A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• sabastious
    sabastious
    What do you mean by "more evolved"? Please be careful to avoid the old Victorian image of the great chain of being with white male humans at the top. A tapeworm could not possibly be any better evolved to exploit its environment

Where will tapeworms be 100,000 years from now? Where were we 100,000 years ago? Why does evolution seem slow for many, but extremely fast for us?

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

By the way do you just cut through my rhetoric like thick high grass, or do you actually give it some thought?

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

Surly the data supports a "chosen ape" to be granted the gift of higher intelligence.

What data would that be?

Imagine this thought experiment. Picture a girl holding the hand of her mother who holds in turn her mother's hand and so on all the way back through thousands of generations. As you walk along the line you would not be able to see any difference in appearance or intelligence from generation to generation.

Thre was no magic moment when any hominid was "gifted" a soul or a capacity to love or a spirit or a higher intelligence.

• cofty
    cofty

By the way do you just cut through my rhetoric like thick high grass, or do you actually give it some thought?

I give it plenty thought but I don't want to waste time trying to answer what I think you meant. Rhetoric is fine but only if your post also makes your point clear.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    Thre was no magic moment when any hominid was "gifted" a soul or a capacity to love or a spirit or a higher intelligence.

According to the fossil record there was at the Great Leap Forward.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    I give it plenty thought but I don't want to waste time trying to answer what I think you meant. Rhetoric is fine but only if your post also makes your point clear.

You are describing the balance I strive to attain with my posts.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

According to some anthopologists.

• sabastious
    sabastious

I guess Behavioral modernity would be a good way to describe the difference I see between myself and the animals.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious
    According to some anthopologists.

It's illogical to say that we were 100% gradual. 100% gradual = order and if you look out your window you don't see much of that going on. Sometimes we see the appearence of order (and from a wide perspective there probably is order), but in our reality (our perspective) there is chance. Chance should provide "spikes" that's what chance does.

Roll a die 5,000 times and you are going to have some times where you roll 10+ heads in a row.

-Sab

• cofty
    cofty

Sab I think you are arguing over things nobody else is saying. Got to go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit