more of the flock.

When I first read this I though "Who in the hell would they be talking about that was anointed before 1914," I mean Rutherford died in the 40's. That would mean all of the overlappers died with Barr and Teddy. But sir82 mentioned Franz, who died in 1992.

So the WT should change the talk to say overlaps with Freddy, because he literally is the only one that I can think of that was supposedly "anointed" before 1914, and now is tied to this GB. Pretty amazing, the one and only Fred Franz is the one and only incredible link the bible points to for calculating the end of this wicked system of things!

Gawd these fools will go to any length to prop up their "mentally diseased" 1914 doctrine.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Overlapping generation doctrine is absolutely crazy. It can be briefly summed up as;

'when Jesus said "this generation will be no means pass away", what he actually meant was "do some maths using your own interpretation of Daniel , pick a year using the pyramid of Giza and count backward. Then apply the Daniel maths and count forward. In the year you end up with I'll return invisibly, and rapture the anointed, but only those who are dead already. The lives of the alive anointed in 1914 will overlap with other anointed until Armageddon comes, at which point I may or may not rapture the remaing anointed. I may wait until they die naturally in or just after the great tribulation and Armageddon."'

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

So if someone is 80 years old, and they've been serving this organization for 40, 50, 60 years of their life in expectation that the end is right around the corner, and now they've been told they've got another 45 to 50 years to go depending on how young the youngest of this generation's contemporaries is.........wow that just hurts. That's a low blow man. By the way, can there be contemporaries of contemporaries?

• Sapphy
    Sapphy
    can there be contemporaries of contemporaries?

There can be anything the society wants. It's their game and they can change the rules whenever they want to.

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

The witnesses have been very consistent in ALWAYS saying the end is coming tomorrow, so be ready!!

Instead of loosing the reins a little, they hold dear this dogmatic view. This works GREAT with new converts (I gotta get baptized before the end comes), but it tires out long-time J-Dubs.

This is the reason for encouraging so many to learn a foreign language and expand their ministry; otherwise the typical witness would get bored with the flawed/false reasonings and leave in droves.

Thanks for posting, great notes!!

• unshackled
    unshackled

This is staggeringly stupid. Nobody outside of the WTBS considers a generation to span ages of up to 40 years. My father is a baby boomer, he is 27 years older than me....does that make me a baby boomer? Is he part of Generation X?

I spend far too much time wondering (to no avail) how people can be so blind. It's disturbing really. And it's not just JWs. Really, think about it: is believing in this generation explanation thing all that more whacked-out as believing in talking snakes, global flood or a god impregnating a human? We're screwed.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/generation.php

An interesting overview of how generation was applied by the WTS over the years.

• No Room For George
    No Room For George

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/generation.php

An interesting overview of how generation was applied by the WTS over the years.

Craziness!!! So how is it "Truth" if the definition has to be continually altered? LOL What the heck?!?!?!

• stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement

I wish they could explain this "new light" in a simplified form.

• Sapphy
    Sapphy

Unshackled

My father is a baby boomer, he is 27 years older than me....does that make me a baby boomer? Is he part of Generation X?

It's worse than that.

My great grandfather was born during the lifetime of Queen Victoria. My life overlapped with my great grandfathers. This means I could be classed as part of the Victorian Generation.

The word 'generation' has ceased to have any real meaning in WT language now, although they will pretend the new understanding means armageddon will be here any minute now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit