A few Dawkins quotes to think about.

by AK - Jeff 328 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

What is interesting is the absolute certainty with which people in this thread end the assertion "God is ____". How does one know these things?

It's been a lively, for the most part intelligent, discussion, but the thread after 11 pages could be subtitled "Practical examples of cognitive dissonance." Of course, we think its the other guy who's refusing to see the light, not us.

• sabastious
    sabastious

Woot! Nick is here and he's bringing along the voice of reason.

-Sab

• sabastious
    sabastious

Unfortunately I have to get back to work. It's been enlightening speaking with you guys.

-Sab

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Sabastious: "We're here all week." See you later.

• AGuest
    AGuest

A very interesting thread (peace to you all!), and so I did my usual tome. And then I thought, "Ahhh, what does it matter? I have things to do and "they" won't get it anyway"... and so deleted it.

And then my Lord said to me (just before I clicked "Log Off"):

"Doesn't love often come OUT of suffering, child? Isn't it suffering that often evokes love from those who otherwise don't/might not show it? Even in times of great suffering, isn't it love that prompts eventhe one suffering to look past it? For example, one is suffers greatly when having lost a loved one... yet, they are able to move past and give that loved ones eyes for sight to another. Doesn't love prompt one, who has much, to give to one who is suffering as a result of having less, even nothing?

"If the entire world was well and full and warm and safe, where would the NEED for the expression of love arise? How would people KNOW love? And what need would there be for love? What could I give you that you wouldn't already have... or do for you that you couldn't do for yourself... to show my love? What could you give or do for me?

"That is why I am teaching YOU love NOW; not so that you know how to show love... but so you will BECOME love. Not only in deed, but in THOUGHT. Because the day IS coming when there will be no more suffering. At that time you will know love... just as you know ME. Then, you will not require the sufferings of others... as the world does NOW... to show it. Because you will BE it. As I am it. As the Father is it. It will be as much a part of you as your breath is a part of you now.

"Because that is what will be required in my holy mountain: that all those who reside there BECOME love... not just speak of it... or display it when circumstances call for it... or guilt prompts it... as it is with man now. There will be no such circumstances... or guilt. Nothing to evoke love.

"Because absent of that the world would be as it is now, and have what it has now, even more than love: hate. Born of jealousies, greed, hypocrisy, and things like these. Unless ALL are love, someone will again manifest hate, at some point, for some reason. Because that is what is IN man, his "nature". But you have been given a NEW nature, one from above, and one through which I will teach you to overcome it... so that it is no longer IN you and so NO PART of you.

Stand firm, then, child, and you will see it. In the meantime, do not equate kindness with love... because many who DO are misled. Love IS kind... but not always. Yet, kindness... is not necessarily love... but sometimes masquerades as love. They are NOT the same thing. You must learn BOTH."

In light of this... although I cannot see him empirically (and although some of you say He doesn't exist)... I totally get what my Lord said to me, what I HEARD him say me... and so MY faith remains in him. And in his existence... and His God's. In spite of the "science" that [purports to say] otherwise.

Again, I bid you peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA

P.S. Does "every" animal die via disease, predation, infection, etc.? Don't some (most) die naturally... or at the hands of human? And isn't it interesting that animals tend to always get out of the way of /survive natural disasters? And, finally, if the final survivor(s) have the biggest guns, who's going to save them from themselves? I mean, what's the point in "winning"... if there's no one left to brag about it to??? Peace!

• cofty
    cofty

Does "every" animal die via disease, predation, infection, etc.?

Yes

Don't some (most) die naturally

No

So the suffering of millions is a gift from your god so we get the chance to show love? Now I remember how good it feels to no longer have to engage in this sort of mental gymnastics.

Next time yehusha whatshisname pops by for a chat tell him Cofty says he is a shit

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Ah, JWN's Leo Tolstoi. I enjoy your posts, Shelby You obviously put a great deal of thought and care into each and every one and they are always enlightening. From all the available evidence, suffering is a human condition that has been around since time immemorial. We have no record, written on paper or otherwise in stone, to the contrary. Suffering in the world has always been so great, so incomprehensible, that the more we perceive it the heavier a burden it becomes. When you include suffering endured by sub-human species, the burden becomes exponentially greater. Fact is we fat cats don't have a clue. We, theist and atheist alike, here sit in our comfortable chairs in our comfortable houses after having filled our bellies with the quality and quantity of food 90% of the rest of humanity could only hope to have and we make comment on suffering in the world. One consolation is the world is slowly getting better. Medicine has replaced medicine men and there aren't all that many mass starvations happening anymore. But no matter how you dress it up, suffering is suffering and it has absolutely no redeeming qualities.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Did that sound a little overly-righteous? Sorry. I'm just in a good mood after having finished an extraordinary shiraz over a thick, medium rare blackened prime ribeye, smothered in mushrooms and fried onions with mashed potatoes and salad on the side, and then I'm reading about suffering and why it's kinda ok. Context. Carry on.

• cofty
    cofty

Don't feel bad Nickolas god is using all the starving children to teach you love - see how much you have grown today?

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Yes, cofty, I do. Thank you so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit