How can anybody KNOW god?

by Terry 111 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Terry
    Terry

Humans are to ants what god is to humans....

at least, that is how I see it.

Ants can't KNOW humans or entertain theories and ideas or myths about humanity.

If we step on an anthill they don't mourn and bury their dead and send prayers up to us.

We are just ONE MORE THING they have to deal with.

Humans don't BECOME an ant and live among them and die at their bidding only to rise and save a few for later reward.

Humans don't help a select few ants write a wonderful and inspiring ant bible to enlighten and bond with us.

Ants are extremely different from humans and the twain simply don't meet. We barely tolerate their existence!

But, we humans are convinced god is a guy in the sky. He may not actually have a spirit penis, but, HE is a male of some sort.

We humans are fairly certain about god in many ways. We can list attributes for HIM like a list of things to get at the local 7-11 store.

Justice, Power, Love, Wisdom. Blah blah blah blah.

We have named god or think god has revealed HIS NAME. All over the world there are at least 100+ such names!

Most christians are absolutely sure Jesus was Divine or God himself or part of a Trinity, etc.

The idea that Jesus/God had to take a crap in the bushes and wipe a holy ass does not seem blasphemous in the least!

Surely, no self-respecting christian would attribute man's imperfections to an ALMIGHTY GOD, would they?

Jesus probably had to pee every once in a while and trim nose hairs, belch, cut loud farts and---well, you get the idea!

As GOD, this seems ridiculous, but, as the Son OF...god.....not so bad if we don't think about it too hard.

The more fanatical a christian is the more FIXED are their ideas about what god IS and ISN'T.

That rather makes me ill now....to consider.....that I....myself....had god in a bottle like a kid with a bug.

How can anybody KNOW god?

Isn't this idea simply the result of all those bible stories we have heard ten thousand times since we were babies?

Like George Washington chopping down his father's cherry tree or William Tell shooting an apple off his son's head or

Romulus and Remus being raised by a she-wolf?

How DARE WE!

If there is such a thing as a sin against the Holy Spirit it simply MUST include attributing human characteristics to an Almighty Supreme Being!

Yet, we are very comfortable with God speaking in our ear. Yes OUR OWN ear like a drinking buddy at a local bar.

Millions of people die every day in disasters without "god" lifting a finger (seemingly) to help---yet, god OUR GOD talks to US and is personally

interested in our petty problems!!

How?

How did we become so........so.....cocksure we aren't just ants? Isn't it solely because of that old storybook?

Or, is it an emotional superstitious tingly feeling that comes over us like a shivering wet dream? Is god that simple?

I think we are ants and god (GAWD AMIGHTY!) is so .....OTHER......so different.....so beyond our species we are only fooling ourselves

like an infant with its own thumb in its mouth.

What do you say?

• james_woods
    james_woods

One of the few primary things about the Old Testament that I really admire is the notion that man could be like god if he would use his own intelligence and make his own free will decisions.

A great deal of modern science (both biological and computer related science) has concerned itself with this feature of human thought.

An ant is on a far different level - but I am not so sure that mankind is as far removed from whatever "god" is than ant from man.

After all, there is a very real possibility that man invented the idea of God. Unless you take the ridiculous position that ALL human religions were really inspired by their respective "gods".

• jay88
    jay88

I feel the same way.

Growing up I would always hear the bible verses from proverbs about the ants and their industriousness and how as witnessess we should be the same way in service to jehovah, as well as our employer.

However, I now view the passage as some rich bored king that was observing his kingdom as he observed the ants.

I would hear the statement "Be as the ants".

That for me means to not be concerned about the existance of god, but to be the best human you can be (toward yourself and others).

To not let god or the love of god be your motivation for actions........

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

If god wasn't all powerful, all knowing, all omniscient, the grand creator of all things, would knowing god have any purposeful use to man ?

As long as god is all of the things in conceptual ideology with humans, its easy to see why so many men are willing to place themselves

in this almighty power as an uplift for their own self identity and stature in a social environment.

Men are preconceived what god will bring to them, it just takes a little ambition and perseverance and the glory (power) of god will come to them

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

spirit penis... interesting idea.

i also always wondered how some people would know more about god than me. one day i just didn't buy it anymore. most who think they know god are either mislead, on drugs or have a mental issue.

after all, god is not necessary. at least not that retarded apathetic god most christians seem to believe in.

• tec
    tec

Know Christ... know God.

The problem with humans and ants is that humans did not create ants. Now if humans are just a by-product of creation and an impersonal creator, then yes... ants and humans.

But if our creator took a vested interest in us as his creation, and created us in his image (no matter how we might have messed that up)... then it becomes possible to know him. Then the idea of him sending One in His name, to teach us and to show us Truth... one who IS the image of God... is not so far-fetched.

So I guess it depends on what you believe.

Tammy

• J. Hofer
    J. Hofer

so you say god sent one in his name to teach us and show us truth... why didn't he knock on my door?

but really, this does sound kinda far-fetched...

• thetrueone
    thetrueone

But if our creator took a vested interest in us as his creation, and created us in his image.

I always found that peculiar that god made man in his own image....really ?

Why would a god of great spiritual significance look like anything like a human with nose, hands, feet

and so forth. Maybe it's that endearing connection with god that men have been trying to make

for the past thousand years, that proposes that well he's just a regular guy, a strong guy but just a guy.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Ants can't KNOW humans or entertain theories and ideas or myths about humanity.
    If we step on an anthill they don't mourn and bury their dead and send prayers up to us.

How do you know they don't, Terry?

• jay88
    jay88

to teach us and to show us Truth...

Truth is existance without illusion We don't need Jesus to point that out.

created us in his image

is that from what you read or experienced?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit