The last meeting you ever went to.......

by watersprout 58 Replies latest jw friends

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Officially, the last meeting I went to was the memorial in 2000. For the past year I'd known it wasn't "the truth" but I went just to see if I could be moved into attending properly again.

The memorial was so cold and dispassionate that I knew this would be the last time I'd ever go to a meeting.

I did attend a couple more when I'd visit my sister's family out of town but I realised I was only giving her false hope. So I never attended one ever again.

I went to my father's funeral 2 yrs ago which was held in a KH but I don't class that as a meeting. Again, the talk given wasn't encouraging and I couldn't wait to get out of there.

• SlipnSlide
    SlipnSlide

My last real meeting was January 2011, although I did attend the Memorial. Me and my husband moved out of state and we stayed with his parents temporarily. One stipulation for staying there was that we HAD to attend the meetings. This not somthing I wanted to do, but did so anyway. It was used as a way to control my husband because he never took to the truth like the rest of the family. I told his father that I did not appreciate being forced to do anything like that because it would change how I felt about the Borg, and that he should really respect that. He's an onery old fool who'll never change because the "troof" is all he knows. The last meeting that I ever attended at HIS hall (Jan 2011) was memorable because the CO was coming to visit and a part of the meeting was about paying the cost of his expenses. They broke it down to how much that it was going to cost each publisher to help. I looked around at all of those dummies (father-in-law included) voting on doing this, all the while there were some having money issues themselves. I got tired of supporting this religion with my hard earned dollars on men who did not respect me as a woman.

• thenoblelodge
    thenoblelodge

I knew I had to leave when I began tutting really loudly at every stupid remark that came from the platform and comments made during the washtowel. I would tut and my husband would shush me....I had to leave because my husband was at risk of blowing his front teeth out (they are his own lol).

It was the meeting after the memorial 2009. I can still remember the joy as I walked out for the last time, I was walking on air.

Mal

• james_woods
    james_woods

It was a circuit assembly in Oklahoma City - held in the basement of the civic center auditorium. Early on Saturday morning.

I dragged myself in, smelled the stale smell of the frying hamburgers, listened to the "Get out in service and sell some magazines" pep talk for about 2 minutes, and turned around and walked back out.

That '77 Corvette made a nice pattern as I pulled out.

Live free or die - like they famously say.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Like NVR2L8, my last meeting was on 13 June 2010. I had been disfellowshipped in September 2005 and had spent the ensuring years trying to get reinstated. I knew I no longer wanted to be a Witness, but I wanted reinstatement so that I could associate with some very close friends of mine in the organization again. My plan was to get reinstated, and then do a slow fade.

However, I had met with my judicial committee for the umpteenth time on 10 June and requested reinstatement again. They gave no answer that night, but promised me a decision in a few days. On Monday, 14 June, we had a telephone conference call, believe it or not, that involved only two of the committee elders. I thought the whole procedure violated the WTS rules, but I let it slide. I had attended the meeting the previous day, and was transacting business the following day when this drama played out over my cellphone. I was told there were still things I needed to work on and to "have patience" about reinstatement even though it was going on five years.

I didn't argue. I thanked them for their time, such as it was, and have never spoken to them again. So that Sunday was my last meeting. I didn't know it would be at the time. I have had no desire to return for any reason. The Memorial is coming on the seventeenth, and I am determined to stay away. That meeting was always the worst for me. I was treated like scum, and the hostility I felt from the elders in particular always made me regret attending. Besides that, I no longer see the point of celebrating it. Why? Well the provision of the Lord's Supper was to continue until the Lord 'arrived' according to 1 Corinthians 11:26. WTS theology says he arrived in 1914. If that is the case, why are they still celebrating?

Quendi

• VampireDCLXV
    VampireDCLXV

Here's a two-fer!

The last local meeting I was at was mid summer 2008. I had already quit FS (too depressing) and I was only attending meetings sporadically. My mom was visiting at the time and I don't really remember much about the meeting itself except that being around "those people" that I could hardly stand to be around made me deeply uncomfortable, like being the lone rabbit in a room full of coyotes. It was what happened after the meeting that was memorable: I was walking home with mom and on the way we had a big fight over what I thought of the folks in my local congo, about how I thought so many of them were fake and pretentious. My mom would hear none of it and thought I totally had the wrong attitude. After mom went back home from visiting me, remembering the fight we had pretty much killed any remaining motivation I had to go to meetings at all. I was done.

About a year later, I took a week of vacation time to see my sisters and parents out of town and go to the district convention being held out there. I went to a local Sunday meeting with one of my sisters I was staying with along with her husband and at the end of the session, I tried hiding in the lobby and stay out of sight while waiting for sister and husband to finish their business in the KHall. Despite my sending fairly clear signals that I wanted to be left alone, people in the congo decided to try to be friendly and they hassled me anyway. After the meeting, the bro-in-law was rather upset that I was being "rude" and "negative" to his friends and this has been a sore spot between us since. He still is rather wary of me as I am now wary of him. We went to the convention later that week and after that, no more. I haven't seen the inside of a KH, Assembly hall or a District Convention since...

V665V665

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I really cant remember!

I do know i just stopped going.

We moved there as childless reg pioneers serving where the need was greater. What they congregation thought of losing their fave M/s ex pioneer family man i have no idea.

What i am sure of is that my then highly embarresed wife must have told some pretty good stories of my degraded plumit to the gutter of humanity that not one single so called friend even bothered to telephone to see how i was. Ever.

I actually wish i could recall... i must have been fading fast.

oz

• charlie brown jr.
    charlie brown jr.

I can't remember my last meeting... cause I didn't leave on a meeting day or night...

I had a visit from Elders who were very close to me.....

And things happened that I never started.....but decided to End right there and told My So called Friends I was done.

They asked if we could Pray... I said go ahead but don't expect me to join in.

Funny I remember my last C. Assembly at the end I looked around even took a picture and somehow knew it would be my Last.

Even if at that time I had No plan to leave ...but somehow ...I knew!!

I was a popular Brother and what shocked me was No one called or stopped by to see why Charlie Brown Jr. wasn't going to meetings anymore.

I stopped by a Brothers House months later who I saw as a VERY CLOSE Friend.... I had grown a beard and he didn't recognize me and when he saw it was me it was the most Uncomfortable visit I ever had...it lasted 10 mins' so much for Diamond Friends!

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Memorial 2009 after a clean record of not going for 9 months. It was painfull but I'm glad I went to do my last "see you later" will never go again. Except maybe a funeral...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit