Do people praying out loud in public disturb you?

by Mad Sweeney 57 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

The Message Bible doesn't pull any punches!

Syl

• trevor
    trevor

People talking loudly in public disturb me. I don't care which god they believe they are talking to or whether they are discussing their pet subject with their best mate.

A moderate voice is a sign of consideration for others.

• miseryloveselders
    miseryloveselders

Matthew 6:5 is ringing in my head like a cowbell right now.

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full."

There's times I'm out in public at a fast food joint or resteraunt, and I'll pray silently and discreetly. I figure its a private affair, between me and God at that point, there's no reason for me to share it will everyone else in the joint. Another thing I've been doing lately is simply just saying thanks to God and Jesus for my life and anything I'm partaking of on this earth since it comes from them. I don't say amen and I don't pray in Jesus' name because I'm not asking for anything. (John 14:13) I'm simply saying thank you.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Misery, for such a smart-aleck, you can be really profound at times.

This is one of those times.

Thank you.

Amen.

Syl

PS: I recant my threat to go upside yo' nappy head.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

I hope it works. . .

For the third time, members of a church group in Georgia will gather to pray for stability in the economy, lower fuel prices, and peace in the Middle East. Where will they gather? The gas station of their local Kroger, where else?

"If it doesn't drop down to nothin' but ten cents, I'm happy with that. But what I really want to believe God to do is drop down $1.50, hey, I'm glad with that, too," the group's pastor told a reporter from TV station WMAZ. The group hopes that there will be more prayer vigils on the first Saturday of every month for the near future.

No matter what your religious beliefs might be, we can all agree: this is still more effective than Internet-generated gas boycotts.

http://consumerist.com/2011/04/church-group-to-pray-at-gas-station-for-lower-fuel-prices.html

Meanwhile, we can _____ in one hand and hope in the other, and marvel as one fills up more quickly.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

I never understood why christians pray before meals but not other things.

Shouldn't you pray before entering your home to give thanks for shelter?

Shouldn't you pray at least once a day before inhaling thanking god for the oxygen?

shouldnt a christian give thanks before dressing each morning for having been clothed?

Why does food get a special prayer of its own but the other necessaties of life just get lumped in with the generic "thank you for everything lord"?

• designs
    designs

Back when I first Pioneered in the 60's a Presiding Overseer would take us Pioneers out to lunch and stand at the head of the table and say an out loud prayer so everyone in the restaurant heard. It was dive under the table from embarrasment time

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't pray before each meal, home or away.

I do give thanks throughout the day and night for just being.

To each his own, I say.

Syl

• designs
    designs

Namaste!

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Ditto Matthew 6:5, I find it obnoxious. Peace, Lilly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit