Who's old enough to remember Queen for a Day?

by Nickolas 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

When I was a kid back in the late 50's / early 60's (yes, I am very old, now let's move on) there was a television program that capitalised on the lives of miserable women. It was my mom's favourie. Each day Monday to Friday there would be four women on the show, each with a sad story to tell. The woman who had the saddest story got to be Queen for a Day and all the show's sponsors would shower goodies upon her. First generation reality TV and a modern object lesson on cynicism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w37Diw6wk48

Anybody else decrepit enough to remember this little gem?

• DagothUr
    DagothUr

I wanna be queen for a day too! Wait, I think Larsinger covered that...

• Curtains
    Curtains

sta-soft laundry rinse is still around

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

I also watched the Howdy Doody Show..Gene Autrey show..listened to "The Shadow"..on the radio..was that the one that opened with a squeeky door? Helped us kids to have a great imigination..nothing like listening to a mystery story on the radio..

Snoozy

Looked up the squeaking door..it was a creaking door and it was " The Inner Sanctum"..

• wobble
    wobble

We did not have Q for a Day here in the U.K But it puts me in mind of an old proverb:

"Once a Queen, always a Queen, but once a (k)night is enough for any man ! ".

• compound complex
    compound complex

Yes, Nickolas ... watched upon the tiny screen of our otherwise huge Dumont console.

CC

• poppers
    poppers

Yup, I remember that. Who's got the most pathetic story? You're "Queen for a Day!"

• TotallyADD
    TotallyADD

At the ripe age of 5 I remember my mom watching Queen for a Day. Oh my God who is that person in the Mirror???? Totally ADD

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I remember it, and I love Lucy, and the real McCoys. I'm 58. Art Linletter and Arthur Godfrey, Danny Thomas show

and I love Bob, with Bob Cummings.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes I remember them all....at 83+...Now all that seems to be on is
    shootings ,sex, swearing,or fighting.The funny ones now are
    "One foot in the Grave" & Birds of A Feather"
    my 2 cents

Mouthy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit