Do people praying out loud in public disturb you?

by Mad Sweeney 57 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird

Matthew 6:5 "And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?

6 "Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.

7 -13 "The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven,
    Reveal who you are.
    Set the world right;
    Do what's best— as above, so below.
    Keep us alive with three square meals.
    Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
    Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
    You're in charge!
    You can do anything you want!
    You're ablaze in beauty!
    Yes. Yes. Yes.

Amen and amen.

Syl

• designs
    designs

Isn't God telepathic...........why pray formally.

• snowbird
    snowbird

God may be telepathic, but some of us are not.

Prayer benefits us, not God.

Syl

• designs
    designs

I talk to waves and whisper SURF's UP!!!, works every time

• snowbird
    snowbird

LOL!

You, sir, are going to be smitten hip and thigh!

Syl

• undercover
    undercover

Bart Simpson:

"Dear God, we paid for this food so thanks for nothing"

• Lunatic Faith
    Lunatic Faith

Praying out loud is embarrassing. Even when I was a pioneer I wouldn't pray in a public place, even silently. But I felt uncomfortable when everyone else I was eating with did.

There was a group from my congregation who visited Bethel in the 90's. They went out to eat at a local restaurant and were seated next to another table filled with visiting JW's. The other table all bowed their heads when their food came and someone used the opportunity to walk off with one of the sisters purse.

We had a local needs on not bowing our heads and closing our eyes in this dishonest world unless we want to lose our valuables. I thought the whole story hilarious!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I don`t mind people praying quietly in a restaurant..But..

I don`t like Prayer Floor Shows..Groups of JWs can be so annoying..

One will Stand and PRAY LOUDLY..

Jehovah we want to thank you for this food..

We want to thank you for helping our persecuted brothers in other countrys..

We want to thank you for the holes in our bums..We want to thank you for all the little Birdies..

We want to thank you for..Ect..ect..ect..

.............................;-)... OUTLAW

• streets76
    streets76

One word comes to mind, "phony."

Like Holden Caulfield, anything that smells phony sends me off. Holden especially hated it when a guy played the piano in a phony way, or people listened to him playing in a phony way.

"If I could play the piano, I'd play it in the goddam closet," he said.

And that's exactly where these idiots should be doing their goddam praying. I think it says as much in the bible.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Outlaw!!!

You are making me laugh out loud - at work!

Syl

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit