Do people praying out loud in public disturb you?

by Mad Sweeney 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary
    Mr. Falcon said: praying discreetly is one thing, but praying out loud could mean that you're an asshat.

Bingo. Actually, even when I was a Dub, I don't recall any other Dubs praying out loud in a restaurant. They would close their eyes and say a silent prayer of thanks, and I don't see anything wrong with that. Sounds like some dipshit is trying to be a Superfine Apostle by drawing attention to themselves. If they only knew how stupid they looked.............

On a side note, I don't recall Jesus ever praying out loud, except for when he was dying (and I think that's perfectly understandable). Other than that, he always prayed in private or just in front of his followers didn't He?

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

Here's a twist yrs and yrs ago at an Assembly at Natick Ma.

I was 15 and we were having lunch when a Sister approached my Mom and said... Excuse me Sister but I didn't see you pray before you started having your meal!!!

I burst out laughing my Mom told her to mind her Business in the most Christan Way....

I never Said a Prayer in Public... even when I was a Pioneer! I thought it did look as if you were a Lunatic.

And why Thank him for that awful food they gave you....Except when Natick had a Real Kitchen and they had those Awsome Pastrami Sandwiches........ I might have given Thanks to that...

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

praying out loud could mean that you're an asshat

I normally think that, too, Falcon, but these are kids (late teens, early 20s) who are obviously in the middle of an indoctrination that could shape the course of the rest of their lives. They're "asshats in training" if you will.

I'm going to have to look up some agnostic/atheist groups around here and see what they have going on in the way of public education. These religious conservative kids are not only voters, they're going to breed even MORE voters. Ugh.

• james_woods
    james_woods

Do they perhaps think their God can't hear them unless they do this out loud?

• snowbird
    snowbird
    On a side note, I don't recall Jesus ever praying out loud, except for when he was dying (and I think that's perfectly understandable). Other than that, he always prayed in private or just in front of his followers didn't He?

He gave thanks before feeding the 5,000 - Matthew 14, Mark 6, Luke 9, and John 6.

And, before feeding the 4,000+ - Matthew 15 and Mark 8; the prayers were probably audible.

Syl

• wobble
    wobble

Jesus prayed in public for a reason but for us didn't Jesus advocate going in to an interior room to pray in private ?

The example that made me think hard on this at first was, a long time ago, when I was still a Dub, I was walking through one of the big parks in London and I saw a Muslim get out his prayer mat and do his praying very publically, amongst the half-naked sun bathers and other tourists.

I thought "That is so unecessary, to be so "in your face" with his religion, just like a lot of the brothers are"

With public praying I had only ever done a discreet silent jobby, and then only in company with others who did, otherwise I would forget.

I never did believe in shoving my belief upon anybody, which is why my sons never took to the religion, thankfully.

That quote keeps cropping up, but it works here as well: "Religion is like a penis, it is O.K to have one, but do not wave it about in public, and do not shove it down my kid's throats"

• tec
    tec

Syl already mentioned some, so He did give thanks in public. Another place where he praised His Father in public is Matthew 11:25 "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure."

He did tell us to pray privately, but sometimes you might be full of joy and what comes out of you is a great and sincere thanks - no matter where you are. The important thing, I believe, was that you not make a show of praying in public, just to look good before other people, and yet have your heart full of dark and ugly things. No hypocrisy.

Tammy

• tec
    tec

I personally pray in private because this is what he asked us to do. Or silently, if I am out in public. But I think he would be okay with an overjoyed, exuberant thanks, especially if done out of pure love.

Tammy

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I personally pray in private because this is what he asked us to do. Or silently, if I am out in public. But I think he would be okay with an overjoyed, exuberant thanks, especially if done out of pure love.
    Tammy

Amen.

I believe the account below parallels the one in Matthew 11:25, which, for some reason I could not recall until you mentioned it.

You are a treasure, Tammy.

Luke 10:21 At that, Jesus rejoiced, exuberant in the Holy Spirit. "I thank you, Father, Master of heaven and earth, that you hid these things from the know-it-alls and showed them to these innocent newcomers. Yes, Father, it pleased you to do it this way. The Message Bible

Syl

• tec
    tec

'Know-it-alls'

:)

What a great rendering, Syl. Lots of love

Tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit