I was an Idiot.

by NomadSoul 58 Replies latest jw friends

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

I wasn't an idiot but my parents were back in 1951.

To their own excuse they were in their early 20's, not very well educated, from a poor family background.

Right for the picking you might say .

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I was an idiot 12 year old... baptised. I'd like to think I'm smarter now, having gotten myself out.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

To their own excuse they were in their early 20's, not very well educated, from a poor family background.
    Right for the picking you might say.

That's exactly what got my mother in. Her mother was a JW, but wasn't practicing when my mom and her sibs were growing up. My mom grew up Catholic (her father wouldn't allow my grandmother to make the kids JW...wouldn't even allow the kids to read the bible). My grandmother only told my mom that "God's name is Jehovah" and so when the JW's came a-knockin' when my mom was 21, she just "knew" it was the true religion because they used the name...and supposedly, she had been praying for help in knowing god (yet, knowing my mom, she heard that experience from someone else and somehow it morphed into being her own...). My brother was only a year old at the time and I was a long way off from being thought of. My parents both come from poor and very abusive backgrounds, so mom was definitely ripe for the plucking, while dad studied a little when I was very young, but quit. He converted after I grew up...

• james_woods
    james_woods

This thread is worthless without cat pictures.

• cantleave
    cantleave

I was an idiot too.

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

My grandmother only told my mom that "God's name is Jehovah" and so when the JW's came a-knocking' when my mom was 21, she just "knew" it was the true religion because they used the name.

This sort of inquisitiveness by people goes along way in attracting people to the JWS and might as well provoke starting a study .

If these people know god's name, then they must know about him and how to understand him and his purpose for myself.

One would have to admit that its unusual for anyone to come knocking on your door wanting to talk about god, one usually has to go to

a church for that to happen.

When you think about the fact that the JWS and the WTS have been doing this now for over a century (world wide) and the organization

has only 7 million adherents to-date, says something must be wrong with this religion. Maybe its the culling aspect of how this religion

gains its adherents in the first place or maybe its the pursuing exploitations established on commercialized false doctrines.

For most part I think people get blind sided by the fact that this in reality is a Religious Publishing House.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby
    james_woods - This thread is worthless without cat pictures.

I'm allergic....

• Robdar
    Robdar

For James Woods:

• Searchn4answrs
    Searchn4answrs

Ill co-sign on IDIOT!!

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

@ thetrueone~ What amazes me still is that while inside the org, I thought we had such a strong following. We were told we were hated because there were so many of us and our message "stung like the locusts". 7 MILLION is a lot, right? And WORLDWIDE?? What other religion can claim that? Well, upon exiting, I saw the true level of JW's influence on the world around them. It's almost nil. Aside from a few Supreme Court rulings regarding freedom of speech, they're but a blip on the radar. People fall prey to the WTS because they are so unknown, even though they claim they are well-known in communities for their preaching work... In reality, Mormons are well-known for theirs as well. They and the JW's are more "well-known" for being a nuiscance on a Saturday morning than for their ACTUAL message. Ask any unassuming worldling what they think of JW's and you MIGHT get a response about the blood transfusion refusal issue. You MIGHT get a response about the refusal to celebrate holidays or salute the flag...But more likely, you'll get "Those are the people who knock on your door and sell the Watchtower, right?".

They are known for THAT. Not their message, and even at that , they are not KNOWN worldwide...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit