I dont like using "their" name for God

by jean-luc picard 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Mat
    Mat

What I'm saying is that Jehovah (rather than Yahweh) is a transliteration that harmonises with how all the other Hebrew names are transliterated in the bible. For some reason, scholars who normally use the hard J sound for proper names with the Hebrew "Yod", and the V sound when it comes to the Hebrew letter "Waw", insist on saying "Yahweh" when it comes to "God's name". I'm saying this is unjustifiably inconsistent.

Now the vowels. You don't know whether it had the same vowels as Adonai or not. No one does. So, saying "we KNOW they were add[ed] from ANOTHER WORD that has NOTHING to do with the name" is totaly untrue.

Now I will agree that is is most likely not how the word originally sounded. But that to me is not a problem. I don't worship the tyrannical, bloodthirsty, intolerant fictional character anyway. I'm sure it matters to you who think it is all true, but I don't.

Has it occurred to you that people may have pronounced it differently in the day anyway? Regional accents an all? The god Odin is sometimes Woden, or even Wotan. I think there is room for diferent pronunciations for the Hebrew God.

But I speak English, and I have no problem with the established transliteration of what you call "God's name".

Interesing article here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

i find it real hard to use too.

just rubs me the wrong way and sounds sort of 'fake'

oz

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

The dubbies can have their Jehovah.

I think it's a stoopid name.

• wobble
    wobble

The scholars of the jewish Encyclopaedia say thet "jehovah" is a "philological impossiblity",

But, Mat, translation and pronunciation aside, why do you insist that God has "a" "proper name".

The scriptures give us many "names" for God. Why should one be used exclusively ?

These names tell us about God, they are not there as methods of addressing Him.

Surely the Jewish people were right when they treated the tetragrammaton as ineffable, from about the 3rd Cent. B.C

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    So, saying "we KNOW they were add[ed] from ANOTHER WORD that has NOTHING to do with the name" is totaly untrue.

We KNOW it to be true because THAT was what was done by those who DID it.

Look dude, if you want to use Jehovah, knocj yourself out, but don't try bloqing sunshine up anyones butt by bullshittng and saying that is the true name of God or that it is a transliteration of YHWH because it isn't, period.

The Wt admits that it isn't, the oldest documents we have SHOW that it isn't, the people who combined YHWH with ADONAI never hide that is what they did.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

I use Zeus. Same concept, really!

Skeeter

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I now refer to 'the god of the watchtower'. To me the name 'Jehovah' TM is just their 'brand' name for god. (A bit like Coca Cola being 'the real thing'). They use it to lock victims in to their 'brand loyalty'.

Everything about the WTB$ is just business practice. IE. No beards or no trousers for sisters = dress code for an army of sales people who promote the 'brand'.

Also, if 'Jehovah'TM is god's name and he is our 'father', then why use it? I never called my Dad by his first name it's totally disrespectful.

They simply promote the 'brand' for their business!

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

It's amazing how many words the wtbs has commandeered for their own nefarious purposes.

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

Say the word "hallelujah" please.

What does the "J" sound like?

THAT is the sound the proper name of the bronze-age Canaanite god should begin with. Yod translates as an "I" retaining the "Y" sound in English. The "J" began as a hooked-I that STILL was pronounced as an y-like "I" and only came to be pronounced with the modern "J" sound later.

http://jbq.jewishbible.org/assets/Uploads/334/334_Stuhlma4.pdf

I'd like to go back to a statement Mat made on page 2 of the thread and ask a question. Why is Yahweh a worse translation than Jehovah?

• Mat
    Mat

Wobble, "proper name" is an expression that refers to actual names of things as opposed to a "common noun" (such as God or Lord which are titles.) Check the link. That it is used as a proper name makes it one- whether the character is ficional or not. It is a grammatical expresion.

PSacramento, you really are irked by my posts arn't you? You really take them personally. Is it because someone is pointing out that your facts are wrong and you don't like it? You said:

We KNOW it to be true because THAT was what was done by those who DID it.

We don't know that was why it has those vowels as a matter of fact. It is a theory, and in actual fact it does not have exactly the same vowel points as Adonai. See the link in my last post. What is more I don't belieave in this God whatever he is called because I am an atheist. He doesn't have a "true name" because he does not exist!

However, I am arguing that Jehovah is the established English word for "God's name". Note the quotation marks. Since I don't belieave in him I don't actually think he has a name. However, Just because the JW's use that name alot does not make it theirs to own. You are acting like it is their copyright, and that is what I am arguing against!

I await your childish, misinformed, insulting and poorly reserched highly emotive retort, because I don't expect any better of you any more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit