Of All of The Automobils You Have Ever Owned Which One Was Your Favorite?

by Was New Boy 75 Replies latest jw friends

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

Wish I knew how to attach a photo of my favorite car....the photo bucket method dosen't work for me.

• brizzzy
    brizzzy

There's a little "insert/edit image" button in the comment section...it's greenish, looks like a picture of a tree or something. If you have the photo on facebook or anywhere else on the internet, you can right-click and select "Copy Image URL" and then you're set.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

All the other poncy things that were called sports cars over the years have never been as original, and raw, as a Morgan.

Harumph.

My favourite has been, and still is, my 1968 Jaguar E-type open two seater. It is also at 29 years the car I have owned the longest. In second place is my 1954 Jaguar XK120 SE OTS which I have owned for 20 years. The E-type is an open headlight variant series one (Series 1 1/2, to the great unwashed) with triple SU carburetters so is the only full powered dohc 6 cyl 285 bhp E-type safe to drive at speed at night. 4 wheel disc brakes with the rears inboard and torsion bar suspension to reduce unsprung weight, IRS and very tight rack & pinion steering. It was, like the XK120, at the time of its initial release the fasted production car in the world. There is an E-type on permanent display at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The body is sleek and aerodynamic but does not do a good job of staying on the ground above 130 mph, which is near its top end with the 3.54 differential. With the 3.07 differential fitted to non-NA cars the car would do 150 mph, which is just plain scary.

Worst car I ever owned for reliability was a 1971 Toyota Celica, followed closely by my 1974 Volvo station wagon, which also was the ugliest car I have ever owned. I sold my 1976 Chevrolet Camaro to buy the used Volvo when my wife got pregnant with twins. I loved the Camaro, hated the Volvo. But I also had a 1967 MGB roadster at the time, which I sold to buy the E-type. Come to think of it, that MGB was a really nice car, too.

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

When I use the attach photo button and enter the URL, all that shows up in my post is a little empty box. If I enter the URL from facebook in, ALL my photos are accesable. (not good)

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The E-type is an open headlight variant series one (Series 1 1/2, to the great unwashed) with triple SU carburetters so is the only full powered dohc 6 cyl 285 bhp E-type safe to drive at speed at night. 4 wheel disc brakes with the rears inboard and torsion bar suspension to reduce unsprung weight, IRS and very tight rack & pinion steering. It was, like the XK120, at the time of its initial release the fasted production car in the world.

That is a wonderful car - I have always wanted one.

I actually took a test drive back in about 1970 when I owned a 1969 Porsche 911T Targa. It overheated in city driving and did not feel as fast off the line as the Porsche.

And, I was a young kid at the time, so it was not to be.

• exwhyzee
  • ramtrucker
    ramtrucker

It would have to be the '48 Plymouth 2-dr Sedan I bought for the princely sum of $50 in Rapid City, S.D. back in June of 1961 after my first wife and I moved to that busy metropolis. It was dependable, got me where I wanted to go and delivered 21-22 mpg at 55-60 mph.

Second most favorite would be the '61 Dodge Lancer 2-dr. I owned several years later. It too gave great mileage, 21-24 mpg at 60 mph and higher freeway speeds.

My vehicle of choice today is a 2005 Dodge Caravan. It gets my wife and my three dogs where I want to go and will run the legs off most jackrabbits. LOL

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

I actually took a test drive back in about 1970 when I owned a 1969 Porsche 911T Targa. It overheated in city driving and did not feel as fast off the line as the Porsche.

The last 6 cylinder E-types were made in 1970. After that a V12 was shoehorned into them to get them back to the old pre-emissions controls power of the triple SU carb 6's. The E-type you drove in 1970 was gutless, about 40 bhp less than the original. But you're right about overheating. Stop and go traffic is not this car's favourite situation, even with a new rad and water pump. The 911 was a better car from an engineering standpoint, I think, but just not as beautiful.

• pontoon
    pontoon

1966 Hemi Charger. Two four barrels, hooker headers, Iskerdarian valve train and race cam, Accel Ignition, Ansen Sprint mags with 10" Mohawks on rear, all under the fender, not raised up.......the list goes on

• james_woods
    james_woods
    The last 6 cylinder E-types were made in 1970. After that a V12 was shoehorned into them to get them back to the old pre-emissions controls power of the triple SU carb 6's. The E-type you drove in 1970 was gutless, about 40 bhp less than the original. But you're right about overheating. Stop and go traffic is not this car's favourite situation, even with a new rad and water pump. The 911 was a better car from an engineering standpoint, I think, but just not as beautiful.

Yup - we in the U.S. were just starting the decades-long decline in performance due to primative emissions control. I did drive the V12 a year or two later as well, but it was just a total mess.

Porsche was able to keep up and stay at the head of the pack by simply increasing displacement year by year.

I agree with you that the E-type may have been the most beautiful car of its era - probably only a few of the Ferrari models could compete for looks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit