A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

If there is nothing special or unique about us and we are no more than mere flukes of evolution, why do we have issues with suffering? fairness? why do we differenciate between is and ought? why do we seek WHY when HOW is more than good enough? why do we imagine? why do we KNOW we exist other than just existing?

Pika answered well, but I think there's a point of understanding that is in order. We are not mere flukes of evolution, because the mechanism of evolution, natural selection, is not a process of chance. It is precisely the opposite. Chance does not enter into it once you get past abiogenesis.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Pika answered well, but I think there's a point of understanding that is in order. We are not mere flukes of evolution, because the mechanism of evolution, natural selection, is not a process of chance. It is precisely the opposite. Chance does not enter into it once you get past abiogenesis.

Abiogenesis is NOT a proven fact or even a scientific theory.

But It is a very interesting theory.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Abiogenesis is NOT a proven fact or even a scientific theory.

The same thing may be said about Creation, except that it makes less sense than abiogenesis.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

Man's advancement of his own developed intelligence has grown to the extent that we now believe in Gods.

Before Homo Sapiens they were no perceived gods.

DAM evolution

• unshackled
    unshackled

We are not mere flukes of evolution, because the mechanism of evolution, natural selection, is not a process of chance. It is precisely the opposite. Chance does not enter into it once you get past abiogenesis.

This is true. Side note: not intended to divert the subject...but when you consider the mass extinctions that have taken place on our planet we can be considered LUCKY to have evolved to this point. Take the dinosaurs for instance...they ruled the earth and we never would have come along if they weren't wiped out, possibly from a huge meteorite. Small rodents - mammals - survived this event and hence life continued to evolve from then on....eventually us.

Incredible really. Now back to regular scheduled programming.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Take the dinosaurs for instance...they ruled the earth and we never would have come along if they weren't wiped out, possibly from a huge meteorite.

That was chance. Chance doesn't cause evolution, it sets it back, and then the new conditions it brings about changes the environmental reality and evolution adjusts to it by selecting for the new environment.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The same thing may be said about Creation, except that it makes less sense than abiogenesis.

From what I have read, limited I admit, I disagree, but that is the cool thing about this, we are free to disagree or agree and bask in the sheer awesomeness of my awesomeness :)

• unshackled
    unshackled

Yeah Nickolas...I wasn't disputing anything you said. Agreed, chance doesn't cause evolution. That's why I called it a side note, just an interesting event in our evolutionary history.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Oh, the limitations of text communication .... yeah, we're completely on the same page, unshackled.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

we are free to disagree or agree and bask in the sheer awesomeness of my awesomeness :)

sheer something, anyway :p~~~~~~~~~

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit