Who's old enough to remember Queen for a Day?

by Nickolas 56 Replies latest jw friends

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

Nick we done took your thread and ran away didn't we ? I'm sorry

hey, go for it.

• jam
    jam

I remerber Queen for A Day, and every Sat. nite, The Hit Parade,

Lawrence Welk and Gun smoke. At 12am the TV would shut down

for the day, three stations only. 2,4 and 7.

Nancy drew mention the Millionaire, remerber people would

say wow A million dollars you could not spend that much money

in A life time..

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I remember it. We didn't do birthdays because of the borg, but I remember as an 8 year old, making my mom "queen for a day". I made presents for her, and tried to make my mom feel special for the day. My grandma helped me with the things I couldn't do myself.

My mom loved it.

Coffee

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Yes. Jack Bailey and Jean Cagney. We loved it!

• willyloman
    willyloman

While we're strolling down memory lane: Our cable system shows reruns of "Maverick" every morning (a series that ran from 1957 to 1960). Watching Maverick is one of my earliest memories, because 1957 or '58 was when we first got TV. I started taping them recently. Can't get that jingle out of my head: "Natchez to New Orleans, livin' on jacks and queens, Maverick is a legend of the west..."

• wasblind
    wasblind

Wow,

talk about westerns, I used to love the Virginian

that still come on as reruns But It's on a channel I

don't get in my cable package

• wasblind
  • jam
    jam

Wasblind; That,s why I wanted to be A cowboy when I grew up.

Raw hide, did it for me.

• TD
    TD
    TVs were all tubes back then and broke down a lot. TV repairmen came to your house and the worst news they could give you is "your picture tube is gone." The first colour TV I saw was one of my uncle's. This was the early 60's.

I remember going up to the hardware store with my father with every other tube from the whole set in a shoe box so he could test them one by one on their machine. Sometimes he could get it fixed himself and sometimes he'd have to break down and call a repairman. That happened more times than I can count.

I remember that it was mostly just primetime shows that were televised in color at first. Even if you had a color set, a lot of the shows were still black & white. If the announcer said something like, "Stay tuned for Gunsmoke -- in color" everybody would perk up even if they didn't like westerns.

• jam
    jam

Anyone remerber A plastic wrap that you could attach to

your TV screen for color..or was it my imagination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit