Anyone here have any experience with the "super-natural"?

by Knowsnothing 114 Replies latest jw experiences

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits
    SBC: That's a bit of a strawman, isn't it? Who ever made that claim?
    Mary: Surely you jest. This is exactly the claim made by many on this board over the years(and elsewhere) to downplay the possibility of something 'supernatural'. They demand evidence that can be verfied and studied in physical terms. If that is not available, then the stories are pooh-poohed as being nothing more that someone's over-active imagination, the result of mental illness or an old house making weird noises.

I do jest but not right now. It may appear to be only a slight difference in what you said vs what most scientists claim but please think about the implications. You said...

"Just because something cannot be measured, studied, dissected and observed in a controlled laboratory and then written by someone with a PhD in a peer-reviewed journal, doesn't mean it can't happen."

... but that is not the thinking of the scientific community. Who says real, unexplainable events can't happen? I've never heard a real scientist say that. There's so much that science has yet to discover. The issue is when people slap their own explanation on an unexplained event just because they can't explain it any other way. This is why ancient peoples thought that deities lived in volcanoes and demons caused convulsions. They knew no other explanations so they assigned their own: spirits.

My opinion, and this subtlety may not make much difference to you but it's massive to me, is that before something is stated as a fact, I feel it should survive the consistent scrutiny of the scientific method. Well, not everything (like what I ate for lunch)... but extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, IMO.

Otherwise, what standard should I accept claims that people make?

I do think that many occurances can have a rational explanation, but many experiences that people have do not. I'm unsure as to what I believe at the moment, but I don't concede that everyone who has these experiences are off their meds, or on too many meds, or paranoid delusional. Strange shit happens that defies what we know of in our present physical world.

I agree 100%! Did you read the Ghost in the Machine, cited earlier? To me it is an example of how even a very rational, logical mind can be persuaded to think the unexplained is an invisible entity.

Lowkey-lysmith's experience is an excellent example. I will assume that he is of sound mind, does not take hallucinagetic drugs and is not mentally disturbed. How exactly do you explain what happened to him?

There are SO many variables involved that it would be senseless to try to explain it, other than to say I'd go with Occam's Razor: the simplest explanation is usually the right one. The laws of physics (ie, low frequency standing wave) could be responsible for all of it. My point is that his experience is unexplained and, for the open-minded thinker, should remain so until further evidence becomes available.

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

I have a hard time accepting what people "perceive" with their own two eyes, specifically because of things like this....

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/200510/1/Amazing-footage-Sign-of-the-end

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

Things that we view as supernatural 0r at least outside our understanding of nature, today can become commonplace in the future.

EXample would be a "virgin conception", it was a miracle and supernaturla 2000 years ago, but today it can be a a commonplace occurance in regards to the fact tha it can happen and quite "naturally".

• SweetBabyCheezits
    SweetBabyCheezits

Hey, psac, how goes it? Good to see your avatar again.

Psac: EXample would be a "virgin conception", it was a miracle and supernaturla 2000 years ago, but today it can be a a commonplace occurance in regards to the fact tha it can happen and quite "naturally".

I thought it was supposedly in no small part due to the involvement of YHWH that the virgin conception miracle happened? Are you saying there deities running around impregnating women today? And, if so, how does one protect his wife from these guys? (Or at least collect child support? Because groceries are getting damned expensive.)

• andrekish
    andrekish

This post from another topic but more relevant here.

Hi Nickolas 'how do you know that it isn't your brain just making stuff up? I think it can be difficult to determine what is real and what is not real'

I absolutely, 100 per cent, totally agree with you.

But I truly keep getting images of future events before they happen and then later they REALLY happen. I haven't got a clue why, really I haven't, and everyone I've asked has failed to answer 'coz they don't know why either. But this does happen to me and since everybody on this planet carries the same DNA syntax in every cell it makes us all capable of experiencing this phenomena. I call this a phenomena because it is real and I cannot explain it. I am not trying to highlight myself as a person. Because this does happen to me I know that for some reason, whatever it may turn out to be, this cannot be delusional as what I see in my head later happens. It is absolutely mental. In the mind. And I do not know how a thing that relies on physicallity for it's existance such as any human brain can see into the future. As a phenomena it is weird and defies any scientific or logical reasoning. But it happens.

By way of daft example. I sat with friends watching a preview program four hours before an England soccer match. As we watched a well known celebrity psychic called Yuri Geller put pictures of five English players on the screen and asked the viewers to put their hands on the screen and wish them well. I was curious and couldn't see how this would influence anything. As I put my hand on the screen I got a image each time of what what later happen to that player including that of a player called Wayne Rooney being carried off of the pitch on a stretcher. As each image occurred I immediately said aloud what I had seen including the words: 'Wayne Rooney is going to break his leg tonight...No, it won't be quite that serious he is going to break his foot.' This truly, truly happened. Four hours later during the game Wayne Rooney was stretchered from the pitch with a broken metatarsul bone in his foot. Indeed, what I had seen for every player whose photo had been shown actually happened. My friends keep telling me to take part in the lottery but the only horses I've ever backed have come in last.

On another occassion I predicted the scorer for each of the 8 scored goals minutes before each one was scored. All 8 images that I got in my head were correct. The odds would have been fantastic and would have broken any bookmaker if I'd had a bet with them.

It does make me realise that something concrete is occuring beyond the scientific realms and it's just one of the reasons I suspect that God is alive and kicking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit