Do You Blame Your Current Life's Issues Because You Were A JW?

by minimus 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

Yes, I do blame a substantial part of my problems to my having been a JW. Moralising about one being in charge of his life fails to take into account that many people cannot necessarily heal well from any type of wound. It doesn't really count for too much "that nobody twisted my arm" especially if you were young when you joined. It's like a mild version of telling a pedophile victim to get it over with.

Undercover:"Conversely, can you attribute any success in your current life to having been a JW?"

I have developed a finely honed crap detector that can smell the slightest whiff from miles away.

• Terra Incognita
    Terra Incognita

JonathanH:"(I will be a window washer no more)"

How much do window washers get paid?

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

This is probably contrary to the thoughts posted by most here, but I think my life may be better in many ways as a result of the influence of the WT. Most non-JW friends and family got involved in things that brought unnecessary misery in their lives. I truly do think I was spared much of that. Still, the emphasis on "The End" being always so imminent without doubt kept me from pursuing higher education and seeking out longer term financial investment thinking. Who of this "generation" (NOT the overlapping one) thought they would ever face retirement age and Social Security? It also caused me to put foolish trust and faith into some individuals not deserving, based on the idea that they were "Christians/Brothers".

• the_raisin
    the_raisin

DesirousofChange- Hey, I agree with you!! Being a JW, it definitely saved me some uneccessary problems. Although it exacerbated many underlying issues I would've have developed sooner or later, it did prevent a lot of problems, especially when you're a teenager. It's not like I didn't like to go out, but it helped me choose my friends carefully, and to a certain extent, it did curve a lot of temptations (like, having sex with as many guys as you could. I wasn't a prude, but being a JW it made me think twice about sleeping around or drinking like the end was coming).

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

No, I refuse to let my experience as a JW define who I am. It is certainly one if many components that make up my life, but it doesn't have to be front and center. I think most things that people might give credit or blame to the JWs - when it comes to me - would have been a part of me whether I'd been a JW or not.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The witlesses did make my current issues worse, but Jehovah himself caused them in the first place. Which is why I got scammed into becoming a witless in the first place.

• Thetis
    Thetis

Yes, I do now and my therapist does. Initially I would never admit this as it would "bring reproach on the Organization".

My Mother just recently apologized for her not being there for me as a child. She had a nervous breakdown when I was very young. I told her that had they not been JW's, at least we could have had some normal interaction with the world - at least a refuge for us. JW Org is a destroyer of dreams and goals in my opinion.

Of course I am bitter, although I have realized that this bitterness was destroying me. And why give them that satisfaction.

Although you cannot look back, the difficulty is always being on the back foot. How do you make up those lost years? You are always behind in everything, as you have to retrain your mind first before you can take a step forward. To be an onlooker in life, isn't easy. Hell, I'm even to scared to get too close to most people, this being the reason for my hit and runs on this forum....chuckle...for which I apologize.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Everyday, I blame my problems and what I have to go through in dealing with them on the Jw's.

And my mother for making me be a Jw.

And my father for allowing it.

I'm 58, it dont go away, it doesnt get better.

I even take medicine for it.

It doesnt really work.

Sometimes on the weekend, like right now I can drink enough ice house to forget about the tower for a few hours.

But then I wake up and it starts all over again.

I had the money to go to college, my father blew it on a new sportscar for me because my mother and the elders

told him that the world was going to end before I would finish college. 1975. I graduated in 1971.

MY sportscar got totalled parked on the street at the Tuesday night book study.

The money was an inheritance from my worldly grandparents to go to college with.

I'll never have enough and I will always blame the watchtower for my lack, till the day I die.

• oompa
    oompa

sorry jag...but at least you got a probably cool sports car!....what was it?...............oomps

• manthedan
    manthedan

recently I have been blaming my JW upbringing for some of the problems I have. I feel like I devoted all my time and energy trying to live what I thought was the best way... i skipped out on college thinking if I put JW first he would bless my efforts. Like some I found the love of my life being a JW so I am happy about that. I could have devoted my past time to work and learning and might have been comfortable today. Well if I got one thing going for me right now its my age, am still young (mid twenties), so I have some goog time to try and catch up with everybody else.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit