Do You Blame Your Current Life's Issues Because You Were A JW?

by minimus 63 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

OUTLAW...

Crown Royal Reserve or XR is better served straight up...maybe an ice cube. I prefer to mix plain ole regular Crown

• oompa
    oompa

yes in many ways...but it could be way worse...i could have been a woman born in any number of hardcore islamic countries....they did not really have a choice either....i mean jw rules are endless and ya you can get cut off and shunned.....but some of those countries cut off body parts, stone people to death, and treat animals far better than the women there.....so sad.........................................................................oompa

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey UC..

Your entitled to drink CR how ever you see fit..

LOL!!..

I`m a Rabble Rousing,Whiskey Drinking,Elitist..

................. ...OUTLAW

• unshackled
    unshackled

Great...

Not so great...

• watersprout
    watersprout

No i don't... Your life is what you make it...Yes i could blame the WT for the way my life was, but I changed my thinking. It took 14 years of therapy and i have come out the other side. I refused to let the WT take anymore of my life. It took a chunk but it ain't taking the rest.

The future hasn't been written yet, and i am making sure my future will be rosy and bright.

Peace

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I used to, but then who's to say that i wouldn't have had problems if my life had gone in another direction.

I remember discussing the fact i didn't take higher education due to being a JW with another recovered alcoholic. This guy is a very intelligent guy, went to grammar school as a kid, very studious, never went to higher education himself and now works as a tiler. He said he could relate to me not going to university because he didn't go as he thought the world was going to be destroyed by a nuclear bomb, so why bother. In his teens the nuclear arms race was at it's strongest, so he never bothered going to uni, thinking it would be a waste of time.

It really got me thinking, that there could always have been other reasons for my life not going in the direction that i wanted.

What matters now is the here and now, and where i want to be in the future. It's futile looking back, even non-ex jw's have made mistakes, we all do, at some point we all wish our life was better.

Speaking personally, i had to accept that what has happened in the past has already happened, there's no point dwelling on it, no point wondering what if, no point wondering why....just accept that it's happened and look forward.

• ambersun
    ambersun

Well, there is the small issue of the fact that I am approaching retirement age with just a basic state pension to look forward to, having had no career as a direct result of this:

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***
    If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold:'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers. So the answer, plain and simple, is yes, but I have still managed to have a happy life with my family so I suppose it's not that much of a big deal really compared to the sufferings going on in the world.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

In all honesty, I don't but maybe that is because I wasn't raised a JW.

However, I did go through a bad time during the first few years of my "fade" but I got over that. I had problems over what to do with myself and how to fill the void. I reconnected with relatives and made a new friend or two. I don't know if I would have done more career-wise as I am not really ambitious but maybe I would have saved more. Now and then a bad memory and residual anger comes up but it doesn't bother me like it did in the first few years.

I don't even care when I see them in public. I suppose I have moved on.

• JonathanH
    JonathanH

Yes, but I'm fixing them now. I have little formal education, and no friends or family (aside from my wife and dog). However I am working to rectify the first one, as well as change my career (I will be a window washer no more), and in doing so I hope I will remedy the second problem. They may have handicapped the beginning of my life, but nothing prevents me from fixing the rest of my life.

• minimus
    minimus

We were (some of us) a backwards bunch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit