Sometimes You Just Gotta Score One For the Cult Members

by PublishingCult 67 Replies latest jw friends

• godrulz
    godrulz

My grandmother prayed for me and we would read Scripture together. The preaching of the gospel at a church/camp (cf. Day of Pentecost) was the key since faith comes by hearing the Word. The Holy Spirit did the work, not indoctrination, not grannie. Jesus influenced people to faith in Him as did Paul, Peter, John, etc. The foolishness of preaching is the power of God for those who are being saved, but the scoffers/mockers, those who are perishing think it is foolishness. God knows more than you do (Rom. 1:16; I Cor. 1:18).

• Millions
    Millions

Mixed emotions over this clip - the antagonist is just on a power trip like most fanatical evangelical christians, making himself feel good about hounding some mild mannered older witnesses. So he is clearly a major a-hole.

I did like the way he refuted the sister's classic illogical comment along the lines of '7 million dubs can't be wrong'.

In the final analysis though, it makes me want to dig out an old suit, dust off the bookbag, walk down that guy's street, and then see the look on his face when he starts on me and he gets a full-on verbal assault right back, no holds barred. Problem is I would more than likely punch his lights out after about ten seconds, so maybe I had better keep that idea on ice.

• PublishingCult
    PublishingCult
    My grandmother prayed for me and we would read Scripture together. The preaching of the gospel at a church/camp (cf. Day of Pentecost) was the key since faith comes by hearing the Word. The Holy Spirit did the work, not indoctrination, not grannie. Jesus influenced people to faith in Him as did Paul, Peter, John, etc. The foolishness of preaching is the power of God for those who are being saved, but the scoffers/mockers, those who are perishing think it is foolishness. God knows more than you do (Rom. 1:16; I Cor. 1:18).

• factfinder
    factfinder

@PC- LOL!!!!!!!

• steve2
    steve2

The guy seems totally oblivious to how deeply off-putting he is - a bit like men who rudely hit on women and have absolutely no idea how offensive women find their antics. The mission drives the egregious behaviour.

I magine being in the company of anyone - Christian, non-Christian, non-believer, activist - who pursues people with a non-stop verbal diatribe and won't take no for an answer. It's not the belief system that "makes" people this way, but the behaviour that is sanctioned and/or promoted by the group one belongs to.

It's deplorable and yet: not too long ago, JWs were well known for putting their foot in the doors. Rutherford turned many of them into verbal bullies in the 1930s and 1940s and then when the anti-JW persecution started, the Watchtower cried ""Unfair!".

• godrulz
    godrulz

Many believers/churches would not condone this guy's style.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    godrulz: Many believers/churches would not condone this guy's style.

Well, now, what's important is what GAWD does or doesn't condone.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    godrulz: God knows more than you do.

Your petulant little god? Okay, then I propose a simple spelling bee: me and him - today, 5/6/11, at high noon, CST. But if he's a no-show, it's automatic forfeiture.

• JRK
    JRK

OMG! This clip makes me glad I am in no religion now.

JK

• godrulz
    godrulz

On judgment day, the issue will not be jerky religionists. You are right to reject mortal men who irk you, but when you look at the Lord Jesus Christ in His glory, majesty, beauty, love, holiness (including His life, death, resurrection, reign), are you right to reject Him? You do not need religion, but you do need Jesus. You cannot find fault with Him, but you will always find fault with His followers. Those who love Jesus are also commanded to love fellow believers, warts and all, and even our enemies. Your Kingdom of Self/godplaying is more odious to God than your offense at fallible men who can be fools.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit