I dont like using "their" name for God

by jean-luc picard 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WontLeave
    WontLeave

At least they didnt adopt the burning at the stake doctrine as well.

They did; they're just waiting for the Great Tribulation, when government power crumbles, to use it with impunity. DFing, "marking", "public reproof", back-room mock trials, etc. are all the precursors. When the governments stopped supporting the Catholic Church in their Inquisitions and actually stood in the way, they stopped. The Salem witch trials are an indication of what happens without a stable government to intercede on behalf of the individual. You can look at what goes in the Middle East for a snapshot of things to come, from "God's organization".

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

oh, i love to use it when having religious (or actually: anti-religious) discussions with neighbours or other "worldly" people. when talking about jehofers law for women to drink dirty water if their husband suspects she was unfaithful for example. or jehofer being jealous - i mean, really, really jealous.

• jair_irwin
    jair_irwin

What about "Allah"?

• clarity
    clarity

I counted how many times the name was used during a prayer ... 12 times!

Do they think that after the 1st time, we forget it's a prayer to jehovah? Who else is there at a kingdom hall? Maybe highest name dropper wins!

Imagine if someone kept saying your name over & over within a 3 minute conversation. You'd think they were nuts or suckin up for something!

I grit my teeth in the rare event of having to use it!

c

• wiser
    wiser

It offends me that they use his name. If God is your father why can't you respect him enough by not calling him by name. Do you address your earthly parents by name?

• Honesty
    Honesty

When the JW's make their rare once every two year appearance on my dead-end street I avoid using their name for God and talk about Jesus.

They usually take their leave within a minute or two, although one male JW did stay for about 5 minutes.

His partner left as soon as I started talking about how Jesus paid for every one of my sins against God and humanity.

Then I told him that some dudes from Jerusalem showed up in Antioch in the first century and demanded the Christians follow their unreasonable rules (Acts 15:1) so the Antioch church sent some representatives up to Jerusalem to see what all the fuss was about and that is the way it should be done today when a select group of religious leaders start making unreasonable demands on other Christians.

He ran like a rabbit.

• tec
    tec
    They usually take their leave within a minute or two although one male JW did stay for about 5 minutes until I told him that some dudes from Jerusalem showed up in Antioch in the first century and demanded the Christians follow their unreasonable rules (Acts 15:1) so the Antioch church sent some representatives up to Jerusalem to see what all the fuss was about and that is the way it should be done today when a select group of religious leaders start making unreasonable demands on other Christians.

Awesome.

Tammy

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

I always think it is laughable when people pray to Jehovah. He is just a mythical god, like Zeus or Apollo. The ancient Israelites wanted a reason to explain why their little kingdom was defeated by the great empires that surrounded them, so they chose to believe it was God's will. There is absolutely no evidence that Jehovah ever existed, or that the Israelites were his chosen people. I think Jehovah and God are two entirely different things.

• Mat
  • Retrovirus
    Retrovirus

Not saying "Jehovah" was one of the main things that brought my "bible" studies to an end. At first they were quite tolerant when I substituted "God". Then the sighs and stony looks. I tried "Yahweh" instead, they had initially said that it was allowed. OK for a month or two, then more stony looks. But no way could I bring myself to say it.

Finally I was clearly told that since "Jehovah" was the most popular pronounciation in English, it must be approved by God. I asked how you could rely on worldly popularity if as they said the world was controlled by Satan. Didn't play well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit