my life... well the first part at least

by Found Sheep 134 Replies latest members private

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

My coming out

Well not really I think I said the big things about my life.

Now that I am reaching 1,000 posts I thought I would do a quick blurb of my life.

To start with born 1975 to two hippy parents. This landed me the name Raveen. I was blessed with an older brother, two years older then me. The first 4 years of my life my brother and I were tossed about between parents. Oh the good old days… My brother and I had our own language. I didn’t talk to the adults I spoke to my brother and he translated. When I was 4 I ended up in California with Mom and My brother was in NY with Dad. 1980 was the year my Dad got sucked into JW life. Within 6 months he was baptized. He still drank as an alcoholic but I guess lots of JW’s are. Mom decided to get re-married and I guess I was in the way so she drove across the state to “visit” my Brother that I haven‘t seen in two years. My visit was my new home. I didn’t even know who my Dad was. More then once I walked off with other men at stores…

From this day onward the changes began. No holidays, birthdays, can’t solute the flag. My Dad didn’t explain anything just did “Jehovah would be happy with you if you follow all these new rules.” The congregation took us in. We basically became family with a few JW”s. They baby sat us, took care of us. Some really good people. My Dad continued to drink, and so we raised ourselves when at home. We had no rules. We stayed out as long as we wanted, ate what we wanted…. I was falling behind in school. I couldn’t read until I was 12. My brother was a bit “smarter” then me so the lack of parental assistance didn’t effect him as much. (but he’s still a JW so maybe it did)

Dad got sober in 1987. You may say that’s great, and in some ways it was. He went from “major neglect dad” to supper zealous JW dad over night. If we came home five minutes late we were punished. He was in our faces all the time. We had no privacy. He even took the door of my bedroom because he didn’t trust what I was doing. We fought all the time. Being a good JW though we both got baptized and aug-pioneered during summer months. We had to be at the meetings 20 min early and stay after, even if we had hours of homework to do.

Enough for now....

• unshackled
    unshackled

Always interesting to hear everyone's story, and what brought them into the world of JWs. Thanks.

To start with born 1975 to two hippy parents. This landed me the name Raveen.

I was wondering about the name Raveen and where it came from. Well, there it is...hippies! Sooo...when do we get the second half of the story - the JW husband and your escape from the Borg?

• cult classic
    cult classic

Thanks for sharing Raveen. Looking forward to next installment.

• happyexjw
    happyexjw

Nice to meet you Raveen, thank you for sharing your story, I look forward to hearing your next installment.

Happyexjw

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

Thanks for sharing the beginning of your story! Looking forward to the rest!

• Quandry
    Quandry

Very interesting beginning, can't wait to read further.

• d
    d

That is a good story.Very inspiring

• watson
    watson

A lot of "hippie" folk came in around the early and mid 70's. It always got the "friends" excited.

• watson
    watson

Oh...nice to know ya, Raveen.

• dgp
    dgp

Thanks for sharing, Raveen. Interesting story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit