Do people praying out loud in public disturb you?

by Mad Sweeney 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Mad Sweeney
    Mad Sweeney

I am sitting here in a study lounge. When I got here around 15 minutes ago the only ones here were two young ladies and a young man, sitting around a table with their eyes closed. The young man was talking. After a few seconds of "WTF?" I figured out he was praying. When he finished, one of the young ladies took over. Now the third one is praying. They have all prayed out loud and it has gone on longer than a closing prayer at a District Convention.

I find their faith in their imaginary friend disturbing. The fact that every third or fourth word is "like" only makes it worse.

I'm sitting here mentally shaking my head in pity. So am I a jerk?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

One of my wife's JW sisters and her JW husband do this in public restaurants. Pioneers. Very annoying. Reminds you of the Pharisees who prayed to be seen by men.

• watersprout
    watersprout

No i don't think you are a jerk... I find public praying disturbing... Reminds me when i was a dub and when you went out to eat there was always a public prayer. My dad always used to say one in the car beforehand! lol

When people pray in public it's like they want people to look at them and think ''ooooh look how godly they are''.... Hate it! If you pray it should be between you and your God, not between you, God and whoever is in earshot.

Peace

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

Nothing wrong with talking to yourself in public. As long as you don't touch yourself I'm fine with it, unless of course it's a hot babe.

• tec
    tec

I work in a restaurant. You would be surprised at how many people pray before they eat their meal. The prayer is sometimes silent, but they do link hands; and sometimes murmured quietly.

It always seems like a very personal, private thing between members of the table, at least to me. They just don't want to eat without giving thanks.

Tammy

• Mr. Falcon
    Mr. Falcon

praying discreetly is one thing, but praying out loud could mean that you're an asshat. Your faith is YOUR business. I'm trying to eat my onion rings over here.

Praying openly is only appropriate if your 18:1 horse just fell 2 lengths behind. Then, by all means, pray.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

uggg working in a hospital i get to hear it on a regular basis. when they get loud I need to walk away cuz my blood presure stats going up! Had to lsten to JW elder a few weeks ago. I found it funny

• watersprout
    watersprout
    It always seems like a very personal, private thing between members of the table,

Not if your a dub... They seem to like to draw attention to themselves. The ones i know would stand up and pray! Very embaressing! People would just turn and stare.

We went to a anniversary party a few years back and a prayer was given. The elder that gave the prayer started asking jehovah to help us be well behaved and to know whats right or wrong. I couldn't control myself! I was shaking trying to hold the laughter in... The waitresses/waitors were laughing to so it made me worse. The waitress who was stood next to me must have thought i was a non jw cause i got extra helpings of everything. She was really nice to me. I think any form of public prayer just reminds me of the jw's and i can't bear it.

Peace

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL @ Falcon!

It doesn't bother me.

Now, if some behave as this guy, that would be a problem for me.

Luke 18:9-12 He told his next story to some who were complacently pleased with themselves over their moral performance and looked down their noses at the common people: "Two men went up to the Temple to pray, one a Pharisee, the other a tax man. The Pharisee posed and prayed like this: 'Oh, God, I thank you that I am not like other people—robbers, crooks, adulterers, or, heaven forbid, like this tax man. I fast twice a week and tithe on all my income.'

13 "Meanwhile the tax man, slumped in the shadows, his face in his hands, not daring to look up, said, 'God, give mercy. Forgive me, a sinner.'"

14 Jesus commented, "This tax man, not the other, went home made right with God. If you walk around with your nose in the air, you're going to end up flat on your face, but if you're content to be simply yourself, you will become more than yourself." The Message Bible

Syl

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

You know, maybe because I was embarrassed, when I was a JW I didn't take the closing the eyes and bowing my head too seriously. I just prayed just like I was daydreaming. The irony! I WAS daydreaming! lol

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit