Who's old enough to remember Queen for a Day?

by Nickolas 56 Replies latest jw friends

• moshe
    moshe

My mom watched that show sometimes- and she love the soap, As The World Turns, it was new back then. You are really old, if you know what show, the line " Yoohoo, Mrs Bloom" , came from. (Before I love Lucy)

• Ding
    Ding

I remember Queen for a Day.

I remember wondering:

1. If there were really that many miserable people

2. How they all happened to connect with the show

3. How they all managed to get to where the show originated when they were dirt poor

4. What happened to the poor women who LOST on Queen for a Day

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

iWhen I was very young, Queen for a Day mesmerized me. My mom was a big fan. She watched one half hour soap, As the World Turns, Art Linkletter, and Queen for a Day. My father treated my mom like crap. I loved my mother but wondered why she wasn't treated nicely. The roses, robe, crown and throne appealed to the little girl in me. Yes, how a woman should be treated - in very sharp contrast to my JW mother who wore a dog print dress at her wedding and had to pay for her wedding ring. As I grew older, I paid more attention to the stories. A child was severely crippled or dying and the family faced utter ruin all the time. The audience actually applauded the story. If I recall correctly, the saddest, most histrionic story won.

It certainly celebrated victimization. My brother has cerebral palsy. CP centers were just beginning. Our lives were shaped by his cp to an very large extent. He has a minimal case but early intervention helped. So I was raised in this suffering ethic. Sick show but it defined my TV experience.

I was at the Romper Room stage. Fury, Lassie, the Rifleman, Wagontrain, Lone Eagle, Broken Arrow, -oh, I was in the peanut gallery for Howdy Doodie. They filmed in NY. Rin, Tin, Tin, Sky King and Penny, Flipper, Walt Disney, the Mouseketeers. The mouseketeers were my favorite as a child. I so much wanted to be a Mouseketeer. As I aged, Anette Funicello being Ms. Perfect and doing every damn role annoyed me. I grew to despise Annette. Bob Cummings, Jackie Gleason, Andy Griffith. Some shows were local NY shows. Shari Lewis and Lamb Chop. Commercials were crazy. I'd cry for those toys to end my boredom. Very rarely, I did get one. It never worked like on the commercial. The kids were always excited and animated. The toy was boring for me. I could not understand why it wasn't so much fun for me.

• blondie
    blondie

I hate to admit I remember that show, I was about 4 though. I remember Arthur Godfrey. But my favorite was the Original Mickey Mouse Club.

• Nickolas
    Nickolas

You are really old, if you know what show, the line " Yoohoo, Mrs Bloom" , came from.

I have to admit that I'm stumped on that one, moshe. Maybe something we didn't get where we were.

But my favorite was the Original Mickey Mouse Club.

Mine was "The Adventures of ..... Superman!"

botr, we were poor but my dad treated my mom like a princess, so I feel for you and your experience. We had a four room war-time bungalow. Four kids in one small bedroom and our parents in the other. Pot bellied stove for heating in the kitchen/dining room and a living room with second hand furniture. I think the TV may have been bought used too. I can also identify with the CP. My cousin was born 3 months before I was with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck and he barely survived. My mom said the last trimester of her pregnancy with me was filled with dread. My cousin had (and has, he's 59 and still alive) severe CP, was one of six kids and his condition shaped the lives of his entire family, which was also poor. I remember having to use the outhouse whenever we visited. The thing about remembering all these old TV programs is all the other memories that come up, too. They may have been simpler times, but I'm glad they're behind me.

• wasblind
    wasblind

Band on the Run,

You forgot Captain Kangaroo!!!!!!

• AnneB
    AnneB

The Dave Garroway Show (first thing in the morning)

Roy Rogers and Dale Evans (my sister was "Anne Oakley", I was "Dale Evans"...we played at that for hours)

The Amos & Andy Show (worked on the radio but not on TV...hmmmm, wonder why?)

Polly Bergen advertising Pepsi

Who was the woman in the commercials for Muriel cigars?

Pepsodent! Ipana!

As The World Turns

Days of Our Lives

My grandmother took care of me when I was very young. She watched a lot of TV and I slept on the sofa.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit