The mormons vs the jw?

by Nicolas 60 Replies latest jw friends

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yardick.
    The only thing I can see relevant to your question is that God lives close to a star called "Kolob". This is apparently explained in the "book of Abraham".A revolution of Kolob around its central sun takes 1000 years. Thus Gods reckoning time in thousand year lots.

(Reference-Fawn Brodies "No man knows my history" page 172)

More...
    The "Ensign" (Mormon WT) article from Jan,1998 certainly indicates that a "premortal" council in heaven got together and planned that Adam would come to Earth to sin, and Jesus would come to earth to redeem us. It was all predestined and preplanned.
    The article says (page 15)..."We know from latter day revelation that our existance did not begin with our birth on this earth and that we are eternal beings"....

Preexistant beings coming,by agreement,into this physicality for the purpose of experiencing "Fallenness". New Agers will recognize this belief as their own belief in "Seperation". The Mormons are a New Age group!!
    Yardirf, what do you think of that?

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Refiners fire

If they DO hold these beliefs still, they are covered over from public view. Anyone going to a Mormon meeting for the first time will hear nothing of such beliefs.
    Does such explain why Susan hasn't gotten back with me in order to address the questions I asked? Perhaps so, but maybe she hasn't had the time. I guess we will see.

Anyway, Refiners fire, thanks for filling me in on what you have learned. Am I to assume that you were once a Mormon yourself? How is it that you know so much about their publications etc.?

One question though. You said:

God lives close to a star called "Kolob". This is apparently explained in the "book of Abraham".A revolution of Kolob around its central sun takes 1000 years.
    I'm not understanding what you are saying. You referred to this supposed "Kolob" as a "star". Didn't you perhaps mean to say that "Kolob" was a planet instead? The reason I ask is because, although there are some pairs of stars (suns) that revolve around each other, most usually we think of planets revolving around their sun (or star). But then you speak of "its central sun", leaving me trying to picture what exactly you have in mind.

I'm all ears for anything more that you have to say regarding such peculiar beliefs of the Mormons. I really wish though that someone such as Susan was here to verify whether or not such beliefs are still held to. Perhaps she is afraid of opening herself up to ridicule ... and sorta like giving what is considered holy to dogs I guess.

Thanks again.

Yadirf

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• Yadirf
    Yadirf

Abaddon

You and I both have an attitude. The only difference is that I admit it, and you don't. That makes my attitude better than yours.

Daniel 11:35 ... a KEY prophecy that must be fulfilled before the "time of the end" gets underway.

• sadiejive
    sadiejive

I was told, but am unsure of the credibility of this claim, that in the Mormon religion it is taught that women cannot enter heaven, only men. Instead a name is given to her by her husband that only he knows, and when he dies he calls upon her.

Is this true??

Sadie

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Sadiejive,

No, it's not accurate, but is typical of the half truths people hear somewhere and seem to remember forever. The current president of the Church recently said that Mother Theresa is in heaven, and, as far as I know, she never married. She's probably about as single as a woman can get. Bottom line, no person can either bring an unworthy woman into heaven, nor keep a worthy woman out. Same goes for worthy and unworthy men. There is probably nothing in all of eternity that is more an individual matter than where any of us end up spending it.

As for the name thing, IF he is worthy, and IF she is worthy, he MAY be given the honor and privilege of being the one who reaches out his hand to lead her with him into heaven. Those are two huge if's.

Hope that helps!

Susan

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, all,

I'm not dodging your questions or avoiding answering. No reason to, since I have nothing to gain or lose whether what I say is accepted, respected, rejected, or trashed. I say what is accurate, and leave the rest to the reader.

But I only had a few brief minutes today for computer time so could only respond to a very quick question. I hope to have more time tomorrow.

I appreciate those who have made kind comments! Thank you!

Susan

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Yadirf.
    Well, I think youll find that the Sun, our own sun, rotates around the centre of the Milky way.Everythings moving.
    Hell, Im only quoting what the Mormon books say anyway.
    Maybe the planet God lives on rotates around Kolob over a thousand years.
    I never been a Mormon, really, though I went to meetings for a while.
    But I do have a lot of their books and magazines, which Ive read, and Im just quoting from them.
    Our friend Susan, you will note, hasnt addressed anything that I have said so far. Guess there must be a reason for that eh? Maybe she cant refute any of it.

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Hi, Detective,

Nice name, by the way. You asked about my religious background, familywise...

Basically protestant. Very strong religous family. Very opinionated. Also, very divided, obviously, into liberal protestant, SDA, LDS, JW and ultra-conservative protestant. Several ministers in the bunch.

No, family gatherings have been impossible for many years, since only parts of the family can be in the same place at the same time without fireworks. Very sad. Religion should make people more loving and easy to get along with, not less so.

Susan

• SusanHere
    SusanHere

Billygoat,

Thanks for your comments re. lack of loving responses from JW family...You really hit it on the head, better than I've seen anyone word it before.

Susan

• butalbee
    butalbee

Okay, so where do the Amish fit in?????????

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit