I dont like using "their" name for God

by jean-luc picard 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• wobble
    wobble

I agree with your argument immediately above Mat, that it should not have been hijacked by the JW's.

And I think you touch on a good reason why most Christian denominations do not use it, they are not that used to it, most translations almost leave it out completely, but there is a reluctance to get the christian God too firmly linked to the God of the early Old Testament.

As to saying the word, if you were appearing on a serious T.V show with emminent Bible Scholars, I think you would hesitiate to sound as ignorant as the average JW,by simply using that name for God, and would say something like, " Jehovah, the Yaweh of the Israelites..... "

Thanks for pointing out what a proper name is, but my point was that YHWH has always been more than that, even in that early usage in Exodus, it was not for the Israelites benefit so that they could use it in a liturgical way, as a word to address God by.

As it was connected etymologically to what God "is" in a number of ways, much of his Eternal Godship being contained in the Name, the Israelites would naturally think of its meaning, and hence it was natural that they grew to view it as ineffable.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    PScumbag

Classy

You wiki link has no citations and yet I can point you to quite A LOT of offical scholars and their works including the likes od Metzger and Wright, that will show you evidence that Jehovah is a combination of YHWH and Adonai, not to mention the works of the actual person who frist USED it and the works of prety much every group that uses the term AND ADMITS its origins.

But, alas...I must agree with Outlaw.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

mat got some point here. visiting a few latin american countries was a real eye opener for me, when still being active in THE TRUTH. jehová here, jehová there, every bus had jehová printed all over it. i even got preached to on the streets, house-to-house whatever. that's where i saw that THE TRUTH was just another religion among thousands.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

J.Hofer.

The popularity of a term doesn't make is correct.

EX: Ain't, Gonna, fachezillmynizzel ;)

• designs
    designs

The last ten years I was in the Org. I just liked using 'Father'.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    The last ten years I was in the Org. I just liked using 'Father'.

BLASPHEMER !!!!

You sure it wasn't Fothir?

• designs
    designs

'Fothir' is that Kurdish or Punjabi...............

• undercover
    undercover

If God, whatever the hell his name is, really, truly, wanted us to us his name, don't you think he would have found a way to let us know what the fuck it is? Fact is, no one knows how it was prounounced. Either God doesn't care, he's busy with some new planet of beings somewhere or he doesn't exist.

That's what bugs me about the Divine Name brochure. They extol the importance of using God's name but then admit, well, we don't exactly know what it is. But that's not important. What's important is that we use a name for God. So, this one might be wrong, but hey, it's close enough. Again, if God wanted us to us his proper name, it wouldn't have been lost.

Personally I don't like Jehovah. Too Hebrewey... I like Humphrey... I think I'll call God Humphrey.

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

i call her monica belucci

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Whenever I see Monica I always think "My God", so I agree with J.Hofer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit